Ten Miles a day - 2018

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by foxyrider »

Well i've started the year fairly well, only missed one planned ride due to weather and had to abort another due to a mechanical that couldn't be roadside fixed.

The result has been 14 ride days, averaging 91km (56.5 miles) each with 1063m of ascent. Over the whole month of 31 days it's 41.1km (25.5 miles) and 480m climbing. (total 1274km (791.6m miles)/14888m) So yup I'm smashing the 10 miles a day so far, yay for me.

But how are you lot doing? Has the weather been kind to you? Don't be shy, share with us.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Ten Miles a day - 2018

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
No................but squeezed in 19 training days this month....on the turbo :)
Done one twenty miler that's the longest so far this year.
Ended tonight with a FTP 20 minute test, struggled to get above 170 HR, started on 400 W :? Faded fast :lol:
But managed about 4.5 W / kg, 4 on the 20 miler.
Still not been out on bike in two months, just waiting for the weather to change :mrgreen:
Still walk a bit crooked, but turbo is fine.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

foxyrider wrote:Well i've started the year fairly well, only missed one planned ride due to weather and had to abort another due to a mechanical that couldn't be roadside fixed.

The result has been 14 ride days, averaging 91km (56.5 miles) each with 1063m of ascent. Over the whole month of 31 days it's 41.1km (25.5 miles) and 480m climbing. (total 1274km (791.6m miles)/14888m) So yup I'm smashing the 10 miles a day so far, yay for me.

But how are you lot doing? Has the weather been kind to you? Don't be shy, share with us.

Weather isn't a consideration when commuting - but certain other things have been unkind.
I'm possibly still ahead of 10/day though... yep, over 400 miles so far... So I have a few days off the wheels whilst I heal and I should still be ahead by the time I resume (assuming my hip ever decides to stop weeping)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Weather has meant I’ve not got many commuting miles as my daughter can’t/won’t cycle in high winds and rain.

I’ve got exactly 310 miles done. Which is good if I wasn’t aiming for 11 miles a day this year!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

honesty wrote:Weather has meant I’ve not got many commuting miles as my daughter can’t/won’t cycle in high winds and rain.

Sensible daughter. I'm the same (20Kn wind and I'll normally not go out cycling). Rain or after rain I find worse because of all those potholes who go and hide under those puddles. And we have a more than unhealthy epidemic of potholes meaning loads hidden away waiting for their prey to cycle past ...

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

honesty wrote:Weather has meant I’ve not got many commuting miles as my daughter can’t/won’t cycle in high winds and rain.

I’ve got exactly 310 miles done. Which is good if I wasn’t aiming for 11 miles a day this year!

Reminds me of Vic Gibbons, he did a 25 in 1:00:00
'Prefer it nice and neat, couldn't stand a long 59', he said
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
alex1987

Post by alex1987 »

Still waiting to get back on the saddle after a dodgy knee has forced me to a 3/4 months stop :(

Been increasing my off the bike exercise to help me on my way (as well as having had a bike fit) and will start commuting again (4.5/5 miles each way) in the next few weeks, hopefully will have enough legs back to enjoy the odd long day out once the weather mitigates!

By late summer/autumn last year I had started thinking big for 2018, including a couple of holidays on the bike, so I'm hoping the forced stop won't hamper those hopes too much!
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:The result has been 14 ride days, averaging 91km (56.5 miles) each with 1063m of ascent. Over the whole month of 31 days it's 41.1km (25.5 miles) and 480m climbing. (total 1274km (791.6m miles)/14888m) So yup I'm smashing the 10 miles a day so far, yay for me.

What's the aim? To get out every day and ride at least 10 miles, or is it the average over the year/week/month?
My commuting/utility mileage means I'm likely to manage either, but this hasn't been a good year so far and could do with some motivation...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Just about on target despite the awful weather. I did 310 miles in January but in only about 7 rides. Getting out once or twice a week. I'm just glad to be riding again after having to have 4 months off the bike last year.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The result has been 14 ride days, averaging 91km (56.5 miles) each with 1063m of ascent. Over the whole month of 31 days it's 41.1km (25.5 miles) and 480m climbing. (total 1274km (791.6m miles)/14888m) So yup I'm smashing the 10 miles a day so far, yay for me.

What's the aim? To get out every day and ride at least 10 miles, or is it the average over the year/week/month?
My commuting/utility mileage means I'm likely to manage either, but this hasn't been a good year so far and could do with some motivation...

Generally the aim for the 10/day is 3650 during the year...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
PH wrote:

Thanks - maybe I should aim for 10 miles a day and not count the commuting...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
PH wrote:

How much commuting do you do? Just add it onto the target?

If I exclude commuting (and other transport?) then I probably did less than 100 miles last year...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
PH wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

If I exclude commuting (and other transport?) then I probably did less than 100 miles last year...

Every mile/km counts, commuting is enjoyable too especially when one can work hard up a hill
Cycling is great, saves me a fortune on gym club fees
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
PH wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Probably enough to get over the 10 miles a day average - 8 miles a day plus shopping and other utility trips.
I'm not saying is doesn't count or isn't good to do, but it provides no motivation, it's something I'd have to do anyway or use far less convenient forms of transport.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

362 miles for January so nicely just over target for 10 miles/day. BUT, I've averaged 105 miles/week for the last two years so well under that target so far.

I was going out this afternoon but the rain and wind have killed it. I can handle to rain no problem, but the wind is so strong that TBH it's dangerous (XC weather showing 43 MPH here at the moment)

Looks like the wind drops a bit tomorrow....Fingers crossed eh ??....