Barrel adjuster XT rear mech

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
whoof

Barrel adjuster XT rear mech

Post by whoof »

I've bought a second-hand bike and the rear mech barrel cable adjuster is missing. The mech is a Deore XT RDM771. I've tried the adjuster from a 9 speed Deore mech but the thread is different.

Does anyone know where I can get an adjuster that might fit? I've seen one for a XT RD M760 at SJS Cycles but am unsure if it will fit.
robgul

Re: Barrel adjuster XT rear mech

Post by robgul »

Are you sure that the threads are different and that the missing mech's thread isn't just worn or stripped? I had to re-tap the thread on a Deore mech the other day.

To source - go to the LBS as they'll doubtless have all sorts of old worn out mechs that might be robbed.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the reason the barrel adjuster is 'missing' is because there isn't one fitted to this model.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-RD-M771-2706.pdf

Nor is the mech tapped to accept one. I suggest that you fit one inline somewhere, or use a barrel adjuster with a rubber wedge on it that is designed to fit into a cable stop; Bontrager make such things.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
whoof

Post by whoof »

Brucey wrote:the reason the barrel adjuster is 'missing' is because there isn't one fitted to this model.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-RD-M771-2706.pdf

Nor is the mech tapped to accept one. I suggest that you fit one inline somewhere, or use a barrel adjuster with a rubber wedge on it that is designed to fit into a cable stop; Bontrager make such things.

cheers

Thanks Brucey that would explain it! I'd already bought a couple of different inline adjusters in case I couldn't a replacement for the (nonexistent) rear mech one.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I imagine they stopped having adjusters on the rear mechs because they were a bit vulnerable to damage, but it is a pain for those of us who never broke them. I managed to fit an inline adjuster (possibly modified, I can't remember) into the recess on the mech, and got it to work. It sticks out a bit but I've not had any issues with it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:I imagine they stopped having adjusters on the rear mechs because they were a bit vulnerable to damage, but it is a pain for those of us who never broke them. I managed to fit an inline adjuster (possibly modified, I can't remember) into the recess on the mech, and got it to work. It sticks out a bit but I've not had any issues with it.

MTB type derailleurs are designed to be used with flat bar gear levers which usually incorporate a cable adjuster. No point in having one at both ends is probably the thinking.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote:
pwa wrote:I imagine they stopped having adjusters on the rear mechs because they were a bit vulnerable to damage, but it is a pain for those of us who never broke them. I managed to fit an inline adjuster (possibly modified, I can't remember) into the recess on the mech, and got it to work. It sticks out a bit but I've not had any issues with it.

MTB type derailleurs are designed to be used with flat bar gear levers which usually incorporate a cable adjuster. No point in having one at both ends is probably the thinking.

Yes. I suppose my problem is that I put components with other components Shimano didn't expect me to. I also have the down tube adjusters, but I prefer to have two adjusters in there. I bet I could make do with one if I spent more time getting the tension perfect on initial installation.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I use Jagwire minis. They work okay.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

One good thig to do, is to lubricate the threads while fitting those adjusters. After a while they seize up, thus becoming a "cable stops" rathen than "adjusters"
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

whoof wrote:I've bought a second-hand bike and the rear mech barrel cable adjuster is missing. The mech is a Deore XT RDM771. I've tried the adjuster from a 9 speed Deore mech but the thread is different.

Does anyone know where I can get an adjuster that might fit? I've seen one for a XT RD M760 at SJS Cycles but am unsure if it will fit.

Get these.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-tk684-all ... -grappler/

I bought a pair in Red, but only needed one so I have a spare.
This is mine on the Moulton with an XT rear mech.
IMG_0356.JPG
Yes, that's correct.
10sp cassette with a SA 3sp.
Mick F. Cornwall
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".