Smartphone Navigation with the Moto E

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
bigjim

Re: Smartphone Navigation with the Moto E

Post by bigjim »

After reading these posts I've downloaded Osmand onto my MotoG 2nd gen. Up to now I've been disappointed with Osmand. I've used it a few times on a local 25mile circuit. It is nowhere as intuitive as my very old Garmin Legend. It seems far too complicated and the menus can be hidden away. I have still not found out how to clear track history from the files and am still unable to figure out how to enable it to give me turn by turn voice direction. I'm also still not sure how to set it off guideing me on an imported GPX track. The garmin will ask you whether you want to save a completed track but Osmand leaves you hunting through menus to find this facility. Not found a trackback feature yet. I browsed the help files and spent battery draining hours clicking through menus. I know I'm not the brightest spark but up to now the old Garmin only loses out on size of screen. In the usibility stakes it is flying out front. :(
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Earlier this year I switched to Locus maps (pro version) and found it to be a very usable app. I think it accomodates gpx navigation when cycling in a much better way.

*User selectable maps
*Ant+ or BTLE sensors
*Very flexible data screen
*Voice navigation if wanted
*User defined POI (useful for Audax info controls)

And so on.

I prefer phablet type phones. Since 2013 I've used a Sony Xperia Z Ultra (6.4 inch screen) and got through two of them. They eventually succumbed to me dropping them during normal life. I've just updated to Huawei Honor Note 8 which has a very similar physical size as the Sony but is much more upto date with a 6.6 inch screen and a 4500 mah battery. With the new phone I've sacrificed waterproofing and potentially ant+. Thus far I'm very satsfied.

For comparison the Sony struggled to last a day before recharging in normal use. The Honor Note 8 easily lasts 2.5 days.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

bigjim wrote:After reading these posts I've downloaded Osmand onto my MotoG 2nd gen. Up to now I've been disappointed with Osmand. I've used it a few times on a local 25mile circuit. It is nowhere as intuitive as my very old Garmin Legend. It seems far too complicated and the menus can be hidden away. I have still not found out how to clear track history from the files and am still unable to figure out how to enable it to give me turn by turn voice direction. I'm also still not sure how to set it off guideing me on an imported GPX track. The garmin will ask you whether you want to save a completed track but Osmand leaves you hunting through menus to find this facility. Not found a trackback feature yet. I browsed the help files and spent battery draining hours clicking through menus. I know I'm not the brightest spark but up to now the old Garmin only loses out on size of screen. In the usibility stakes it is flying out front. :(

Swipe from left to right on the screen to get a menu. Use the dashboard to select and control the track. A file manager can be used to control what tracks are lurking around. The bent arrow directions 'satnav' icon on the swiped menu is the thing that starts off voice and screen guidance on the selected track. Its not brilliantly intuitive but its very good when you master it. If you are using guidance set it to car, not bike, otherwise if you stray from the route it will put you on unsuitable bridleways to get you back on route. Don't give up, its really good.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

> What ever app you load onto your Android (or iPhone for that matter), you will need to invest some time in learning how it works to get the best out of the app
> The same can be said about Garmin devices too, although they do give workable results straight out of the box but to a limited extent
> I digress - I've tried Osmand but found LocusMap better because it has a very good on-line manual to help you along if needed, which is more than can be said for OSMand (unless it's improved since I last used it?).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
kamipie

Post by kamipie »

Hi everyone!

Sorry for bumping this old thread but I am interested in buying this cheap android phone (moto E 2ng gen) and use it to record my tracks/activities with Strava/Endomondo. It looks durable and the size is prefect to put it in the pocket and forget about it for the time of the ride.

My question is how is its GPS accuracy compared to for example garmin devices? Does it record well near high buildings and in the forest/mountains? Is the GPS connection stable?

If there is someone who could share with me their tracks recorded with moto E it would be amazing!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am still using my Moto E. The GPS accuracy seems spot on. Back in September my wife and I were using it to travel around Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Budapest on foot and riding trains, buses and trams using the excellent Google Maps. If you were waiting at a train stop it knew exactly which stop you were standing at, the time of the next tram, where to change and reeled off the stops. Absolute magic. I also use it in my new car as a satnav Android Auto throws the images onto the cars Central screen showing you jams, delay times, voice guidance, alternative route etc. Absolute magic and all from a basic 4g seventy quid phone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
kamipie

Post by kamipie »

Thanks. I have 2 more questions. Would it last 10h of track recording with its screen turned off and also how long does it take to find current position without help of wi-fi and/or cellular network? I don't want to spent 10min waiting for GPS signal during winter.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

It finds your position in seconds gps only. You dont need a phone signal. If you turn off the screen wifi and other apps that use battery it will easily last 10 hours. It's very efficient on battery, mine would last 5 days on standby.

Al
kamipie

Post by kamipie »

Thank you, that's all I wanted to know :D