Driving an Aston Martin through the law

thirdcrank

Driving an Aston Martin through the law

Post by thirdcrank »

With apologies for a Daily Mail link - there's more detail there than in the others I checked - here's a case of a young man driving at 130 mph on a dual carriageway ie not even a motorway, who escaped a driving ban, largely because it would be inconvenient for him.

The presiding magistrate said: 'It is imperative that we articulate that driving at 100-130mph on any road, albeit in a car capable of reaching those speeds, is unacceptable. ...

... and went on to announce that the offender would not be disqualified. If this sort of thing hadn't become commonplace, you might find it hard to make it up. As for the implication that anything between 70 and 100 mph is acceptable ................. (And I'd have thought that doing it in a car not capable of those speeds would be impossible, but that's just being pedantic.)

Talking is cheap, yer worship.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 30mph.html
661-Pete

Re: Driving an Aston Martin through the law

Post by 661-Pete »

Ah well - he's one of Our Boys® detailed to keep a watchful eye on Las Malvinas - oops! sorry - "The Falklands", so that makes a difference. And, from the piccy, he smokes cigars - even better! Keep it up lad! Maybe next time you can top 150! :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If I needed my licence for my job I'd want to keep it by obeying the law whilst driving. If I didn't then a ban and loss of job would be the consequences that I'd expect to face. Take that away then what is the point of laws?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the consequences of breaking the law works for the majority of people as a deterrent. Is it time to consider removing loopholes such that there's no way of giving leniency? If you do the prescribed action there's no way to avoid the punishment. What is it called when someone avoids a driving ban despite 30 plus points because of exceptional circumstances? If that ban went ahead of would only be on them.

Sorry I'm all daily mail about it. If only he was a foreigner and my knee would jerk all the way up! :wink:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Suffolk magistrates again, although I think they are tied by sentencing guidelines. They keep letting rich people off on the grounds of hardship. I posted awhile back the footballer let off because he needed to travel to interviews. Slippery lawers tie up ley magistrates.
NUKe

Post by Bonefishblues »

I am slightly puzzled as to how an Army Captain aged 26 on c£40-sub £50K pa can afford (to run) a £150K car.
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

Bonefishblues wrote:I am slightly puzzled as to how an Army Captain aged 26 on c£40-sub £50K pa can afford (to run) a £150K car.

Rich parents, old boy. Never mind, the shame of his being in the REME will forever be a stain on the family honour.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I remember a case from the North, whilst we were cycle touring a few years ago

Woman had multiple speeding offences and went to court

She pleaded that as the Sister of a theatre unit that performed life saving surgery. Without her presence the team could not function, so by taking her car away from her, many lives would be placed at risk

So she kept her car

Then someone from her work reported her to the Nurse regulators.

She was in fact a junior member of the theatre team with no responsibilities whatsoever. Misrepresenting your professional status is a serious offence and she was then suspended from the register for 6 months, and hence unable to work
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The idea of revoking licences are a myth

If you look at the figures, they are mind boggling with repeat offenders getting away with it ..... repeatedly

There are more than 10,000 drivers with more than 12 points, with the record holder (Feb 2017) having 62 points on their licence, and there are half a dozen over 50, and over 100 with more than 24 points

Even if you give allowances for the 12 point margin, these people have continued to offend, and have unequivocally proved that they are totally incapable of driving legally and safely
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

New law, if any driver reaches 50 points all magistrates, etc who allowed them to drive after obtaining 12 points get released from their legal duties. Perhaps that way magistrates risk their position by allowing driving at 12 points because that could lead to 25 points (or some arbitrary level to be decided) later on.

Seriously, hardship at 12 points, tough sh1t at 25!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cunobelin wrote: ... If you look at the figures, ...

I wonder if any tally is kept of the number of these applications which fail? The impression is it can't be many, although perhaps it's only the utterly cheeky ones which are reported by the media.

Perhaps the beak should have suggested he should get his batman to take him out in the Batmobile. :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Another git walks,or drives in this case......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

What puzzles me is, driving bans are nearly always only temporary (however much we may wish for them to be permanent in many cases :evil: ). I recall the case of a former colleague of mine who (much to my delight - I couldn't stand the guy!) received a driving ban for speeding. My elation was somewhat tempered, however, when I learnt that his ban was for only one week. I have no idea what speed he was doing when he was clocked, but I doubt it was anywhere near 130mph!

So anyway, if this guy was to do a tour of duty in that god-forsaken south Atlantic venue, couldn't he have worked around any imposed ban? Postponed his service until the ban expired? I don't get it.

Speaking for myself, although seeing as I have no job to do anymore, I wouldn't suffer untold hardship if that were to happen to me, but I'd still find it inconvenient. There are some journeys I can't do by bike or public transport. So I'm still making damn sure I minimise my chances of getting on the 'naughty step'. Mainly by endeavouring to stick to speed limits, that is. Much more so than I used to in my youthful days....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:

I wonder if any tally is kept of the number of these applications which fail? The impression is it can't be many, although perhaps it's only the utterly cheeky ones which are reported by the media.

Perhaps the beak should have suggested he should get his batman to take him out in the Batmobile. :wink:

You may be onto something there.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:

Un-fortunately (?) there are many constabularies and jurisdictions, are statistics collected somewhere?
Magistrates are lay people who want to serve the community. Quite likely clever lawyers can run rings round them
Anyone here cycled on the Falklands?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cunobelin wrote:The idea of revoking licences are a myth

If you look at the figures, they are mind boggling with repeat offenders getting away with it ..... repeatedly

There are more than 10,000 drivers with more than 12 points, with the record holder (Feb 2017) having 62 points on their licence, and there are half a dozen over 50, and over 100 with more than 24 points

Even if you give allowances for the 12 point margin, these people have continued to offend, and have unequivocally proved that they are totally incapable of driving legally and safely

I understand that relatively few are over 18 points (c200 last year). The absolutely ridiculous ones are true outliers which steal headlines but probably tell us little tbh.