FILUMS ..to see.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: FILUMS ..to see.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
mercalia wrote:Any one seen The Darkest Hour about Churchill and 1940? |Saw a review in the Standard that much of the detail is false - eg he didnt take a tube trip to guage the mood of the people and he didnt quote what the film said he did...

And in other news Henry Hook who won a VC at Rorke's Drift was a model soldier and a teetotaller. In the film 'Zulu' he's portrayed as a drunk for dramatic effect.

If you really think all historical films or biopics are portraying the absolute truth you're going to be very disappointed. Buy a book instead - books allow a more rounded narrative.

Just saw The Darkest Hour, the tube scene was good: Churchills car stopped at a red light, he jumped out to get on the tube, had to ask a bystander what train to take, meanwhile one of his staff got on the blower: "we have lost the Prime Minister!" There were lots of jokes, I tried to scribble them down, the king was good
There was too much music being played while people were talking -1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We watched The American last night,very well acted and good drama IMO
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Britannia on Sky Atlantic
A saw this at a friends ( where I go these days to watch any stuff on tv )
Has any one here seen it - 9 episodes about the 2nd Roman invasion of Britain and the celts and the druids. A really rum show it is with a pop music title music more suited to Neighbours, and quips a plenty and extreme violence - poor old king of one tribe is sacrificed by the druids and has all his bones cut from his body, you see this happening, as the bones are yanked out. His eyeballs thrown to the crows who fly off with them, his back bone cut out. and yanked out. And the roman general stabs a celtic queen and cuts her heart out , you see the chest being torn apart. a real strange show.

Has Zoë Wanamaker as a celtic queen all painted up( weird ) who rants foully at what another tribe's match did to her son on his wedding night ( well he wont be doing that any more :wink: ) and David Morrissey as the roman general. One scene 2 roman deserters find a druids "cache" of magic potions and spend some time getting high on them :shock: :lol: "lets see what this one does" :lol: and an outcast druid who has a magic pebble with which he mesmerises and controls people :roll: :lol: Game of Thrones meets Monty Python? Oh and he gets his visions by jumping off Beachy Head into the sea :? :lol: And there is this little white skiined waif of a girl borrowed from Disney who apparantly is the saviour who David Morrissey wants to kill, who to look at butter wouldnt melt in her mouth until she opens it and foul obscenities come out a aplenty ( well she has a northern accent) " come and get me you ****** romans" she angrilly snarls :lol: East Enders/Coronation St AD65

[youtube]lC1ZdVDffCs[/youtube]

I hope there is a 2nd season

if you watch the top left video after it is finished that give a preview even Sky dont seem to know what to make of it.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I haven't seen Britannia but Kelly Reilly makes me want to :shock: :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Recently seen 3 Billboards. I thought it a very good film. A lot of swearing but an interesting tale about a Mother feeling frustrated at the lack of an arrest for the rape and murder of her daughter. Surprisingly, some amusing scenes especially one where she has a visit from the priest.

Also seen the Darkest Hour, not impressed and they really should make sure that when showing street scenes the cars filmed are pre war. As for the Tube scene, absolutely ridiculous.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:I haven't seen Britannia but Kelly Reilly makes me want to :shock: :)

well she is the one who dies in eps 9 who has her heart ripped out by David Morrissey who manages to atlast realise what this show is all about. Quite a sinister moment. Her long red hair was a wig it seems. poor old Zoe wannamker ends up in prison woefully declaring the gods are dead in Up Pompeii style after the roman allies turn on her and wipe her tribe out " those ******* roman ***** " she declares. a very very strange series.
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Feb 2018, 11:24am, edited 2 times in total.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Films NOT TO SEE....
Pirates of the Caribbean - dead men tell no tales;-

absolutely awful... Poor acting, dreadful continuity , should have left it alone after film number three.....Johnny Depp - what shambles
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cyclemad wrote:Films NOT TO SEE....
Pirates of the Caribbean - dead men tell no tales;-

absolutely awful... Poor acting, dreadful continuity , should have left it alone after film number three.....Johnny Depp - what shambles

Sometimes it is worth seeing a film that got bad reviews
Maybe it is 'perfectly awful'
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

never liked any of the pirates films seemed silly in a childish way and rather old fashioned in its ideas
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yet another DDR film starts today, 'Das schweigende Klassenzimmer', the Spiegel review was quite critical, after reading it I am determined to see the film and form my own opinion

Film critic seems an interesting job, one can show how clever one is and wield power without responsibility, +1?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How many films are remembered? I note the ones I see, some are worth seeing again
Had a tidy up at home, found some old cinema programmes, could hardly remember any of the films

Wanted to get a programme at the cinema yesterday, I was told that they are no longer being printed, one must look up the times on the interweb :?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've seen two films the last couple of days. The kids are on half term, here, and both of mine wanted to see a film, but neither wanted to see what the other one did :roll:

So I saw Coco, which I thought was really good. The animation was well done, the story was interesting, and respctful of Mexican culture. Littlest (8) loved it.

Today, I saw Los Bando, which is a Norwegian film, targetted at tweens and young teens. It's about a pair of best friends who get a place in a rock contest in Trondheim. They need a bass player, so they hold auditions, and the only person who turns up is a (really good) 9 year old cellist. She produces a permission slip to go with them. The get help from an older teen who is willing to drive them, and off they go. It turns out that the 9 year old didn't really have permission to go, and her parents report her missing. It also turns out that the older teen is only 17 and doesn't have his driving licence. Furthermore, he has stolen (and slightly repainted) a bullying older brother's 'Jesus van'. The escapades that ensue are only marginally believeable, but quite funny. Of course, they get to their competition, just in the nick of time. It's not the sort of thing that you want a child to emulate, but Mini V quite enjoyed it, and I thought it was good fun, and rather better than I expected. I suspect that they blew 90% of the budget on one police car.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I want to see '15.17 to Paris' (railway interest) and
Peter Rabbit (talking animals, nasty humans, blackberry allergy)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anyone seen The Shape of Water (best film?)?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

He wanted to shoot it in black & white, but decided not to for budgetary reasons. :shock:
Have we got time for another cuppa?