Postural hypotension

mediumbird

Postural hypotension

Post by mediumbird »

Just experienced this several hours after a 50 mile ride. Anyone else get it? Think I maybe overdid it and only had water with me rather than some sports drink. Anyone else get this and if so, any tips to help stop it happening?
Vitara

Re: Postural hypotension

Post by Vitara »

I would agree probably low blood sugar. Used to happen to me a lot when I was loosing weight a few years back - my body saying you better eat something
It's normal for BP to drop as we stand up, but it usually corrects almost instantly.
As get older and our blood vessels loose elasticity potural hypotension becomes more common.
As you've said maintain blood sugar levels & hydration will help.
Advice to patients who have this is to count to 10 or 20 after standing up and before walking
Other relevant questions - are you taking blood pressure medication or beta blockers?
I would say an episode of postural drop in the situation you describe is explainable & no big deal, a chocolate bar or cake will sort. Ongoing episodes or symptoms may warrent investigation
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Thanks vitara. Not on any medication. Been recovering from a cold which probably didn't help...Had coffee and cake at the halfway point, but didn't have my usual lucozade sport in my drinks bottle, so probs not enough cals on board. Am 54 female and otherwise well. Symptoms gone after my dinner. I now have permission to eat more chocolate out riding :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I first noticed this back in 1965(?) when I first had a real bike. 3sp SA Hercules. :D
I came back from my first ride and I was dizzy. It happened lots of times. I was thirteen years old.

Since then, over the decades, it's been the same.
Often stop and get off after 20 or 30 miles or more. I wobble and nearly stagger and fall off as I get off the bike.
Even now, at 65, I get out of a chair and wobble a bit. I even fainted once a few years ago.

Funny though, when I have my blood pressure checked ............ I have Hypertension.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
After a several months of hypertension up to 180 averaging 160, experienced it today, because I am exercising more like normal....well part normal.
Tends to happen several hours later or more so 24 hrs later.
Had it for most of the years I have been on BP meds, just get up slower.

Do you get headaches Mick F?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Headaches?
Not generally, but I have one now. I'm due some paracetamol shortly.

Note the time. 03:38
I'm not well at all. Went to bed at 16:00 yesterday afternoon and got up at 18:00 for a bite to eat.
Back in bed at 20:45

Out today shopping and I came over freezing cold. Walking round Lidl's and Morrison's I was shivering, and my hands and face were blue with cold. We drove home with the heater on full blast and I went straight to bed fully dressed, a woolly hat on and the electric blanket wrapped round me.

Feeling fine now. Goodness knows why. Sitting here with a cuppa in my dressing gown and slippers.
I've been poorly on and off since the turn of the year. I can maybe go 48hrs feeling ok, then another 48 feeling crap.
I'm going to make an appointment with the doc as soon as they open on Monday. I can't go on like this.

I've had the flu jab every year for the past fifteen, and I've had the pneumonia jab too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Having had to look up PH :)
My question is how do you know it’s PH and not Bradycardia?
Seem like similar symptoms and whenever I’ve menioned them to Dr he has always said Bradycardia. Mine is always worse after exercise and especially after a glass of alcohol. As I’m Cycling about 3 times a week presently and 2 games of squash it’s almost guaranteed on any sudden movement :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Hello Mike,
Seems you’ve got same as hubby and I’ve got. Today is the first day of feeling somewhat better after being unwell since December 28th. It’s a horrible bug but the end is in sight and hopefully for you too.