Anti theft GPS trackers that actually work?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tommydog

Re: Anti theft GPS trackers that actually work?

Post by tommydog »

This looks interesting from a reputable manufacturer. Wonder if it will be released soon:

https://www.axasecurity.com/bike-securi ... a-connect/
keeponrolling

Post by keeponrolling »

This post has gone rather quiet..I'm guessing that is because various non subscription SIM card based tracking solutions are now on the market. I'm going to try this one out - Streetwize GPS (dreadful name) might be small enough to fit into a carbon boom or headrest on a recumbent bike.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-ac ... streetwize
Frisky

Post by Frisky »

Hi. I've just had 3 bikes stolen and don't want the same to happen again. Does anyone know of anything new on the market that actually works? Also I don't understand why there isn't any pressure on the manufacturers to integrate trackers internally into the frames? This would put of most bike thieves if designed well (powered via an integrated internal dynamo, uses RF and GPS, etc) and stop most crime overnight.

I suspect the answer is that they don't want to do it as crime means more bikes are sold but there should be pressure on them to change this!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Frisky wrote:Hi. I've just had 3 bikes stolen and don't want the same to happen again. Does anyone know of anything new on the market that actually works? Also I don't understand why there isn't any pressure on the manufacturers to integrate trackers internally into the frames? This would put of most bike thieves if designed well (powered via an integrated internal dynamo, uses RF and GPS, etc) and stop most crime overnight.

I suspect the answer is that they don't want to do it as crime means more bikes are sold but there should be pressure on them to change this!

Powered by an integrated internal dynamo - where would the dynamo go?
On a wheel? If so, tracing the wiring would soon find a lead to an extra device.
In the frame? Well, isn't that a custom bottom bracket? Not going to be cheap (even if possible) and then you are tied to the bottom bracket manufacturer.

Sadly, most of the responses in this thread complain about paying for infrastructure to track the bike, some even talk about hacking the hardware to cut out the manufacturer's service. Perhaps the first thing is to decide how much your bike is worth to you. If it is worth less than £40 a year to secure then why are you bothering? If it is worth a lot in terms of sentimental value then why carp at the price?

If you have several bikes, of course, the cost mounts up unless you keep all your bikes securely locked away and move your concealed tracker onto today's ride. This does rule out anything permanently built into the frame, of course. Even tricky with the rear light version.
mjr

Post by mjr »

LittleGreyCat wrote:[...] and then you are tied to the bottom bracket manufacturer.

Sadly, most of the responses in this thread complain about paying for infrastructure to track the bike, some even talk about hacking the hardware to cut out the manufacturer's service.

I think you're reading a different thread. The desire to break the manufacturer tie is because the vast majority of these things sold so far have been discontinued (manufacturer gone bust or otherwise) and it's wasteful and annoying to keep replacing them.

Another problem is that using a lined metal van to take a stolen bike to be stashed until next fresher's season in a metal container in a rural area with poor cellphone coverage will render most trackers irrelevant. You'll see where it was thrown into the van - possibly right next to the cycle parking with how insecure many cycle parks are - and nothing more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Whilst I consider anything (maybe excepting smart water) is removable, the thing is that a tracker doesn't stop a bike being stolen. Maybe a sticker on the bike proclaiming "tracker fitted" will be just as effective? Or maybe the thieves will even more interested (out of devilment) ...who knows?
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

I have tried Spybike (the one on the steering tube) and it was really not good. I was then interested in Sherlock especially to fit into my new, rather flash, tandem. I can't tell you how disappointed I have been. I have tried on several occasions to get it up and running, but I have never been able to get it to work consistently. I would set it on outside a building, on returning to the bike, I would then ride off and nothing got activated even when you get home, it says that the bike is still where it was left. In the end I gave up on it but recently I got an email saying that my 2 years 'free' tracking was expired and I needed to subscribe at 3 euros per month. I charged it up again to see if it would work, and again, was disappointed. I felt that 3 euros a month was too much for something that I could not trust. I asked how I could transfer ownership to see if I could sell it on eBay, only to be told that you can't!!!!