The sad loss of Charlie Craig.

landsurfer

The sad loss of Charlie Craig.

Post by landsurfer »

Is it time to return to a minimum age for cycle competition ?
What a terrible loss for all his family and friends.

"The inquest into the death of 15-year-old cyclocross star Charlie Craig has heard that he died after suffering a heart attack in his sleep at his home in Hayfield, Derbyshire.
South Manchester Coroner’s Court was told by pathologist Dr Sami Titi that Craig had suffered a heart attack prior to his death on January 20 2017.

Professor Sanjay Sharma, a cardiologist for the English Institute of Sport, said that he believed the heart had been damaged by heart attacks over a prolonged period due to ‘high surges of adrenaline’ which had left scarring, and ultimately to cause it to stop beating

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... 9u0W2Y4.99 "
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
whoof

Re: The sad loss of Charlie Craig.

Post by whoof »

Very sad loss.

landsurfer wrote:Is it time to return to a minimum age for cycle competition ?

Probably not, and I don't know when it was ever so. RTTC (CTT) have been running the GHS for >12 <17 year old since 1966.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

thats shocking that it could have gone unnoticed? makes me think about us elderly ones?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Sounds like it could have been a congenital heart defect inherited from his dad Nick.

So you stop all kids doing sport at a young age to protect a few who might have heart defects? The effect of kids not doing sport would be far greater. We already have a childhood obesity crisis.

Most of the current UK crop of professional riders also started riding at the age of 8 or younger. Ben Swift, Alex Dowsett, Pete Kennaugh, Ian Stannard et al. I know this, as my son ( a former UK home based pro rider) is the same age and grew up racing against them.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Not stop kids doing sport .... Stop kids training like pros .... Let their bodies grow without self (and pushy parent ) instigated stress .... Let their physiology match the stress they exert on their bodies .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Not stop kids doing sport .... Stop kids training like pros .... Let their bodies grow without self (and pushy parent ) instigated stress .... Let their physiology match the stress they exert on their bodies .....

From the link the inquest is ongoing, maybe it's best to leave the conclusions till the end.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

landsurfer wrote:Not stop kids doing sport .... Stop kids training like pros .... Let their bodies grow without self (and pushy parent ) instigated stress .... Let their physiology match the stress they exert on their bodies .....

In my experience, kids don't train like Pro's. They just ride their bikes. They don't start doing proper structured training until they are at least 14. Results up to that age are largely determined by natural talent and rate of physical development. Look at U12 and U14 race results and see how many of the top riders are still winning when they are 18. Peter Kennaugh is a good example. Decent rider up to the age of 15 but nothing special, but he carried on improving to become one of the top U23 riders.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
531colin

Post by 531colin »

What a tragedy. Nobody expects to outlive their child, or their kid brother.
What an unimaginably awful thing for this family, to lose their youngster.......he was doing the thing they love, I don't know if that makes it worse or better.
There are times to make big decisions; there are reasons to make them.
A time of grief is not a time to make big decisions; a journalists report is not a reason.
hondated

Post by hondated »

landsurfer wrote:Is it time to return to a minimum age for cycle competition ?
What a terrible loss for all his family and friends.

"The inquest into the death of 15-year-old cyclocross star Charlie Craig has heard that he died after suffering a heart attack in his sleep at his home in Hayfield, Derbyshire.
South Manchester Coroner’s Court was told by pathologist Dr Sami Titi that Craig had suffered a heart attack prior to his death on January 20 2017.

Professor Sanjay Sharma, a cardiologist for the English Institute of Sport, said that he believed the heart had been damaged by heart attacks over a prolonged period due to ‘high surges of adrenaline’ which had left scarring, and ultimately to cause it to stop beating

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... 9u0W2Y4.99 "

Very sad indeed. I just hope that his family get comfort from knowing that he just went off to sleep.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Stop children training! :evil:

Why not go the whole hog and stop people with congenital health problems from BREEDING. :roll:

Then we will have gone from a Nanny state to a totalitarian one. :twisted:........ GATTAGA(film) anyone?

A better suggestion would be better medical care/treatment +regular checkups for children in training for any competition (pro or amateur).

RIP Charlie.
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

Couldn't agree more with that comment.. Years ago I advised my neighbour to stop his seven/eight year old kiddies to stop the very intense physical training I witnessed when the youth club team was training in our local park. All eight/nine year olds need is to just run about using their natural energy. Not pulling, tugging and weight-training to young undeveloped bodies. Sadly, he took no notice of my observations with his first lad!!