Cutout Saddles and Prostate

Steveonthecoast

Cutout Saddles and Prostate

Post by Steveonthecoast »

I have an enlarged Prostate Gland and wondered if a Cutout Saddle would help aleviate the pressure on this. Thus making life a
bit more comfortable. Anybody got any advice or help on this matter.
pjclinch

Re: Cutout Saddles and Prostate

Post by pjclinch »

Steveonthecoast wrote:I have an enlarged Prostate Gland and wondered if a Cutout Saddle would help aleviate the pressure on this. Thus making life a bit more comfortable. Anybody got any advice or help on this matter.

Saddles are, like undercarriages, personal things. Give one a go and see how it feels, but note that if things feel better prostate-wise but bad otherwise then there are plenty of different cutout designs on the market, and some will suit your personal geometry better than others.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've used a cut out saddle for a good many years. They feel a bit strange to begin with.
There are many different types and I agree that it's a personal matter - I prefer a narrower saddle and it took me some time to find something suitable - I eventually settled for a Selle Italia trans am XO - which used to be available with a leather cover from Decathlon but is no longer.
I did buy a couple with fake leather cover which split after a few months.
I wish you well in your search.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

A friend who had similar problems swears by one of these and uses one on his road bike
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wawer-Cycling- ... ddle&psc=1
NUKe

Post by bikepacker »

Since borrowing a bike 20 years ago in LA to go out riding with a cousin, I have been a fan of cut-out saddles for alleviating prostrate pressure. That saddle was a Nashbar touring saddle which I purchase some to bring home. Although comfortable the were not the most long lasting saddles and no longer made. Currently my preferred saddle is a leather covered Selle Italia Man Gel Flow, which is not quite as comfortable as the Nashbar but it gets close. I do have a B17 on my winter bike but that has spiked tyres it is probably used for less than 200 miles a year. That saddle has been known to give me pain. Also on my 'leave in town' bike I have a ladies leather covered SI Trans Am which is also a comfortable saddle.

All I can say is I have never suffered any prostrate problem and hopefully never will. If you are near Worcester you are welcome to visit me and try out my different ones.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I used to get awful saddle sore issues but I had to borrow a bike and that had a cut out and they actually eased even with increased riding.

So then brought one here, change it over to all my bikes and would very much recommend one.
Steveonthecoast

Post by Steveonthecoast »

Thanks to all for your comments and advice. I have today cut a slot in an old Aire saddle from Spa Cycles . It took some effort as it's quite thick leather. I used a Dremil and small
Drill to complete this. It ain't pretty but hope to try it over the next few days. If it works I may get a new Selle Italia saddle with a ready cut out.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I have similar issues and use Selle SMP saddles http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/selle-smp, but the cheapest and most basic model. I used to use a variety of Brookes saddles but as I "changed" these became very uncomfortable. Finding the Selle SMP was a revelation.

I recommended them to a club member who has had protate surgery and he swears that its the most comfortable saddle he has had post operatively. Saddles are of course very personal but at around £44 for the base model its well worth a try.
geomannie