Lumicycle problem - water penetration

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
malakoffee

Lumicycle problem - water penetration

Post by malakoffee »

Any Lumicycle owners out there ?
Is it just my set or does water penatrate into the actual halogen bulb reflector units on your lights too ?

OK so the lights still carry on working, but the reflectors are noticeably tarnished. It seems a bit of a waste to have powerful lights, but with some % of the light wasted on the effects of water damage.

I mentioned this to Lumicycle. They acknowledged that the bulb units leak - but they are "good enough".

So there you have it - Lumicycle are . . . "good enough".
TATANAB

Re:Lumicycle problem - water penetration

Post by TATANAB »

I've not had problems with water penetration, but I have lost a few bulb units by the connecting wires breaking off where they exit the bulb unit. This is partly due to the connector block and partly due to using the lights at speed on extremely rough and pot holed roads.
Si Davies

Post by Si Davies »

I've not noticed any water in mine, but, after a while the insides of the lenses do get covered with a residue of pale coloured stuff - this is the rubber (that's meant to keep the water out) degrading and spreading around the lamp.
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

Thanks for that info.

I'm wondering if my MR11s are just part of a bad batch. Has anyone tries replacing them with units purchased over the internet - at about £2 per unit - compared to the £8 that Lumicycle charge ??
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

. . even more interesting . . . I have just unscrewed a lamp unit and there is no sign of any rubber sealing ring . . . . it's just metal/MR11/metal .

Have I misunderstood ??

Thanks for the tip Si . . . .
Si Davies

Post by Si Davies »

I've replaced the lumi bulb units with new, cheaper ones from Maplins - they work fine.
malakoffee

Post by malakoffee »

Hi Si,

Coincidence !! I picked up a couple of new 10W - 10 degree MR11s from the new Maplins in Farnborough on saturday. These were the only really suitable ones from their very limited range. Others had much wider beams.

Still I can't complain at £1.99 each - they seem to work well.