A tougher line on speeding?

reohn2

Re: A tougher line on speeding?

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in Britain and on the continent, right through London and Berlin etc

I have surely gone too fact occasionally but I have never been caught

I understand that to be caught one must be doing 30+%+x, maybe 37 mph

Are your neighbours ashamed of themselves?

I knew a woman now dead,who was caught speeding(static camera that she knew was there) 33mph in a 30 limit,she thought it harsh £60 +3 points at the time she wasn't given the option of a safety course as they weren't available at the time.
She wasn't ashamed just felt she'd made a small mistake.

How did you learn about this case?
Seems people are NOT ashamed, else they would try not to tell anyone, right?

Her misdemeaner came out in conversation we were having about driving,as I recall at the time there was a craze for some drivers to fit blue lights in place of their side light bulbs* and she was saying that she'd pulled over to the side thinking she was holding up a police car on an eremergence call only to be passed by Mr Tw@tinahatchback(my term not hers).

*The craze has re-emerged around these parts(I've even seen a couple of HGVs on the motorway similarly adorned :? ) along with illegal script reg plates,but nothing gets done about them :? .
There's a Tw@tinajag who lives close to me who was driving about on false reg plates for three,that's THREE years,before being caught despite numerous reporting by his neighbours,and surprise surprise when he was he had no VED,MOT or insurance.
Same wide boy was also driving anther car with different reg plates front and back for a number of months without ever being caught,again in spite of numerous complaints from various people.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I knew a woman now dead,who was caught speeding(static camera that she knew was there) 33mph in a 30 limit,she thought it harsh £60 +3 points at the time she wasn't given the option of a safety course as they weren't available at the time.
She wasn't ashamed just felt she'd made a small mistake.

How did you learn about this case?
Seems people are NOT ashamed, else they would try not to tell anyone, right?

Her misdemeaner came out in conversation we were having about driving,as I recall at the time there was a craze for some drivers to fit blue lights in place of their side light bulbs* and she was saying that she'd pulled over to the side thinking she was holding up a police car on an eremergence call only to be passed by Mr Tw@tinahatchback(my term not hers).

*The craze has re-emerged around these parts(I've even seen a couple of HGVs on the motorway similarly adorned :? ) along with illegal script reg plates,but nothing gets done about them :? .
There's a Tw@tinajag who lives close to me who was driving about on false reg plates for three,that's THREE years,before being caught despite numerous reporting by his neighbours,and surprise surprise when he was he had no VED,MOT or insurance.
Same wide boy was also driving anther car with different reg plates front and back for a number of months without ever being caught,again in spite of numerous complaints from various people.

That sort of Real Crime could be easily detected with cameras
I really hate the trucks with extra lights
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:That sort of Real Crime could be easily detected with cameras
I really hate the trucks with extra lights

The point is that 3mph over the limit in this case is a misdemeaner,whilst so much dangerous road crime goes undetected daily and which is far easier to detect.
A lot of my driving is on motorways and the utter dangerous madness I witness on a very regular basis ie;multiple times per trip,is crazy.

I can take you to a traffic light controlled A and B road,5 road junction within 3 miles of where I live that I witness dangerous and lunatic driving almost everytime I use it,it would be the simplest thing in the world to stop it but it simply isn't.

I'll put it to you that the people causing the problems and causing the dangers on UK roads aren't the 3mph over the limit drivers,but those who are driving like theres no tomorrow and their antics are becoming more prevalent and risky.
Whilst on the OTOH those who rack up speeding tickets and points,present themselves before a judge with the right lawyer and a good sob story claiming that they'll lose their job if they lose their licence.
And Hey Presto! we have people driving around with umpteen points on their licences.It's freaking CRAZY!!!!!
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:I'll put it to you that the people causing the problems and causing the dangers on UK roads aren't the 3mph over the limit drivers,but those who are driving like theres no tomorrow and their antics are becoming more prevalent and risky.

And I put it to you that the risky problematic dangerous drivers are exceeding the speed limit routinely.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I have neighbours who are in their late sixties, who are the sort who pick litter up off the street, and who, in the twenty years i have known them, have always driven cautiously and, to the eye, within the speed limit. Both have attended Speed Awareness courses, having been caught over a speed limit by a couple of mph. I'm not saying they weren't wrong, but I think we should treat minor offenders more leniently than those who more blatantly speed, or who pick up their phone whilst driving. Three points on the licence is, in my view, a bit strong for getting it wrong by such a small margin.

No, three points on the licence is exactly the right strength punishment. On its own, it has almost no effect, but if they don't change their ways and keep below the limit, they'll lose their driving privileges.

What the heck do you mean "to the eye, within the speed limit"? Did their car lack a speedometer?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I'll put it to you that the people causing the problems and causing the dangers on UK roads aren't the 3mph over the limit drivers,but those who are driving like theres no tomorrow and their antics are becoming more prevalent and risky.

And I put it to you that the risky problematic dangerous drivers are exceeding the speed limit routinely.

And I agree with you,though not totally.
That's because the overwhelming majority who do though don't have or cause crashes,there are degrees,that's the point PWA has been making throughout this thread and I agree with him.
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Even if going just a bit over the maximum limit often does not result in an 'accident' IT IS AGAINST THE LAW!

And it uses more energy and causes more noise
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

After an initial hiccup TranServ have started a new innovation near me. These are the stop lights of shame on the A75. Speeding motorists get a red stop light and so loose any time bonus they might have gained from speeding through the village. I’ve read that after only a week of use it’s wonderful to see traffic travelling at a sedate pace that everyone adopts.
http://www.scotlandtranserv.co.uk/green ... m-project/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:After an initial hiccup TranServ have started a new innovation near me. These are the stop lights of shame on the A75. Speeding motorists get a red stop light and so loose any time bonus they might have gained from speeding through the village. I’ve read that after only a week of use it’s wonderful to see traffic travelling at a sedate pace that everyone adopts.

+1!
How long does the light stay red?
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:I have neighbours who are in their late sixties, who are the sort who pick litter up off the street, and who, in the twenty years i have known them, have always driven cautiously and, to the eye, within the speed limit. Both have attended Speed Awareness courses, having been caught over a speed limit by a couple of mph. I'm not saying they weren't wrong, but I think we should treat minor offenders more leniently than those who more blatantly speed, or who pick up their phone whilst driving. Three points on the licence is, in my view, a bit strong for getting it wrong by such a small margin.

No, three points on the licence is exactly the right strength punishment. On its own, it has almost no effect, but if they don't change their ways and keep below the limit, they'll lose their driving privileges.

What the heck do you mean "to the eye, within the speed limit"? Did their car lack a speedometer?

"To the eye, within the speed limit" simply means that as I don't carry a speed gun I don't know exactly what speed others' cars are doing, but I can tell someone is either within the thirty limit or not much above it, rather than doing 35. That's all. I see nothing to be gained from focusing on those who are trying to get it right rather than those who just don't care.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Paulatic wrote:After an initial hiccup TranServ have started a new innovation near me. These are the stop lights of shame on the A75. Speeding motorists get a red stop light and so loose any time bonus they might have gained from speeding through the village. I’ve read that after only a week of use it’s wonderful to see traffic travelling at a sedate pace that everyone adopts.

I like that idea.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:
mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:Three points on the licence is, in my view, a bit strong for getting it wrong by such a small margin.

"To the eye, within the speed limit" simply means that as I don't carry a speed gun I don't know exactly what speed others' cars are doing, but I can tell someone is either within the thirty limit or not much above it, rather than doing 35. That's all. I see nothing to be gained from focusing on those who are trying to get it right rather than those who just don't care.

If they were trying, they should be able to do it before being caught four times and losing a driving licence, unless they're so incompetent that they probably should be stopped.

The truly reckless probably should get harsher penalties, but we're not talking about the difference between 31 and 36mph in those cases. That's the window where the careless are, surely?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

+1!
How long does the light stay red?

I don’t know the timing but as I e read any time advantage from speeding is lost it is working.
The road is notorious for Irish HGVs coming off the ferry. Looks like even those drivers are quick learners.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Even if going just a bit over the maximum limit often does not result in an 'accident' IT IS AGAINST THE LAW!

And it uses more energy and causes more noise

You dont get it do you?
No one is perfect,even you.
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Jan 2018, 10:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:

I like that idea.

Me too! :)
W H Auden