Billy Graham in heaven?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Has Billy Graham gone to heaven?

Poll ended at 21 Mar 2018, 4:43pm

Yes, he is there now
No votes
He will be admitted when he arrives
No votes
Not yet, he has to be processed
No votes
He is waiting behind Bob Holman
No votes
He will spend time in purgaTory
No votes
No
29%
Don't know
10%
Don't care
33%
He will go to hell
19%
Who is Billy Graham?
10%

Total votes: 21

Cyril Haearn

Billy Graham in heaven?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Billy Graham just died, he was 99. I knew of him of course, I used to go to church in the 1970s, read the Guardian report, seems he was a Good Guy, advised Jimmy Carter and others
I just wonder how rich he was personally :wink:
But will he go to heaven?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 21 Feb 2018, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Re: Billy Graham in heaven?

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Billy Graham just died, he was 99. I knew of him of course, I used to go to church in the 1970s, read the Guardian report, seems he was a Good Guy, advised Jimmy Carter and others

incomplete so I cant vote "Enters the gates of Hell"

His brand of religeon was an obscenity. I remember attending one of his "tents" I think it was in Norwich UK
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Billy Graham just died, he was 99. I knew of him of course, I used to go to church in the 1970s, read the Guardian report, seems he was a Good Guy, advised Jimmy Carter and others

His brand of religeon was an obscenity. I remember attending one of his "tents" I think it was in Norwich UK

Just augmented the poll, you may vote now
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

He did about 90 minutes of preaching to over 10,000 at Villa Park and within minutes had received donations in excess of £1,000,000 from those wanting to book a place in heaven. Pretty good selling job. Only topped by Jimmy Swaggart who after preaching for 30 minutes on TV estimated to have received $20,000,000 in donations.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:

Did you believe back then, what changed your view? Did you go to Greenbelt too?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

He had also had a side kick called DIck Saunders also now dead and gone

https://www.evangelical-times.org/41983/evangelist-dick-saunders-1930-2018/
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm not usually one to say this, but this thread, and in particular having a poll seems in rather bad taste, given he's literally just died, and irrespective of one's views of his religion, there seems to be unanimity that this was a profoundly decent man. :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Surely heaven needs defining first before anyone can decide if he went there.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm not usually one to say this, but this thread, and in particular having a poll seems in rather bad taste, given he's literally just died, and irrespective of one's views of his religion, there seems to be unanimity that this was a profoundly decent man. :?

Thanks for that, I took it on board
Seems to me, the best time to assess someone is just after they died, reading various obituaries and opinions..
BTW I have not voted, just don't know. Yet

Alternative facts welcome
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'm not usually one to say this, but this thread, and in particular having a poll seems in rather bad taste, given he's literally just died, and irrespective of one's views of his religion, there seems to be unanimity that this was a profoundly decent man. :?

Thanks for that, I took it on board
Seems to me, the best time to assess someone is just after they died, reading various obituaries and opinions..
BTW I have not voted, just don't know. Yet

Alternative facts welcome

No debate about that, and would never want to suppress discussion, but what grates is the trivialisation inherent in the use of a poll.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Err cough,Vietnam war,views on women's equality and feminism.......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is there? If so, that's a bit worrying. It seems like he was basically a religious version of those TV channels badgering people to phone in to basically give money to keep the show on the air, plus he seemed to hold some pretty extreme Christian conservative views: he claimed his agreement with Nixon's anti-Jewish opinions was misreported, but did he ever deny suggesting killing a million Vietnamese or reconsider being anti-feminist?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Now we're debating, not* voting in a rather simplistic poll :wink:

*or perhaps as well as, sadly.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

We all have what I think of as a personal "Bank account" in terms of how we at least try to live our lives. I reckon that BG's is in the black*.

*He was good on race and non-segregation, AIUI, at a time when many fewer were of that persuasion.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

he and his copycat sidekicks like Dick Saunders espoused an obscene type of "personal" religeon "Jesus is your ( personal) friend who is here with you now, by your side" that exploited the immaturity and vulnerability of young people asking the important questions of identity. There is that old saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

I see the poll has been terminated. shame. seems like billy was going down down down
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Feb 2018, 6:21pm, edited 4 times in total.