Trike Mudguards

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
climo

Trike Mudguards

Post by climo »

Are front mudguards very effective? I'm thinking of removing them for train / plane travel and leaving them at home. 2 less things to carry
[XAP]Bob

Re: Trike Mudguards

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think they are... depends where you’re going though...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
climo

Post by climo »

Uk smaller roads so wet and muddy. Guess I'm answering my own question - again! But always good to have other peoples thoughts
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I dont' bother with front mudguards. Trikes are lighter and more aero without them. Depending on the width of the cruciform, the wheel spray either misses you or hits your elbows. Your choice.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And depends on steering angle ;)

One other thing - I sustained a nasty burn on my forearm when looking over my shoulder - because it brushed the top of the tyre, which was travelling forward, relative to the trike, at my road speed (about 15mph at the time).
Mudguards prevent that kind of mishap...

I also have a rear light mounted on the RHS mudguard
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES
climo

Post by climo »

[XAP]Bob wrote:And depends on steering angle ;)

One other thing - I sustained a nasty burn on my forearm when looking over my shoulder - because it brushed the top of the tyre, which was travelling forward, relative to the trike, at my road speed (about 15mph at the time).

Good point and good idea about the light but isn't it in your eyeline?
climo

Post by climo »

yakdiver wrote:My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES

So Yakdiver is an apt name if you get my point :)
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

climo wrote:
yakdiver wrote:My country lanes have a lot of s.....well cows waste on them so YES

Let's not delve into that matter, climo. :D :D
climo

Post by climo »

Geoff.D wrote:
climo wrote:

Let's not delve into that matter, climo. :D :D

I'm sure there's a running gag there. :)
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

In answer to the question, I'd say "yes" they are effective, especially with (even small) mud flaps. Even if most of the spray misses me (except when not in a straight line) some of it does reach me, not least when there's a breeze. It's not enough to bother me if I'm wearing waterproofs, but as a specs wearer it's annoying to have to keep wiping the lens. The less spray in the air the better.

That said I often take them off for ease of transport (easy on an ICE) and leave them at home if the weather forecast is good. My roots are in the Yorkshire Dales (where it never rains, of course :lol: :lol: ) and a weekend up there without mudguards is fine.
canoesailor

Post by canoesailor »

You dont have these problems on a Delta. :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

climo wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:And depends on steering angle ;)

Good point and good idea about the light but isn't it in your eyeline?

Yes it is, which is why I have painted the inside of the lens at the top. I will be adding a square of foil and some more paint soon.