How much to get a fully kitted touring / commuting recumbent?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PDQ Mobile

Re: How much to get a fully kitted touring / commuting recumbent?

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Re Bar bag.
I mounted a klick fix to the back of the seat.
Handy for taking camera/valuables quickly with you.
Like Pete the only thing "wrong" is that you can't read a map whilst cycling along, unless you have an owl like neck!!
Though you can ( sort of) reach a camera whilst still seated!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.82 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

BTW have I thanked you lot for your input to this thread? As a potential newbie to recumbents you've given me a lot of advice and information. It's what makes forums great, the sharing of experience and knowledge to those needing it.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anyone know about aftermarket seats for older models of recumbents? I'm close to getting a streetmachine GT but the fixed seat isn't supplied by the manufacturer anymore. Hopefully I don't need one but in case I do I thought I'd ask on here. Also seat cushions too.

I've found novosport but they don't have the make and model referred to on their site.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Ring Kevin At DTek he will probably have some in stock,
NUKe

Post by pjclinch »

For seat cushions Ventisit will do them for various 'bents, and my SMGT (Medium seat) sports one after I forgot to take the original off when it was travelling on the outside of a small van (d'oh!). I reckon it's better than the HPVel offering.

I sourced it via Laidback in Edinburgh.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

NUKe wrote:Ring Kevin At DTek he will probably have some in stock,

Already been in touch with him. An amazing depth of knowledge on recumbents. Certainly my first stop should I need a new seat. He's been really helpful giving me advice on what to look at, where to look for indicators of crashes, etc. Basically hints at how to detect a dud. I'm expecting a good bike but planning on being prepared so I can detect expensive issues.

I'm hoping a new seat isn't needed because the person selling is just 3" shorter, still into size large seat user size I reckon. Just trying to be prepared.

In fact I'm hoping the recumbent I'm going to look at needs very little doing to it. Looks a good bike but I've only seen photos.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Got my recumbent now I need luggage. Rear rack is my ortlieb pannier bags. Just need something in front of them. Banana bags are very pricey. Anything similar but cheaper out there?

Lowrider rack with ortlieb panniers are difficult. Current model rack doesn't fit, can't get second hand rack. Aftermarket? There's a US company but lots of bucks to get something to cobble together into a serviceable rack. They really only make to us brand recumbents. They told me I might need to buy one rack then but the expensive part of a second rack (half the cost again) to make it fit. Each rack costs €160.

McClaren Hamster bags are no longer made so that cheap solution is out.

So, are there any suggestions for alternatives to radical designs banana bags?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Don't know of any alternatives to Radical apart from the ones they make for the different manufacturers . Also not sure if you could fit Banana bags and normal Panniers. banana bags, Have a word with Kevin at DTek he has second hand and seconds at reasonable prices. I bought a set recently.
other option is if you have the dual racks, is to fit front panniers under the seat.
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

Apparently the lowriders that originally come with the model fit full size panniers not just smaller front ones I think that's 80 litres capacity. Add an 8 litre bar bag on a traditional tourer you get a decent tour volume for kit with rack top as well for the tent. Say that's 100 litres.

Banana bags 70l
Panniers 40l
Total 110l.

I reckon that'll be enough even without rack top which with the slope of the seat isn't even big enough to take a standard rack top bag like the topeak ones.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I think you will find the 70l radical bags take up most of both racks. But another thing to think about if can load up with 110 litres is the Suspension.
NUKe

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Lowrider rack with ortlieb panniers are difficult. Current model rack doesn't fit, can't get second hand rack. Aftermarket?

Get in touch with Ben Cooper at Kinetics. He's an HPVel dealer and IIRC has his own SMGT and he builds custom frames so ought t able to cruft one together for you. His prices are, IME, fair.

Pete.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Only with the small banana bag is the rack free.
With the medium and big banana bags, the back 2 straps fit on the rack and only the front strap fits across the seat.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:No option for bar bags though. Four roll top panniers and tent on rack top. Nothing for things you need often, like wallet, camera, phone and in the NW England waterproofs. All things I put in a bar bag when touring

You can mount bar bags to the side of some bents - you can mount one either side of an ICE trike...
But with low riders/banana bags literally at your hands it's not needed. I can get my waterproof out, and put it on, whilst still moving.

Mounting stuff you want to see is different, not impossible - but depends on the vehicle.

Trouser pockets are an issue with recumbents as things fall out, so they need zips, or a "bum bag"

As for a bar bag..... it is called a "Fisherman's" or "Photographer's" vest / jacket/ gilet

Lots of cargo space and all accessible on the go
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

NUKe wrote:I think you will find the 70l radical bags take up most of both racks. But another thing to think about if can load up with 110 litres is the Suspension.

It's got the suspension for the heaviest riders. IIRC 120kg rider weight. I'm less than 90kg leaving 30kg. I toured with a rack that took 35kg maximum load last year but I'm pretty sure I never used the capacity even including the over 8 litres custom frame bag and 8 litres bar bag.

The suspension is adjustable, for both the rear shocks and the front forks. I don't know much about bike suspension, the only bike I had with suspension on had no adjustment only a lock off to make it rigid that didn't really work. I'm guessing it is adjustable for hardness of ride. If you're near the top loading weight for it you would set it with minimal travel, a hard ride. I really need to look into that.

It's supposed to be a good recumbent for cycle touring so I can't see how carrying a load equivalent to a touring bicycle load would be too much. I could be wrong though.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's supposed to be a good recumbent for cycle touring

Not only supposed to be, but is, and specifically loaded touring at that. That's my Thang, and the SMGT is my Weapon of Choice.

Pete.