Albert is at the V.E.T. Cat troubles.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Manx Cat

Albert is at the V.E.T. Cat troubles.

Post by Manx Cat »

Came back from hols to find 3 out of 7 kitties needed vet care! Poor Chas, has been up to his eyes in stuff.

Mr Blonde had a swollen face.

FreeWHeelin' Franklin needs his thyroid gland cutting in half

But poor ALbert was on 3 legs. No pun intended... Manx Cat on 3 Legs. :lol:

Took Blonde and ALbert as they were emergencies. Blonde has had a fist of 5 from one of the other cats and is on anti biotics.

Poor Albert though is not looking good. His lame leg shows no sign of pain and the vet does not think it is broken or dislocated. Albert goes under the drugs this morning for an X ray. Vet thinks its his spine. Hope and pray it isnt. Manx cats have problems in the spinal department. Praying its not a tumour or other paralysis problem showing its ugly head.

Will know later today.

TOnight Franklin goes for his starvin' as he is getting his thyroid cut in half tomorrow in a bid to reduce is hyper thyroidism. He is an old boy too. :?

Just as I had my vet bill to Zero. This happens.

Thankfully I have a fab vet and yes, she is affordable too.

Mary
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Really sorry to hear the problems with the cats. I hope its not as bad as it looks and they all get better.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

I had a cat with three legs.

He started off with 4, but lost one in an altercation with a white van in which the cat put up a good fight, but was always going to come out of it second best.

He took a knock to the head and went a bit strange too.

But last winter he went out for a walk and never came back. We think he may have took on the foxes again, this time however, he'd used up his nine.

Poor old Stan.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Oh dear Mary, fingers crossed for them all.

My cat (who is 14) had the same op as Franklin a few months ago and she's absolutely fine, its a pretty straightforward procedure and is apparently very common for older cats. They can manage perfectly well with reduced thyroid function.

Jan
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Poor Albert.

Not good news. :cry:

Just had the vet on the phone and he does indeed have paralysis. His spine is all pointy instead of flat, and this would of been a birth defect common in Manx cats. It is slowly developing arthritus and this is pressing on his nerves.

He is not in pain at all, but eventually he will lose the activity in his rear end completely. For now its steroid injections every 2 weeks.

Jane (vet) will come to the house to put him to sleep when the time comes. Im gutted.

Poor poor Albert. He is one of my favourite ever all time cats.

Mary
mhara

Post by mhara »

Ever so sorry Mary.
A very sad time for you right now.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Ditto
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

At least he is somewhere he is comfortable, and in no pain.

The hardest thing with a loved one is making that decision at the right time for him, not for you. I'm sure you'll get it right fom the way you talk about ALL your family.

Best wishes.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Oh poor Albert, I am so sorry for you Mary

At least you'll have the comfort (small I know) of doing all you could for him, and making his last days as comfortable as possible for him.

Jan
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

sorry to hear Mary

our cat ( pictured ) was hit by a car a few weeks back and died...

my friend also has to give his cat regular injections...and says she always has a shaved patch at the back of her neck
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Oh, Manxcat, I am sorry to hear this; what a homecoming!

I wish you strength in dealing with Albert. We had elderly cats. We now have elderly dogs .... it's not easy.
Dee
MrsMothy

Post by MrsMothy »

Hi Mary

How are you all doing now? I hope the injections are still relieving Albert's pain. How are the others? Are they on the mend now? Is Franklin recovering from his op? I hope Mr Blonde is ok now and that he is avoiding fisticuffs with the neighbours. Pets are often harder to cope with than children as they can't tell you where it hurts so easily can they.

Denise
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

:lol:

BB (Mr. Blonde) has now has a lip where his teeth are covered again... the anti biotics have worked, but we have the wonderful task of getting a pink pill into him each day. Thought we managed it last night and found the pill on the stairs this morning... :roll:

Free wheelin franklin is currently at the vets getting his throat cut! His thyroid gland is large and he is a walking kitty skeleton so hopefully this will help him. Vet is giving him a tummy shave too, as he is a long haired ginger and his laundry can be a bit over whelming so goodness knows what he will look like.

Poor Albert... well, he was very pleased indeed to be 'rescued' and spent the night purring in everyones arms.

His leg is still not good, but there is no cure and he is not in pain, so we carry on for now. Albert was a wild ferral cat only 18 months ago. I am so pleased he came to stay, otherwise he would of starved to death out there. (Had to lose his crown jewels, but he doesnt seem to mind now).

Albert is back in 2 weeks for another steroid injection. We have to take it week at a time with him for now.

Will also have to try to stop is bathroom antics as well. He loves the bath! Walks along the edge while its filling, and Im not sure having a paralised leg is very safe now.

I am taking lots of film and photos of the lad. Boy I am going to really miss him when the time comes.... But for now, we have a lot of quality still with him.

Thanks for the concerns....

Just hope the other 3 remaining healthy cats remain so!

Mary
Anura

MANX CAT

Post by Anura »

So sorry about your cat. My heart goes out to you. I have elderly 3rd hand Siamese but previously lost lovely b&w moggie with throat cancer. I love Manx cats too. I nearly lost this one earlier this year with an undefined illness which kept him in cat hospital for one week. Fortunately he recovered. Regards Anne