Padded shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ant...

Padded shorts

Post by Ant... »

I'm trying to find a pair of ordanary style shorts with a proper sewn in pad, not the ones with a thin thing on some mesh type underpants inside. I don't want to wear undershorts, as this just means wearing two pairs of shorts and I can't see the point in that.
pwa

Re: Padded shorts

Post by pwa »

Does such a thing exist? With ordinary (non-cycling specific look) shorts the padded element (if you opt for one) is normally a pair of padded undies.https://www.evanscycles.com/endura-sing ... t-EV292256

I have a pair of these briefs and the material is largely mesh, so you don't feel like you are wearing two pairs of shorts. The pad is okay rather than plush. I'd prefer a bit thicker but can't find it. I think a proper pad, which these have and lycra shorts have, has to be held in place by something that hugs the body, and such a pad just sewn into baggy shorts would move around too much and end up not where it ought to be.
Last edited by pwa on 16 Feb 2018, 11:20am, edited 2 times in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:Does such a thing exist? With ordinary (non-cycling specific look) shorts the padded element (if you opt for one) is normally a pair of padded undies.

I've got a pair in my cupboard. Never use them and tbh I can't remember where I bought them.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I may be wrong but isn't this idea slightly self defeating? The pad needs to stay in one place which it can't do with loose fitting shorts. I see the OPs point. It does seem silly to wear 2 pairs of short, especially in warm weather. Dunno why MTBers do. Fashion?
Probably a pair of padded briefs with minimally seamed outers would be the best solution.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Corinne Dennis does these traditional touring shorts which have a double seat, but I don't know if that implies some padding. You could email her and ask.

I think than MTB loose-shorts-plus-padded-undershorts is not just fashion. The outer shorts can be made of tougher material such as nylon ripstop which is more resistant to snags and scrapes, while the mesh inners are easy to wash and quicker drying than regular padded shorts.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mattsccm wrote:I may be wrong but isn't this idea slightly self defeating? The pad needs to stay in one place which it can't do with loose fitting shorts. I see the OPs point. It does seem silly to wear 2 pairs of short, especially in warm weather. Dunno why MTBers do. Fashion?
Probably a pair of padded briefs with minimally seamed outers would be the best solution.

I think people who choose not to wear just lycra shorts are uncomfortable with the idea of their bulges being on display. They prefer the look of ordinary shorts. If you want ordinary shorts you also want minimal underwear, and that is where the mesh things upthread come in. They keep the pad in place but the material of the under shorts is almost as much gaps as fabric. So not like wearing lycra under normal shorts. You don't cook with them on.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

LollyKat wrote:Corinne Dennis does these traditional touring shorts which have a double seat, but I don't know if that implies some padding.
It is a thin "fleece" layer, not padding as such. I've been using them for about 15 years now and bought a new pair last year, usually with no additional padding other than that which nature gave me.
Ant...

Post by Ant... »

I already have a couple of pairs of MTB shorts and the pads are pretty thin things, nowhere near as good as proper cycling shorts for long days in the saddle.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have a pair of the lose (more "normal", less "lycra lout") MTB cycling shorts but they are the two part ones you don't like i.e. outer lose shorts with an inner padded meshy/thin inside thing. The inside paded yjing does have popers to fit and become "parts of" the outer" and thus behave partially as a single garment but they are technically two bits.

I can appreciate your comments about "can't see the point" but there are a few advantages:
    You can buy xtra pairs of the inners and as they are thin (and cheaper) you can wash them without worrying about drying (alternate pairs)
    With lose shorts, the pads would move around with the shorts and you'd probably end-up with padding where you don't want it and no padding where you do. The tight lycra fitting does hold the padding in the right place and the shape of the padding appears specific to avoid padding certain areas (that don't want it ...)
I rarely use these lose shorts as, despite not liking the appearance of lycra, they do work and I do find the lose shorts quite a lot hotter. Plus, I seem to need better/thicker padding and the lose shorts with padded inners tend to have thinner padding.

Ian
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I bought some MTB cycling specific shorts that came with inner shorts with the padded element . Ride them for 3 miles like wearing a nappy . :x Stopped in the first town and bought some racing shorts,