Billy Graham in heaven?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Has Billy Graham gone to heaven?

Poll ended at 21 Mar 2018, 4:43pm

Yes, he is there now
No votes
He will be admitted when he arrives
No votes
Not yet, he has to be processed
No votes
He is waiting behind Bob Holman
No votes
He will spend time in purgaTory
No votes
No
29%
Don't know
10%
Don't care
33%
He will go to hell
19%
Who is Billy Graham?
10%

Total votes: 21

pete75

Re: Billy Graham in heaven?

Post by pete75 »

Vorpal wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/21/billy-graham-wrong-side-history

The author left out Graham's consistent denunciations of feminism, but otherwise, I think this article sums it up rather nicely.

When I was growing up, he was the origianl televangelist, telling me and my friends every Sunday (had we been inclined to listen) that we were going to burn in hell.

It's strange about these evangelists. They don't believe in Zeus or Odin or Anubis or Ganesha or any of a hundred other gods yet they claim someone who doesn't believe in their god will be damned for all eternity
Last edited by pete75 on 22 Feb 2018, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I've found the tone and tenor of this thread rather unpleasant.

Guess what, a soupcon of hyperbole seems to be de rigeur on here, and maybe I have slipped into it - but my point remains, it's far from the Board's finest hour IMHO, starting with a distasteful Poll, and continuing from there.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:He made a good living out of preaching. Net worth about $25 million. http://time.com/money/5168865/billy-gra ... ney-greed/

Not bad for a man preaching the gospel of a penniless itinerant Arab Jewish carpenter who died horribly some 2000 years ago.
My old Dad used to say "money sorts the men out from the boys" he wasn't wrong,and whilst it's nice to live comfortable,$25 million buys a lot of comfort when so many go without,and tends to make a mockery of Luke ch3 v 11.

esp in the land of the free where there is so much poverty?if I was that well off I would feel very embarassed and feel inclined to give most of it away keep maybe £2-3m - thats enough for most people? He is no mother Theresa - now thats a different story? just putting her name along side his says it all I think? whose religeon gathers respect?

I am also surprised at the amount of negativity, I thought I might be alone on this. unlike Bonefishblues I find it heartening that so many reject his concept of religeon: he was one of the bad things about the USA - like the purItans who left the UK due to oppression then set up their own version in the new world

That Guardian article is quite surprising - is he the only one to speak out? in summary BG a very very misguided man who wasted his substantial gifts & opportunities and achieved little of real value? other than $25m
Last edited by mercalia on 22 Feb 2018, 1:49pm, edited 10 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:Guess what, a soupcon of hyperbole seems to be de rigeur on here, and maybe I have slipped into it - but my point remains, it's far from the Board's finest hour IMHO, starting with a distasteful Poll, and continuing from there.

Why do you feel it's distasteful? What was mean-spirited or unaccepting of difference? These assertions are being thrown around so wildly that it's not surprising if people are feeling bruised!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Guess what, a soupcon of hyperbole seems to be de rigeur on here, and maybe I have slipped into it - but my point remains, it's far from the Board's finest hour IMHO, starting with a distasteful Poll, and continuing from there.

Why do you feel it's distasteful? What was mean-spirited or unaccepting of difference? These assertions are being thrown around so wildly that it's not surprising if people are feeling bruised!

I apologise to everyone I have offended on the thread.

There, sorted.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It may not be respectful to post such a poll, but he was a public figure worth millions. Following on from the commentary both ways in the media, it hardly seems so horrid. Unless we should ban all disprespect pf public fingures on the forum? Or even just the dead ones?

Billy Graham's opinions were disrespectful of me, though I'm sure he and his many followers would deny it.

Have you ever heard of the Billy Graham rule? It is a personal requirement, adopted by a significant minority of evangelical Christian men, including Vice President Mike Pence, to *never* be alone with a woman other than his wife.

Let me translate that for you, just in case it's not clear. Solely because of Billy Graham, some men think I require a chaperone for one-on-one meetings, working at a customer's site on machinery, travelling for business, or doing other work that requires two (but not more) people to work or travel together. The number of men who believe this is thankfully very small, but I have, nonetheless encountered them in my professional career.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have heard or read of that rule

Does it apply to evangelical females too, what about children or parents/grandparents/doctors? Does the rule apply only to those over 16 or 18?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote: ........ Have you ever heard of the Billy Graham rule? ................
Never. :shock:

Seems a very stupid rule in this day and age. He was 90odd when he died, so maybe he had views from a different age?
Still weird and daft though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham_rule
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:It may not be respectful to post such a poll, but he was a public figure worth millions. Following on from the commentary both ways in the media, it hardly seems so horrid. Unless we should ban all disprespect pf public fingures on the forum? Or even just the dead ones?

Billy Graham's opinions were disrespectful of me, though I'm sure he and his many followers would deny it.

Have you ever heard of the Billy Graham rule? It is a personal requirement, adopted by a significant minority of evangelical Christian men, including Vice President Mike Pence, to *never* be alone with a woman other than his wife.

Let me translate that for you, just in case it's not clear. Solely because of Billy Graham, some men think I require a chaperone for one-on-one meetings, working at a customer's site on machinery, travelling for business, or doing other work that requires two (but not more) people to work or travel together. The number of men who believe this is thankfully very small, but I have, nonetheless encountered them in my professional career.

It translates to me as either BG couldn't trust himself to be alone with a woman except his wife :shock:
Or he didn't trust women that would be alone with him :shock: :shock:
Odd innit?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have heard or read of that rule

Does it apply to evangelical females too, what about children or parents/grandparents/doctors? Does the rule apply only to those over 16 or 18?

It doesn't apply to children or parents. Just unrelated women, as far as I can figure. I would guess they draw the line around 18 years old or so. It only applies to women as those requiring chaperones. Of course two women are allowed to be alone together.

As for doctors, well, they are professionals and it's their choice. But I suspect that evangelical Christian men who follow such a rule would likely take the their wives to the doctor, anyway.

Her's a little more about it, with views from both sides http://www.gospelherald.com/articles/70 ... llegal.htm
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:It translates to me as either BG couldn't trust himself to be alone with a woman except his wife :shock:
Odd innit?

Honestly, I think it was to avoid any appearance of scandal, when so many TV preachers were involved in scandalous behaviour.

What it *implies* however, is that a women is either a wife and homemaker, or she is a seductress and object of sexual desire (Eve who led Adam astray), and has little or no function outside of these two roles.
hondated

Post by hondated »

661-Pete wrote:Another comment about the 'happy-clappy' brigade - not necessarily BG-inspired. One warm and sunny Saturday, many years ago, they were busy at it, tambourines and all, in our town centre, entertaining the shoppers in full cry. OK. There was also a busker, on the opposite side of the square, strumming away at his guitar, in the hope of collecting a few coppers to boost his meagre (if any) income.

Needless to say, the twin outpourings of contrasting music didn't quite blend into perfect harmony, so after a while the leader of the evangelist troupe walked over to the busker and (I presume) asked him quietly if he wouldn't mind desisting.

The busker then shouted out in a loud voice, so that everyone in the square could hear him, "You're not being very Christian are you?"

Enough said...

Got to say that IME I too would have to echo the words of the busker when it comes to " church goers " even having once attended an Alpha Course.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:esp in the land of the free where there is so much poverty?if I was that well off I would feel very embarassed and feel inclined to give most of it away keep maybe £2-3m - thats enough for most people?

There's a teaching in Evangelical Christianity called "Prosperity Teaching",which states that if you are fully committed and have total faith Jesus,God(Jesus)will return the committment by bestowing you with material wealth in abundance,and if you don't receive such wealth then you don't have enough faith.
I'll leave you to work out whether such teachings are of Christian origin or otherwise and it's effect on those who believe everything such preachers say but aren't materially wealthy
Last edited by reohn2 on 22 Feb 2018, 3:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It translates to me as either BG couldn't trust himself to be alone with a woman except his wife :shock:
Odd innit?

Honestly, I think it was to avoid any appearance of scandal, when so many TV preachers were involved in scandalous behaviour.

What it *implies* however, is that a women is either a wife and homemaker, or she is a seductress and object of sexual desire (Eve who led Adam astray), and has little or no function outside of these two roles.

Which amounts to the same thing really,he either couldn trust himself or women :?
W H Auden
hondated

Post by hondated »

pwa wrote:He failed to fire up the UK as a Christian nation. It just didn't happen. Maybe he had some impact in the USA, but not here.

I think probably his biggest victory here was influencing Cliff Richard to become a christian. And what surprises me about that is that when Jet Harris ( Shadows) later on in his life encountered problems CR attitude towards him to me didnt appear to be very christian.