Lowry Love and US Security

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Lowry Love and US Security

Post by Psamathe »

I see Lowry Love extradition has now been refused for his allegedly hacking into NASA, FBI, US Military, Federal Reserve, etc and allegedly downloading loads of data.

If the allegations are true as the US seem to be maintaining, then what does it say about US security when somebody alone in their parents semi manages to (allegedly) get all this data. To my mind the issue should be the competence of these US agencies and their apparent inability to secure their computer systems.

Maybe the US agencies should be focusing on securing their systems and thanking Mr Love for highlighting their shortcomings.

Ian
reohn2

Re: Lowry Love and US Security

Post by reohn2 »

Well I must admit I was thinking the same thing myself :?
They don't like it up 'em Mr Mannering sir!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

they will probably give him a job once the dust settles
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Well in the UK we seem to make it not worth the hackers attacking our systems - clever trick to just give away the data without asking any questions so who'll waste their time trying to hack into what can be got by asking
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/14/medical-records-thousands-patients-handed-us-firms-connected/ wrote:Medical records of thousands of patients were handed to US firms connected to tobacco industry by British health officials, Telegraph probe reveals
The data covering almost 180,000 patients - every case of lung cancer diagnosed in England over a four year period - was given by health officials to a firm which has acted to cigarette giants Philip Morris International for almost three decades.
It is feared the company could use the anonymised data in legal cases minimising the dangers of smoking, or fighting regulation.

The sensitive information, taken from NHS records, was taken without the consent of any of the cancer sufferers or their families.

Clever security trick? Not worth hacking, cheaper to get given it all.

Ian
barrym

Post by barrym »

Psamathe wrote:......]
Clever security trick? Not worth hacking, cheaper to get given it all.

Ian

Security by obscurity [emoji854]
--
Cheers
Barry