Trike Mudguards

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo
Posts: 490
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Trike Mudguards

Postby climo » 7 Feb 2018, 10:12pm

Are front mudguards very effective? I'm thinking of removing them for train / plane travel and leaving them at home. 2 less things to carry

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16882
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 Feb 2018, 10:47pm

I think they are... depends where you’re going though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

climo
Posts: 490
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby climo » 7 Feb 2018, 11:14pm

Uk smaller roads so wet and muddy. Guess I'm answering my own question - again! But always good to have other peoples thoughts

UpWrong
Posts: 793
Joined: 31 May 2009, 12:16pm
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby UpWrong » 8 Feb 2018, 6:55am

I dont' bother with front mudguards. Trikes are lighter and more aero without them. Depending on the width of the cruciform, the wheel spray either misses you or hits your elbows. Your choice.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16882
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Feb 2018, 9:23am

And depends on steering angle ;)

One other thing - I sustained a nasty burn on my forearm when looking over my shoulder - because it brushed the top of the tyre, which was travelling forward, relative to the trike, at my road speed (about 15mph at the time).
Mudguards prevent that kind of mishap...

I also have a rear light mounted on the RHS mudguard
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

User avatar
yakdiver
Posts: 1170
Joined: 12 Jul 2007, 2:54pm
Location: North Baddesley Hampshire

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby yakdiver » 8 Feb 2018, 10:20am

My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES
Alias Numbnuts

climo
Posts: 490
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby climo » 8 Feb 2018, 11:51am

[XAP]Bob wrote:And depends on steering angle ;)

One other thing - I sustained a nasty burn on my forearm when looking over my shoulder - because it brushed the top of the tyre, which was travelling forward, relative to the trike, at my road speed (about 15mph at the time).
Mudguards prevent that kind of mishap...

I also have a rear light mounted on the RHS mudguard

Good point and good idea about the light but isn't it in your eyeline?

climo
Posts: 490
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby climo » 8 Feb 2018, 11:52am

yakdiver wrote:My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES

So Yakdiver is an apt name if you get my point :)

Geoff.D
Posts: 1959
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 9:20pm

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby Geoff.D » 8 Feb 2018, 11:58am

climo wrote:
yakdiver wrote:My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES

So Yakdiver is an apt name if you get my point :)


Let's not delve into that matter, climo. :D :D

climo
Posts: 490
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 8:08am
Location: Warminster

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby climo » 8 Feb 2018, 12:05pm

Geoff.D wrote:
climo wrote:
yakdiver wrote:My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES

So Yakdiver is an apt name if you get my point :)


Let's not delve into that matter, climo. :D :D

I'm sure there's a running gag there. :)

Geoff.D
Posts: 1959
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 9:20pm

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby Geoff.D » 8 Feb 2018, 12:09pm

In answer to the question, I'd say "yes" they are effective, especially with (even small) mud flaps. Even if most of the spray misses me (except when not in a straight line) some of it does reach me, not least when there's a breeze. It's not enough to bother me if I'm wearing waterproofs, but as a specs wearer it's annoying to have to keep wiping the lens. The less spray in the air the better.

That said I often take them off for ease of transport (easy on an ICE) and leave them at home if the weather forecast is good. My roots are in the Yorkshire Dales (where it never rains, of course :lol: :lol: ) and a weekend up there without mudguards is fine.

User avatar
canoesailor
Posts: 52
Joined: 24 Mar 2016, 8:17pm
Location: Leicester

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby canoesailor » 8 Feb 2018, 12:32pm

You dont have these problems on a Delta. :)

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16882
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Trike Mudguards

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Feb 2018, 1:45pm

climo wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:And depends on steering angle ;)

One other thing - I sustained a nasty burn on my forearm when looking over my shoulder - because it brushed the top of the tyre, which was travelling forward, relative to the trike, at my road speed (about 15mph at the time).
Mudguards prevent that kind of mishap...

I also have a rear light mounted on the RHS mudguard

Good point and good idea about the light but isn't it in your eyeline?


Yes it is, which is why I have painted the inside of the lens at the top. I will be adding a square of foil and some more paint soon.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.