Snow

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Fasgadh

Re: Snow

Post by Fasgadh »

Much happier in this stuff on the fatty than in a car. Even the black bits of today's ride were best avoided with a ton of metal if possible. Passed someone in a car (you know the brand, mutant Olympic symbol) in a full scale row with other cyclists - objecting to them being on the road (read his road).
Getting past 2km of completely filled in, dyke to dyke, road was interesting - made like Parker and took to the fields.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ironically, I have just returned from 2 weeks in Arctic Norway, including Nordkapp

We had cold (-22) but very little snow fall

In fact on a couple of occasions (Bergen on the way back) it was warmer than the UK as well
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:
TrevA wrote:
Driving is generally on 4 wheels whereas cycling is generally on 2. So you can't "fall off" your car, like you can on a bike. Also the tyres are much wider on a car, giving a bit more grip.

I didn't mean one's own safety, I meant the safety of those you might skid into in a car, despite the extra grip. Rhyl and Looe are two names that come to mind.

Yebbut screw them - if they wanted to be safe, they should be in a car, right? :-(

I've skidded in a car (grew up out in the villages, commuted across the wilds of Norfolk for a couple of winters) and I've skidded on a bike. If you take it slow and control it, it's not as scary as you might think, but I've no desire to repeat either. Given the choice, I'd skid on the bike - I've so much more road width to play with compared to my width that I suspect I'm less likely to collide with stuff - and less-skid-prone studded tyres are allowed on the bike and not the car, so I think it's an obvious choice: I'll take the bike. By far the main danger are the horrible motorists who are not only still choosing cars, but seem to be driving as if the roads are dry, but at least on a bike, I can take routes mostly away from them, whereas in a car, I'd have to mix it with those dangerous people all the time and the way they're going, I don't think a car's airbags and so on would be sufficient protection every time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Speaking about last week's weather with a Russian friend who lives in Cambridge she said 'Oh , it was wonderful but I do not think all English people agree with me'. She couldn't understand why so many trains were cancelled though.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a bit of old snow on the ground this morning, cycled into town, took refuge in a cool dark cinema
On the way home it was so hot, people were lying half-naked on the grass
One good thing about summer: people display tattoos that are otherwise private, it is fascinating to observe and speculate what they mean :wink:
I have no tattoos. Yet
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies