Yet another noob looking for a hybrid..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
abzmanc

Yet another noob looking for a hybrid..

Post by abzmanc »

Apologies for probably the millionth thread on subject, I will try and be more specific if possible.

So have decided to purchase a hybrid for work commute approx 5 miles each way, mostly canalside/towpath with some road and cobbles to tackle also.

My budget is 550 tops but preferably less.. will be making some savings by using the cycle to work scheme.

My choices are to get from Halfords and/or a select few local Independent stores and also Cycle Surgery and online via Tredz.

A colleague has warned me off Halfords, what are the general opinions of the brand's they stock?

I have identified a few potential bikes listed below (not a detailed investigation)and looking to get general opinions. Although the bikes appear to fit the bill I don't have a scooby doo about the quality of the components or general brand quality.

I'm also not sure if need the front suspension of not.. I know some bikes can lock for when not required, but it feels like it could help over some dodgy roads and the cobbles.. how much extra energy would I really be wasting by having it? I held the two specialized bikes side by side and whilst there was a weight difference it didn't feel massively significant..

Got loads more questions on accessories eg child seat and luggage racks but will try searching first!

Specialized Sirrus Alloy Disc
https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m23b0 ... -Disc-2018

Specialized CrossTrail mechanical https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m23b0 ... -Disc-2018

Trek FX 2 https://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m23b0 ... -Disc-2018

Boardman MX Sport Bike
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Voodoo agwe
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Claud Butler exp 3.0
https://www.evanscycles.com/claud-butle ... e-EV331635

Also noticed that hydraulic brake models are approx 100 more.. is it REALLY worth the extra for a newbie??

Finally.. buying from a shop some build and adjust based on my size eg the handle bars.. how crucial is this? Can I do it myself? I only ask as we can also purchase from Tredz but they are online only.

Thanksfor reading and opinions, advice and guidance will be much appreciated!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Mi A1 using hovercraft full of eels.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Yet another noob looking for a hybrid..

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The only one of those I can comment on from personal experience is the Boardman MX. It’s very good value for money, and pretty robust, with good components. I would say that hydraulic brakes are worth the extra, but only if you use the bike a lot, as Hydraulics are much less of a faff, and don’t need so much adjustment as cable discs.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My recommendation is to go ride some bikes. The most important thing is that you are comfortable.

Make sure when considering the price that you include lights, mudguards, and rack. They are necessary for commuting.

If you are going to service it yourself, it won't matter where you buy it.

If you are not going to service it yourself, you need to pick a helpful local bike shop, as well as a bike. The bike obviously doesn't have to come from the bike shop that services it, however
-many bike shops offer free or discounted first service
-bike shopping can be a useful way to sort out what shops in the area are useful and have competent staff

Anyway, test rides are fun 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Cheap suspension is unlikely to work all that well and is another thing to maintain (apart from the weight). I wouldn’t bother.

The boss has the ladies version of the Sirrus and it’s fine (though she had v-brakes rather than discs). Discs possibly better in the wet and don’t wear your rims out but IMHO hydraulic maintenance is a job for the man in the shop...

Halfords can be a bit hit & miss depending on the enthusiasm of the manager for bikes. Where are you and someone will recommend you a bike shop?
abzmanc

Post by abzmanc »

Cheers for the tips so far guys! I'm in Manchester. Although my scheme doesn't work with Evans I have one nearby so may try and get a test ride or two there.

Was looking at Halfords as it's a convinient location for me to go and they have a reasonable selection of stuff just have not got an idea on the quality!
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

abzmanc wrote:Cheers for the tips so far guys! I'm in Manchester. Although my scheme doesn't work with Evans I have one nearby so may try and get a test ride or two there.

Was looking at Halfords as it's a convinient location for me to go and they have a reasonable selection of stuff just have not got an idea on the quality!

Personally speaking, I’ve never had an issue with the quality of the Boardman bikes, I’ve had from Halfords. The suspension fork on the MX is actually not too bad at all. As long as the bike has been set up by someone who’s at least reasonably competent, there shouldn’t be any issues. They do give you a free ‘post shakedown’ check and adjust, if anything is amiss.
ratherbeintobago

abzmanc wrote:Cheers for the tips so far guys! I'm in Manchester.

Manchester is a big city...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

I think it's a narrow enough geographic area for other forum members to offer advice about bike shops. There's no need for the OP to give us more detail, if they don't want to.

On the other hand, it could be that the OP will get more useful information, if they could say south or north, centre, Stockport or Prestwich, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
abzmanc

Post by abzmanc »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

Stretford with connections to Salford and I also work in the city centre. Have visited a couple of indys, one in town and one local.. both seemed nice and knowledgabke enough..

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Mi A1 using hovercraft full of eels.
ratherbeintobago

Vorpal wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:

I think it's a narrow enough geographic area for other forum members to offer advice about bike shops. There's no need for the OP to give us more detail, if they don't want to.

On the other hand, it could be that the OP will get more useful information, if they could say south or north, centre, Stockport or Prestwich, etc.

Aye, that’s what I was driving at. I am (technically) in Manchester but it’s no good me saying Cycle Addicts, Cooksons or Leisure Lakes if he’s not in Bury/Rochdale.
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

I'd like to give Cooksons( a small Indy bike shop) a mention on here.
I've been using them a few years now and always found them friendly,helpful and knowledgeable.
As with many (but not all)retail outlets as they expand their customer service seems to slowly worsen.
ratherbeintobago

On the subject of cycling in Manchester, these maps might be of interest.

As with many (but not all)retail outlets as they expand their customer service seems to slowly worsen.

Cooksons?
abzmanc

Post by abzmanc »

ratherbeintobago wrote:On the subject of cycling in Manchester, these maps might be of interest

Cheers for that, Bridgewater is my route of choice!

Experienced it twice with a Mobike.. one of which had a dodgy seat which wouldn't stay up... [emoji21]
abzmanc

Post by abzmanc »

I went to Cycle Republic at lunchtime and despite its links to Halfords they were decent. I saw the Voodoo Marasa and was quite impressed for the price. Certainly felt lighter than the Specialized and a quick Google showed that it's a well rated budget bike.
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

ratherbeintobago wrote:On the subject of cycling in Manchester, these maps might be of interest.

Cooksons?

Thanks for the link..some good rides there.