Haematoma advice/reassurance

Thornyone

Haematoma advice/reassurance

Post by Thornyone »

A little over 5 weeks ago I came off my bike on black ice, giving my shin a bash with the bike frame. I got straight back on the bike and carried on for a swim (didn't manage much). There was a large painful swelling on my shin. I tend not to get dramatically coloured bruises, but my leg has tended to get a quite pronounced identation from my sock suggesting that the whole lower leg is a bit swollen (other leg not at all). There is now no pain, but I still have a hard lump about the size of half a boiled egg on my shin. There is no noticeable heat. Having googled, I am wondering whether I should have got/should still get a GP to check it (groan- I hate going to the doctor). Seems that exercising on it may not have been a smart move :( I wonder if anyone else has experience of such a lingering lump?
Vorpal

Re: Haematoma advice/reassurance

Post by Vorpal »

I have a couple lumps on my shins from banging them. Mine are rather smaller than yours, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Vorpal wrote:I have a couple lumps on my shins from banging them. Mine are rather smaller than yours, though.

How long ago did you bash them?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thornyone wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I have a couple lumps on my shins from banging them. Mine are rather smaller than yours, though.

How long ago did you bash them?

Years ago. One of them was in 2012. It was rather bigger when I did it. I still don't think it was as big as yours.

If you're worried, it's best to go to the GP.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thornyone wrote:A little over 5 weeks ago I came off my bike on black ice, giving my shin a bash with the bike frame. I got straight back on the bike and carried on for a swim (didn't manage much). There was a large painful swelling on my shin. I tend not to get dramatically coloured bruises, but my leg has tended to get a quite pronounced identation from my sock suggesting that the whole lower leg is a bit swollen (other leg not at all). There is now no pain, but I still have a hard lump about the size of half a boiled egg on my shin. There is no noticeable heat. Having googled, I am wondering whether I should have got/should still get a GP to check it (groan- I hate going to the doctor). Seems that exercising on it may not have been a smart move :( I wonder if anyone else has experience of such a lingering lump?

I had one on my hip, a couple of years back Doctor just said it would go away takes bout 3 to 4 weeks. I would suggest Vorpal's lumps though are not haematoma. managed to do it again just before Christmas. Again it went away no problem.
NUKe

Post by Thornyone »

Thanks. I have decided to see my GP re probable carpal tunnel issue which my ostrich position is doing nothing to cure so will flash my leg too if still an issue another three weeks down the line.