Hello All - I am now officially a Recumbent Triker

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Alan58

Hello All - I am now officially a Recumbent Triker

Post by Alan58 »

Picked up my new Ice Adventure today from Kevin at D-Tek. Like a kid with a new toy. Not a toy really though) Gearing up for my LeJog. Can’t keep the smile off my face.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Hello All - I am now officially a Recumbent Triker

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Welcome to the :mrgreen: side
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Are you going through Lancaster by any chance? The A6 seems to see a lot of lejog riders. It goes not far from my house so I often see loaded tourers. Indeed on weekdays I'm often following them on the final part of the day on my way home from work. I assume on their way to start in Kendal or Arnside.

I might see you of you are. If you get a car driver hooting his horn or a cyclist saying hi and "nice bike!" north of Lancaster it might be me.

PS I won't be on my recumbent but I'll be wishing I was (a new one collected last Saturday). I've reached the darkside too and it took me in with a bit grin!
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Bob - and thank you for your welcome.

Hi Tangled Metal - not sure where I am going - following Sustrans: will put my route up there at some point happy to meet on the way up no problem: enjoy your new recumbent. What make is it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:Are you going through Lancaster by any chance? The A6 seems to see a lot of lejog riders. It goes not far from my house so I often see loaded tourers. Indeed on weekdays I'm often following them on the final part of the day on my way home from work. I assume on their way to start in Kendal or Arnside.

I might see you of you are. If you get a car driver hooting his horn or a cyclist saying hi and "nice bike!" north of Lancaster it might be me.

PS I won't be on my recumbent but I'll be wishing I was (a new one collected last Saturday). I've reached the darkside too and it took me in with a bit grin!

Please do NOT use your horn
It is against the law.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I've got a streetmachine GT. Hoping to go touring on it in the summer. It is all good so far with it. I can transition from upright to recumbent quite happily but I've not got quite the same control over the recumbent. Yet! How are you getting on with your trike?

@Cyril Haearn we all do things wrong at times. I'm with you BTW on horn and improper use of the full beam too. Truth be told when I got my first car it took me 5 years before I first used the full beam. Driving down dark country lanes without full beam on. Not because I didn't know how to turn it on but because you can never turn them off quick enough of a car comes the other way.

As for use of the horn, I possibly used it in single digits post the 7 plus years I had that car. I just don't find they're much use other than for "telling someone off" which isn't correct use. So tbh the horn is probably the least used part of the car by me at least.

It does lead to the question how to attract attention for social reasons in a car if without using a horn? Trick question I believe... You should not be trying to attract the attention of a social acquaintance when driving a car. I would think there's some legal / highway code to cover that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:I've got a streetmachine GT. Hoping to go touring on it in the summer. It is all good so far with it. I can transition from upright to recumbent quite happily but I've not got quite the same control over the recumbent. Yet! How are you getting on with your trike?

@Cyril Haearn we all do things wrong at times. I'm with you BTW on horn and improper use of the full beam too. Truth be told when I got my first car it took me 5 years before I first used the full beam. Driving down dark country lanes without full beam on. Not because I didn't know how to turn it on but because you can never turn them off quick enough of a car comes the other way.

As for use of the horn, I possibly used it in single digits post the 7 plus years I had that car. I just don't find they're much use other than for "telling someone off" which isn't correct use. So tbh the horn is probably the least used part of the car by me at least.

It does lead to the question how to attract attention for social reasons in a car if without using a horn? Trick question I believe... You should not be trying to attract the attention of a social acquaintance when driving a car. I would think there's some legal / highway code to cover that.

The horn may only be used to warn of danger
There was a good suggestion somewhere (maybe here) that the engine should automatically switch off for 5 minutes when the horn is used, +1?

Trick question I believe... You should not be trying to attract the attention of a social acquaintance when driving a car
+1
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

not quite
"The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
•while stationary on the road
•when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am

except when another road user poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99
"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I forgot to say welcome to Alan,
NUKe

Post by Geoff.D »

Welcome, Alan.
Where abouts are you. I'm in South Warks/North Cotswolds.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Hi Geoff - I live in Bedford. Love the Cotswolds - Pudding Club is great as is the beer festival at Hook Norton.

Hi Tangled Metal: mmm the trike Day One: ran into a fence misjudged a corner forgot how to brake ! - all good: Kevin D Tek saved the day “ wonderful customer service “ over and above the norm. Part from that all good on the trike front. Out again tomorrow rain or shine. Got anywhere nice planned for the summer yet?

Thanks Nuke.
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Day Two : 22 miles without any problems. Result :D
Alan58

Post by Alan58 »

Day 3: 22 miles. Love it. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could try doubling you mileage each day
:wink:
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

When are you going out next ??
I'm only ~25 miles away from Bedford.
I can drive down and meet up with you.

Drop me a PM if you don't want to give your address out on the forum.

Luck ..... :D