Wiggle's Verenti Substance II

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
dainiusd

Wiggle's Verenti Substance II

Post by dainiusd »

Hi all,

I'm looking if anyone has already bought new Verenti Substance II from Wiggle and has to share any impressions?
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-substan ... ke-yellow/)
As they are online only it's hard to decide about purchase without seeing it in reality. I like that it has all modern stuff like flat mount brakes, through axles and tapered headtube, but not all information is accurate. Bike spec says it's got 700x35 tyres, but I can see 700x37 in pictures, and Q&A says 40c tyres won't fit, so I'm a bit confused :D :D
malvandy

Re: Wiggle's Verenti Substance II

Post by malvandy »

I got a Verenti from Wiggle in 2015. It was the Verenti Defence, basically it was promoted as a winter trainer, mudguards & all. Nowhere near the higher spec of the Substance11 & half the price. The only down for mine is the paintwork, slightest knock & what seems to be a very thin layer comes of. The Defence has the same carbon forks which is great. I do enjoy the bike .Good service from Wiggle so no complaints there.
dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

So after couple of responses from wiggle, I'm buying it. It appears my friend works there and managed to take a pic while it was built :D

dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

Here it is after few mods - binned the PF30 bottom bracket and FSA crankset, changed into 1x11, lighter wheels, 42mm tyres and leather saddle.
Like the bike after few short rides already - stiff and fast, huge tyre clearance.
malvandy

Post by malvandy »

What sort of BB & crankset did you fit if you don't mind telling me
dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

It's Wheels Manufacturing threaded PF30 to BSA bottom bracket + Shimano Ultegra 6650 cranks. No more press fit, no creaking :)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You've changed an awful lot immediately on purchase, if you don't mind me stating the bleedin' obvious!
dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

Just because there is no perfect bike in the world, especially when bike builders are skimming on wheels and cranksets.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

dainiusd wrote:Just because there is no perfect bike in the world, especially when bike builders are skimming on wheels and cranksets.

That is so right!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

dainiusd wrote:Just because there is no perfect bike in the world, especially when bike builders are skimming on wheels and cranksets.

I suppose my subtext was that you can't be all that far off a custom build - or at least building up a frame from scratch, so was interested in your route.
dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

Well in the end it will be totally custom bike, but original one is not bad too, except the bottom bracket :mrgreen:
davidnearcotswolds

Post by davidnearcotswolds »

I'm thinking of getting a Verenti Substance Tiagra at UKP 680

I've recently got back into cycling - riding a hybrid I bought second-hand

Was originally going to wait until Feb next year to make sure I'm really into this before upgrading

But at 680 this looks like an amazing deal

So I guess my question is - any reason IYHO not to go for it ???

Cheers - David
bikebakker

Post by bikebakker »

Same here, I am thinking of getting the Verenti Substance II Apex 1x in blue/orange. I really like the bike in two tone yellow though. But blue/orange is the only choice. I'm okay with that.

How is the geometry of the bike? Which size should I take? I know there is a sizing chart on Wiggle's website but using that I get a larger than usally frame size advised.
I'm about 1.86 meter (6 foot, 1 inch), weight: 69kg (152 pounds) and have average inseam, about 89 cm.

Should I get a 56 or 58 frame?
dainiusd

Post by dainiusd »

I think you should get size 56, I'm 185cm and 88cm inseam and it's perfect size for me. Larger bike would be ok too, but you'll need shorter stem.
bikebakker

Post by bikebakker »

Not entirely the right topic but since I was originally interested in the Verenti and Verenti=Vitus more or less, here's a shot of my new Vitus Substance V2, SRAM 1x Apex.
I received the bike last week and put it on a test ride this weekend on a gravel tour. I like it though it's kind of slow and heavy. I have to get used to a more relaxed type of touring.