Hartside cafe

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
oldmanonabike

Hartside cafe

Post by oldmanonabike »

On the C2C route between Penrith and Alston the Hartside cafe has been burnt down
Last edited by oldmanonabike on 6 Mar 2018, 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Paulatic

Re: Hartside cafe

Post by Paulatic »

For the second time. :D
There’ll be a lot of bikers homeless this summer but a marvellous opportunity for a fast food van on a Sunday. I was never taken with it and last time I cycled past I did so without stopping. ...there’s a first!
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Arson or ''electrical fault '' :roll: :roll:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Guess it will depend on cause and how quickly they can re-build. I imagine any 'fast food van' would be run by the owners. Seems a shame, hardly a culinary 'experience' but good basics and always a friendly welcome.... they did an amazing job feeding everyone at the TOB stage finish a few years ago.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

always found it expensive.....I appreciate it was on top of the hill but they really milked the monopoly
Flite

Post by Flite »

Considering Hartside had been closed for over a week due to snow, I think electrical fault is more likely than arson.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did it have water/mains utilities?
Something similar happened in Malvern, the cafe on the Worcestershire Beacon burnt down. Rebuilding was not allowed!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The fire appliances had to follow the snow plough to get there

E2E info
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

What a shame, not the best but the location is perfect and the food substantial. The whole of the Pennine section of C2C route is still under serious snow.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

We stopped there for a cuppa/cake in Autumn 2016 on a wet and windy day.They didn't bat an eyelid at two cyclists dripping water all over their floor :mrgreen: I have stopped there numerous times over the years on the Motorbike and don't really get why some folk think it's expensive :?: The cake portions were huge!We actually wrapped half of ours to save for later on in the day!
Hopefully it will return 8)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

And it's not as if the building was attractive; a grotty, half baked cafe stuck in a car park, rather similar to an old fashioned truck stop
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

gbnz wrote:I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

And it's not as if the building was attractive; a grotty, half baked cafe stuck in a car park, rather similar to an old fashioned truck stop

-1!
Why did you stop, for a picnic? I think I might need a rest after the climb, even from Alston
Do like to read dissenting views :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

cyclemad wrote:Arson or ''electrical fault '' :roll: :roll:

If it was arson the arsonist must have had a snow plough. The fire was spotted by a gritter driver.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Amazingly gets 4 stars in tripadvisor https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... gland.html
I just read the terrible ratings made interesting reading. :D

E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
gbnz wrote:I've stopped in the car park on dozens of occasions since 2008 (Always on the bike). But to be honest, with decent shopping facilities just down the road in Penrith or a slighty more restricted choice in Alston, I've never felt a need to buy a scrap of food there.

-1!
Why did you stop, for a picnic? I think I might need a rest after the climb, even from Alstonk:

Well on the 110 mile ride between a walk in the Lakes and home, the blocks of stone on the edge of the car park always made a useful stopping point for a rest and quick bite (And with the attraction of the next twenty miles on a slight downhill gradient)