Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cyco

Intro

Post by cyco »

This is my first message (apart from Test) on the board so anything could happen after I launch it into the ether. I am a champion lurker (at least 6 months). There's a danger I spend more time reading board than cycling.

I have a hybrid (Dawes Streetlife 10 yrs old) and a Galaxy about 2 yrs old. I use the hybrid more regularly as its more comfortable and easier to ride around town. The Galaxy is more comfortable now as i have had an adjustable stem fitted. Most of my cycling is my regular 2 and a half mile commute and rides with the local London Cycling Campaign branch. Would like to stretch my wings (pedals) a bit further.

There's seems a lot of goodwill on the boards. People genuinely want to help. I love when someone ask for a a 1982 washer and people volunteer to look in their sheds! You also feel as if you vaguely know some of the regulars.

Look forward to more entertainment and bike education and to contribute if I can.

Paul
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Intro

Post by Mick F »

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Hours of fun and frolic!

cyco wrote:You also feel as if you vaguely know some of the regulars.

Only "vaguely"? With a bit of luck and planning, you can see some of we forumites in the flesh.

Regards,
Mick.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bodie

Post by Bodie »

gaz wrote:
workhard wrote:Oh yes me... have too many bikes in the shed.

I suspect you actually have too few sheds.

Welcome to the madhouse.

Hmmm......funny but since I started posting on here I too have bought another shed.

It's the strangest manifestation of a computer virus I have ever experienced.
cyco

Re: Intro

Post by cyco »

Mick F wrote:Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. Hours of fun and frolic!

cyco wrote:You also feel as if you vaguely know some of the regulars.

Only "vaguely"? With a bit of luck and planning, you can see some of we forumites in the flesh.

Regards,
Mick.

Thanks for the welcome Mick. This reminds of the incident you had on your Grand Tour when a cyclist coming the opposite direction greeted you. Incidentally it's a good read. Keep up the good work.

Paul
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks!

New stuff on the blog this morning.
Mick F. Cornwall
Captain Bb

Post by Captain Bb »

Newbie here.

Been riding bikes all my life. Currently own a Dawes Galaxy, GT Bravado (which I modded to be an off-road tourer) and a shiny new Cannondale Tourer (only got it yesterday!).

It's been a long time ambition of mine to do the End to End and I'm fast running out of excuses :roll:

Regards

The Captain.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Cap'n!

Don't have any excuses to do E2E, just DO IT!

All you need is a couple of weeks or so off, and the means of getting to either End, then get cycling.

Three or four weeks, and you can cycle from your home to LE, then all the way to JOG, then home again.

Can be done ....
Mick F. Cornwall
Captain Bb

Post by Captain Bb »

It's no good you trying to talk me out of it :wink:

Actually it's the logistics of getting to and from the start/finish that has always kept me from just saddling up and riding into the sunset (or headwind).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:..... you can cycle from your home to LE, then all the way to JOG, then home again.

Can be done ....
Mick F. Cornwall
Captain Bb

Post by Captain Bb »

I have considered that but the added time would be a restriction at the moment (unfortunately I'm still working, so limited to a couple of weeks or so for the trip). However, if I manage to get out alive and able to retire, then I'm definitely flat out of excuses :D

Still, I'll need to read the E2E section on this forum first to see what others have done as regards transport options for the start/finish, so maybe it's all easier than I imagine.

In the meantime, I really need to build up my fitness - I've been pretty lazy lately and yesterday's inaugural ride on my new Cannondale was a wake-up call indeed :!:

Cheers

The Captain.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Name, Malcolm

Occupation, Building manager, sort of a posh caretaker!

Hobbies, Cycling, and working in an old Copper mine on Sundays, its a mix of graft and archaeology.

Wife Denise and two Daughters, Rachel and Sarah. have a reasonably good workshop as I do most of the engineering for the mine. :roll: <wife
She's very understanding

Just got back into the saddle, I'd had an old MTB in the shed for years, and got it out to go to work on but it started to fall apart. Had a chat with my LBS, now own a Giant SCR 1.5, I still remember my first bike back in 1963/4 it was a Jack Sibbet that was my Dads, Sturmy Archer 4 speed hub (when it worked) Then a new Sun Cresta all chrome frame looked smart but was to small. packed it in when I got a car at 18. So this time round I was determined to get it right. and I've got a really good friendly LBS

I wont be racing about too old for that (57 :oops: )but enjoy getting out and about
Captain Bb

Post by Captain Bb »

Nice one Malcolm.

Your post got me thinking about my first bikes. Growing up in the 1960's, my mates all had Pathfinders, which looked rather like a Schwinn road cruiser, with white walled tyres and a fancy stop light at the back. I desperately wanted one of those but my Dad had other ideas and bought me what looked like a ladies shopping bike instead (it didn't get used much :roll: ).
Then my Grandfather bought me the very first Raleigh Chopper to appear in our LBS and a friend of mine got one a couple of weeks later. We rode those bikes everywhere, until decending a particularly steep hill one day when mine became unstable at speed and threw me over the top. The bike was trashed but I was only cut & bruised (fortunately). I met a bloke a while ago who is a serious collector and restorer of Raleigh Choppers. When I described the machine I had, he told me it was a very rare model and would be worth about 2K now. Boy, I wish I still had that bike :(
After that I graduated to a Carlton Corsa racer in my senior school years, which had a lovely chrome frame 8) Don't remember what happened to it actually but I must have sold it when I got a car also.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Hi, thought I should introduce myself as I am new to these boards!

After several years of not cycling much, I got back into the fold a couple of years ago, and managed to pick up the bug of building my own bikes. I have currently got 2 working bikes, a trainer and a time trail bike, and I am currently transforming my old mountain bike into a single speed. I also have another racing bike frame and assorted components that I am planning on getting wheels for....eventually!

I am also planning on competing in some triathlons when I have mastered the art of breathing while swimming...

Cheers!
Jon
Edward

Post by Edward »

Hi all.

First of all I'm glad that I found the forum and became a part of it. :) After years of avoiding cycling (don't know why, maybe I couldn't find some time) I got back on track in January and I'm trying to get my stamina back. I'm looking forward to participating in some interesting discussions.

Have a nice day.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Welcome Edward!

And thanks for your kind words on my Off thread.
Mick F. Cornwall