Snow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Snow

Post by TrevA »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it (apart from London). The Beast from the East is certainly wreaking havoc here in the East Midlands. We have several inches and the wind is making it drift quite a bit. Won't be riding for a few days I think. Might have to get the turbo out.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NUKe

Re: Snow

Post by NUKe »

Coming home from work , I had to walk part way as I couldn't see the road anymore on an exposed part of my commute.wind was pushing the snow off the fields. More worried about the ice tomorrow, as most off my commute is on untreated roads.
NUKe

Post by PeterBL »

Yesterdays commute:
Most roads were plowed more than this, so I managed to do some actual cycling.

PS: I’m not the UK, but still exposed to the same eastern winds.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Strange how the photographer often gets there first to greet the arrival of a bold pioneer. :wink:

A decent hat's the first thing to consider to retain body heat.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it (snow)

I seem to have read of little else. :?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Just ridden home on the Bath Bristol railway path and really enjoyed it. I only saw two other cyclists from Bath to Warmly (about 7-8 miles).As I was using studded Winter tyres I tried to ride on compacted snow where others had been. However these ruts are disappearing fast as the snow is building quickly but no where near anything like the photo above.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Snowing here.
Not really snow, but sort of ice tiny crystals. You can hear them hitting the ground.
Sitting here in the livingroom with the fire lit. :D

White car in the snow. Sort of camouflage.
IMG_0342.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

whoof wrote:Just ridden home on the Bath Bristol railway path and really enjoyed it. I only saw two other cyclists from Bath to Warmly (about 7-8 miles).As I was using studded Winter tyres I tried to ride on compacted snow where others had been. However these ruts are disappearing fast as the snow is building quickly but no where near anything like the photo above.

I find actual ruts quite disruptive, taking my front wheel off-course and disrupting my balance, quite different to the busier bits of my ride where compacted snow is indeed very easy to ride across with studs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

A door on Stainmore reminds me of 63.
886661E0-C229-4DB8-A44D-027C5444FFE1.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I cycled to work using studded tyres today. I cycled home over compacted snow and had a hairy moment on a corner at low speed so you still need to take care.

Studs really come into their own on ice which is what I bought them for.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.......... and it reminds me of our back door in early '63 too. :D
Dad picked up the coal shovel from the kitchen fire, and dug us out. I remember it well.

This house.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59857 ... 312!8i6656
We didn't have those trees back then.
If you zoom in, you'll see my painting the name on the gate post. Robin House. We left there in 1966, so my painting has done well!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.59857 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
Username

Post by Username »

TrevA wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it (apart from London). The Beast from the East is certainly wreaking havoc here in the East Midlands. We have several inches and the wind is making it drift quite a bit. Won't be riding for a few days I think. Might have to get the turbo out.

Ended up taking time off work tonight due to warnings. So far we have only had a dusting of snow, despite amber warnings for snow, wind and ice. Will be pretty pissed if this is all that it turns out to be. I mean how serious should I take future warnings? It seems that it would be way too dangerous to try and ride in but so far that is rubbish! All this fuss, its pathetic!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I agree.
We are inundated with information and facts, but too much maybe, and it's not necessarily correct for you/us locally.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Phileas wrote:I cycled to work using studded tyres today. I cycled home over compacted snow and had a hairy moment on a corner at low speed so you still need to take care.

Studs really come into their own on ice which is what I bought them for.

Yes the ones I have are designed for ice and not snow. But even on ice I still take it easy as it is possible for the tyre to grip the ice but the ice to delaminate from the road.

If the snow sticks and gets thick which looks likely, I've been watching cars wheel spinning and struggling to get up a slight incline outside my house on a gritted road, I won't be using them tomorrow.
Si

Post by Si »

Turned up at school and strangley the kids wanted to stay in and do netball in the hall rather than go out and do bikeability. Kids of today eh?
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm in Rubery (South Brum) and have just driven from Monkspath via the back lanes through earlswood. SNow is not very deep at all, BUT underneath it there are the occasional slippery bits even where it appears clear. 20mph and second gear all the way, except for the 1st gear bits!

No way would I get the bike out on these surfaces, let alone the below freezing temps and wind chill!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !