Renovating bike - advice needed

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
AMMoffat

Renovating bike - advice needed

Post by AMMoffat »

I'm renovating my early 1990s Raleigh Royal touring bike and would welcome some advice on gearing. Currently it is 3 x 7 with a Shimano 12-28 7-speed cassette and a 24-36-46 Shimano SG chainset. I intend to upgrade it to 9 speed (11-34), as the gearing is no longer low enough, and bar-ends as opposed to the current downtube levers. The current system is indexed at the back but not the front and I am happy to keep it that way especially if I can avoid having to acquire a new front mechanism. It will also be getting a re-spray.

New bits I'm expecting to need are a rear hub (or wheel) and derailleur, plus re-spacing the rear drop-outs. I also have the following questions:

1. Will the existing chainset and rings be suitable for use with a 9-speed chain/system as I was hoping to avoid having to replace the chainset and front mech?

2. What should I get the rear drop-outs (currently 126mm) re-spaced to?

3. Any recommendations on which hub, derailleur and bar end levers to get (I was thinking Shimano XTM772 Shadow mech and Shimano Dura Ace 7700 bar end shifters)?

4. Have I missed anythingf?
speedsixdave

Re: Renovating bike - gearing advice needed

Post by speedsixdave »

I have a 1987 Raleigh Randonneur, probably much the same frame as yours in 531st. Mine is also running 9 speed, with a 12-32 cassette on Ultegra hubs so 130mm spacing. The frame will spring naturally to accommodate 130 hubs without much effort at all so this is the easiest route.

135 would allow you to use mountain bike hubs with their hopefully better sealing, and these will build into a stronger wheel with less dish. This is probably worth doing if you're intending to use the bike as a proper loaded tourer. Your choice!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
531colin

Re: Renovating bike - advice needed

Post by 531colin »

Chainset/F. mech will almost certainly be OK.
My experience of 9 speed was that it wasn't as good as I hoped.....there was a horrible jump between 2 sprockets, right where I wanted a small difference. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54328&hilit=nightmare&start=30
Most of my bikes are still 8 speed, with altered cassettes, as in that thread. (slap a 34T on the back, discard the top 2 sprockets, fit a 12T top)
I use 8 speed chains on the one 9 speed bike, its perfectly OK with friction left shift (I've no idea about indexed left shift)
10 speed "Mountain" R. mechs. wont index with 9 speed road levers, but 9 speed mountain R. mechs will.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

1. the FD will be fine, and if somewhat used (rather than brand new) the chainset will probably be OK with a 9s chain. If there is a problem, it'll be a reluctance to downshift onto the small ring from the middle.

2. For 9s it would be best if you respace to 135mm and buy a suitable hub ( such as LX FH-T670)

3. 7700 bar end levers and RD-M772 will work OK, but you will need to add a barrel adjuster somewhere in the cable run, eg on the 'ergo boss' that you will fit onto the DT bosses.

4. you could save a few quid by throwing the 11s sprocket from an 11-34 cassette into the bin, and fitting the remaining 8 sprockets to a 7s freehub. You will have a 3x8 system with 9s spacing and with the low gears that you want.

There are many possible combinations using a custom cassette BTW; with 9s probably you would be better off with another sprocket in the middle somewhere rather than an 11T sprocket fitted.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Brucey wrote:4. you could save a few quid by throwing the 11s sprocket from an 11-34 cassette into the bin, and fitting the remaining 8 sprockets to a 7s freehub. You will have a 3x8 system with 9s spacing and with the low gears that you want.

There are many possible combinations using a custom cassette BTW; with 9s probably you would be better off with another sprocket in the middle somewhere rather than an 11T sprocket fitted.

cheers

Brucey, if I do what you suggest at 4 do I avoid having to respace the dropouts?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AMMoffat wrote:Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Brucey wrote:4. you could save a few quid by throwing the 11s sprocket from an 11-34 cassette into the bin, and fitting the remaining 8 sprockets to a 7s freehub. You will have a 3x8 system with 9s spacing and with the low gears that you want.

cheers

Brucey, if I do what you suggest at 4 do I avoid having to respace the dropouts?

pretty much, yes. 7s hubs are 126mm spaced (road) or 130mm or 135mm spaced (MTB). Obviously the latter builds into a stronger wheel.

You can always respace the dropouts at some later date if you deem it necessary.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

Thank you to all who provided advice on the renovation of my 1992 Raleigh Royal. I eventually went for having the rear dropouts respaced to 135mm. So, re-built rear wheel using the original rim and new hub, new 9 speed derailleur and 11-34 cassette and conversion from down-tube to bar end levers. The original front derailleur and 46-36-24 chainset work fine with this set-up. I indulged myself with new mudguards (with red sripes) to match the paint job (not strictly necessary).

This is the finished beast with apologies to any purists for not retaining the original black:

Image20180418_135251 by Angela Moffat, on Flickr

Paint job and rear drop-out re-spacing done by Dave Yates who has done a fantastic job.

Good for another 26 years :D
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Looks great!
freiston

Post by freiston »

LollyKat wrote:Looks great!
+1

Is that a quill to A-head stem adapter?

Are you close to Dave Yates? I'm from south Lincolnshire originally - have to admit that I hate cycling on the flat fens.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

freiston wrote:

Are you close to Dave Yates? I'm from south Lincolnshire originally - have to admit that I hate cycling on the flat fens.

It is indeed such an adapter, added a few years ago so I could get the bars higher and reduce the reach.

I'm in Peterborough so close enough to Dave Yates to take the bike to him. This is the 2nd frame he's re-sprayed for me. Fortunately you can go west from Peterborough to avoid the fens which I also dislike. Must be something to do with spending my 1st 23 years in Aberdeen.
freiston

Post by freiston »

AMMoffat wrote:
freiston wrote:

It is indeed such an adapter, added a few years ago so I could get the bars higher and reduce the reach.

I'm in Peterborough so close enough to Dave Yates to take the bike to him. This is the 2nd frame he's re-sprayed for me. Fortunately you can go west from Peterborough to avoid the fens which I also dislike. Must be something to do with spending my 1st 23 years in Aberdeen.

thanks for the reply :D . Re. the dislike, I reckon it's just the fens, having spent my first 20 years in Boston. I don't recall anyone ever saying they like the fens for cycling ;)
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Very nice!