Anyone like their Garmin Edge 25?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
busb

Anyone like their Garmin Edge 25?

Post by busb »

Had mine for nearly 8 months & am somewhat underwhelmed. It seriously underestimates average speed for starters & IMO, the battery life is pretty poor. You cannot select miles & kilos - it's either all imperial or metric. The Garmin Connect app (IOS) needs a lot more development & often resets the button beep to on so have to change it back on the device itself.
I also use the Cyclemeter app on my phone - it's not perfect but much better & a lot more accurate in calculating av speed for instance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Anyone like their Garmin Edge 25?

Post by Mick F »

I have the junior version ............. Edge 20.

Excellent cheap bit of kit, but you do need decent software. Forget Garmin software, get something better.
I have Apple Macs and use Ascent. The software sorts all the errors out, and recalculates the speed/distance/ascent/calories etc etc etc.

If you want a good Garmin, you need to spend loadsa dosh. I have a Garmin Montana and although the info from it is great, Ascent analyses it even better. Trouble is, Ascent is dead(?) though the software works wonderfully. Used it for fifteen years or thereabouts.

http://montebellosoftware.com
Mick F. Cornwall
busb

Post by busb »

A shame it's no longer available - they even had an IOS version. The problem with the Edge's av speed calculation is the threshold is too high so miscalculates on short commutes where I start & stop constantly. The longer the journey, the greater the accuracy. I was climbing up a very steep hill last year at a fairly leisurely pace - it went into pause!
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

it went into pause!

You can turn off auto-pause, and the threshold is adjustable, although I don't know what the minimum limit is... I just turn it off.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

amediasatex wrote:
it went into pause!

You can turn off auto-pause, and the threshold is adjustable, although I don't know what the minimum limit is... I just turn it off.

I was just about to post the same comment as I was sure the threshold was adjustable, however taking a look I can't find anywhere in the settings.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

however taking a look I can't find anywhere in the settings.

Well... It's been adjustable on every Garmin I've ever had, and is on my (current) Edge Touring and Edge 200, but I will admit I don't have a 25 in front of me to check, would be odd if they removed the feature, I'd be very surprised if you can't at least still turn off auto-pause.
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

amediasatex wrote:Well... It's been adjustable on every Garmin I've ever had, and is on my (current) Edge Touring and Edge 200, but I will admit I don't have a 25 in front of me to check, would be odd if they removed the feature, I'd be very surprised if you can't at least still turn off auto-pause.

I worded that badly, auto-pause can still be turned on and off, it's just the speed adjustment setting that I couldn't find.
busb

Post by busb »

There ain't no threshold setting - the functionality has been whittled down for the 20/25. I'll turn off Auto pause for tomorrow's morning ride but I'm stationary for quite a few minutes & don't really want the distraction of manually stopping & starting the damned thing. Will compare the av speed to Cyclemeter when I get to work.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

There ain't no threshold setting - the functionality has been whittled down for the 20/25.

Well that's disappointing! Why on earth did they see fit to remove that option, can't see what it would gain you at all...
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'd start by signing up to a free account on Strava and uploading to that. Deal with one issue at a time. I've tried devices from other brands such as Polar, the results aren't much different to the Garmin.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

busb wrote:A shame it's no longer available - they even had an IOS version. The problem with the Edge's av speed calculation is the threshold is too high so miscalculates on short commutes where I start & stop constantly. The longer the journey, the greater the accuracy. I was climbing up a very steep hill last year at a fairly leisurely pace - it went into pause!

Could you elaborate a bit, please? I've got an Edge 25 and the battery life is indeed [inappropriate word removed] but I do wonder why it goes into auto pause briefly for no apparent reason. I'm rolling along quite happily and it will suddenly auto-pause and then auto-resume. No idea why.
RickH

Post by RickH »

amediasatex wrote:
There ain't no threshold setting - the functionality has been whittled down for the 20/25.

Well that's disappointing! Why on earth did they see fit to remove that option, can't see what it would gain you at all...

It is a shame they didn't at least retain the "Auto Pause When Stopped" option of the more advanced units, even if the auto pause custom speed has been removed.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Eton Rifle wrote:
busb wrote:A shame it's no longer available - they even had an IOS version. The problem with the Edge's av speed calculation is the threshold is too high so miscalculates on short commutes where I start & stop constantly. The longer the journey, the greater the accuracy. I was climbing up a very steep hill last year at a fairly leisurely pace - it went into pause!

Could you elaborate a bit, please? I've got an Edge 25 and the battery life is indeed <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> but I do wonder why it goes into auto pause briefly for no apparent reason. I'm rolling along quite happily and it will suddenly auto-pause and then auto-resume. No idea why.

My 200 can do similar things in heavy tree cover. I think it loses some of the satellite fixes and gets the calculations wrong. No idea why it should do that in the open.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I pauses because it looses lock. If it didn't pause, it would record all the scatter and your distances would be wrong, or WAY wrong.
If it pauses, and then resumes, the two points are calculated as a straight line which is more likely. These two points are joined up in the recording.

Look at this:
This is me out and back under tree cover without auto pause.
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 07.14.58.png
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

I agree with iandriver - my Edge Touring Plus pauses because I'm going uphill, rather than because of tree cover. It's annoying. Like it's saying "You're pedalling too slowly!"