Where are all the mountain bikers?

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
KTHSullivan

Re: Where are all the mountain bikers?

Post by KTHSullivan »

Rampton!!
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Or Here
Attachments
Mountain Bikers.jpg
Mountain Bikers.jpg
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

MikeDee wrote:
With the weather you get in the UK, maybe mountain biking is not that popular with riding through the mud and slop all the time? Just a guess on my part because I live in a dry climate.

My self and my regular riding pal are out three nights a week, and usually manage to squeeze in a weekend day time ride as well.

My annual off road mileage is now close to 4,000 miles a year, which isn't bad for just a hobby. Admittedly though, I am a pretty spoilt as I have a choice of analogue and electric mtb to ride. I'm also an ambassador for KTM, and write the occasional review for other brands.

I would contribute further to both the electric bike section, and to this section of the forum, but don't agree with the way that that Cycling UK forum admin, turn a blatant blind eye to current UK pedelec law, and condone the use of ebikes which breach it. I see that as a shame, as I could contribute significantly in respect of eMTB's but do not want the association.

In respect of analogue mtb's have recently sold my KTM Ultra 1964, which has stood up to UK and Swiss mountain riding conditions very well, and instead, picked up a bargain priced last years model Giant XCT Advanced Plus 1. This bike is quite phenomenal to ride, and has me grinning with every ride. eMTB's are great, but give no where near the sense of achievement, or fun that a quality mtb gives.

The current rides.

Yet another Giant, but this time an eMTB that I have just finished reviewing.

EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Taking the long way home from the pub tonight.
Username

Post by Username »

hamster wrote:Same here - 1996 Orange P7 and a Kona Kaboom singlespeed I ride most of the time.

MTBing has repeatedly split into more and more silly niches, probably most people on here are riding their local forests and bridleways, for which a 20 year old bike is perfect. However most MTBs these days are total overkill for most trails ridden at the speed of ordinary riders. As such they are rather dull to ride in my experience. I sold my full susser, while it was phenomenally competent it took out most of the fun as you didn't have to pick a line, but could just stomp over anything..

WTH? That is really bizarre logic. You might as well have said; "I dumped my girlfriend. While she was phenomenal in bed her boobs were just too big which isn't nice as they are too distracting".
hamster

Post by hamster »

A full susser is overkill for my area, no finesse is needed, you don't have to pick a line. It soaks up everything and in the end it's dull. And finally it's a pig uphill.

My rigid singlespeed is unforgiving, you have to nail lines - speed once lost is hard to recover. As a result you are more involved, it's more challenging and committing. It also only weighs 9kgs. What is surprising is that on most stuff it is not as much slower than people think.
If I lived in the Peak District my choice would doubtless be different.

I used to own a 205 GTi - it's completely outclassed in all respects by my diesel estate car which is faster, quieter, handles better and uses less fuel. But the 205 is more fun.
Si

Post by Si »

One of the main reasons for mtbing isto test yourself agains tthe terrain...take on the lumps and bumps. If you ride a bike that smooths out all the lumps and bumps then you may as well just ride your road bike around the car park.

For me, big suspension bikes are for when you hsve big lumps and bumps to take on, not to completely neutralise the ride..
Paul20v

Post by Paul20v »

Hi
Im a long term mountain bikers (over 30yrs now) new here thou
I also have an ebike (hardtail) and a fat bike normally aspirated :)
Ive had a lot of full suspension bikes made of various materials but you cant beat a hardtail
So for me at least mountain biking is my only biking all thou i do ride them on road as well as transportation
I like trail centres but im a big fan off off route riding and making my own tracks so to speak :D
Paul20v

Post by Paul20v »

EddieJ wrote:I'm also an ambassador for KTM

Hi
How are you

I just noticed the fogo how are you finding it ?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Erm cos it's a CTC forum?
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

nateboussad wrote:Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb10.htm . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

'Cycling UK forum'.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nateboussad wrote:Bicycles should not be allowed in any natural area. They are inanimate objects and have no rights. There is also no right to mountain bike. That was settled in federal court in 1996: http://mjvande.nfshost.com/mtb10.htm . It's dishonest of mountain bikers to say that they don't have access to trails closed to bikes. They have EXACTLY the same access as everyone else -- ON FOOT! Why isn't that good enough for mountain bikers? They are all capable of walking....

??????? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:

??????? :?

This seems a generally attractive sentiment. Myself, I like the idea of rewilding which would, in my version, include expulsion of all humans and their gubbins from the wild areas, since we are in such a bad state of unnaturalness (us with our memetic infestations) that we would only pollute the wild, as we do now ... everywhere.

As to MTB riders .... every good tourist knows they are the devil's spawn who ought to be strapped to a TT bike until they come to their senses, which can be detected when they buy their first Dawes Galaxy and begin polishing it.

Cugel, trying out "mad bloke" mode.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
hamster

Post by hamster »

Cugel: you omitted Carradice saddlebags and screw-on freewheels, both of course are mandatory in CTC circles. :wink:
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

EddieJ wrote:
Admittedly though, I am a pretty spoilt as I have a choice of analogue and electric mtb to ride.

Paul120V wrote:
I also have an ebike (hardtail) and a fat bike normally aspirated.

A bit too erudite for me!

Mike