My Unwanted Ebike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
BikeNet

My Unwanted Ebike

Post by BikeNet »

Hi everybody and Im a newb here, not new to cycling but new to E cycling...
So, having done many years on the MTB and road bike decided to have a pop at the Ebike scene. Had a few test rides and loved it, took the plunge and covered 30 miles on my KTM Macina Lycan 27.5 11 CX5+ and realised that its just not for me. Expensive lesson learned, but then hey ho - so before I list a for sale on this bike I just wanted to post here for two reasons. 1 Im new in this forum and this is the fist electric bike section I saw and 2 Im not actually sure if Im allowed to offer my bike for sale on here.
Please point me the right way, can I offer it for sale on here and where should I present it please?

Its immaculate, just 30 miles!
Cyril Haearn

Re: My Unwanted Ebike

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes you may offer it here under bikes for sale, give a good description and some pictures

You wrote that you loved riding an e-bike then soon realised it did not suit you :?
Please explain!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
BikeNet

Post by BikeNet »

Hi, well the first ride of any ebike is a fantastic experience and I defy anybody that would say its not a great feeling. The first few rides are an amazing feeling and I loved it I must admit. Though I still love to ride un-assisted and the bike I have is just not getting the use it deserves. I know I will come back to this, but I want to tick a few boxes off before I settle for the ebike completely.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe you should keep it awhile, you might regret selling it, you could always sell it later
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hemo

Post by hemo »

Problem with selling is it's a soiled used bike and like a new car you will lose a chunk of the value straight away.
I know of one case that someone found their bike unsuitable and after contacting the dealer, he only offered them 60% of it's value. Quite extreme in that case.
Used price will be dependent on the bikes age in moths or years to come to a good value.
3 figures need to be known to get a good value, bike age, bike cost new and new battery cost all to determine a figure.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

hemo wrote:....
I know of one case that someone found their bike unsuitable and after contacting the dealer, he only offered them 60% of it's value. Quite extreme in that case.....

But when they buy from an importer/distributor what price would they pay (given their mark-up of selling). And then we are talking about a new bike not a 2nd hand one. I can appreciate the 60% from a dealer.

Ian
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

20% of the value is VAT. So surely you would have to discount that before depreciation?
hemo

Post by hemo »

A new bike ridden 30 miles is a used 2nd hand bike no matter how you want to look at it.
Also some e-bike brands/manufacturers like Bosch will not transfer remaining warranty to a new owner so any future issues leave them very exposed. This needs to be checked before deciding to sell , a new owner may be able to buy a new dealer/manufacturer warranty which would need to be off set against the sale price.
Some good own brand e bike retailers will transfer warranty on their products or extend warranty once said bike ahs been inspected by them.
In all probability even a private sale it's value will a minimum of 25% less dependent on age of said bike not how many miles it has done.

As I previously mentioned I can give you a good estimate of it's value if the bike age in months/years is known and also the e-bike price when new and importantly the battery replacement value has a role in valuation. For price trending look on ebay for used sales of similar e-bikes.