What do you love to hate?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What do you love to hate? e.g radio 4 ..

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do LOVE the bbc pronunciation unit, I wonder what it would be like to work there (just heard an announcer pronounce a Welsh name correctly)

Got to introduce 'hate' too, the German radio does not have a p. u., the announcers pronounce 'Reagan' wrongly :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BBC pronunciation unit eh?
I wish they'd make their mind up.

There was a programme some years ago about the committee and they used the word "controversy" as an example.
They finally decreed that it would from henceforth be CON_TROV_ERCY.

Now?
They all seem to pronounce it CONTRO_VERCY.
I'm not saying one is correct and the other not. I just want consistency.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I was thinking of place names and Welsh
The Germans cannae say 'Salisbury' right

How does one pronounce' Gunnislake'? (never been there but the train journey looks interesting)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only chatting to some folk newly arrived in the village about this ............ over a few pints in the Rising Sun last evening. :D

Gunnislake tends to be by non locals pronounced straightforward as it is - GUNN_IZ_LAKE in three distinct separate syllables.

The locals (and even me now since we've been here 30odd years) pronounce it GUNNIZ_LAKE with the LAKE bit being a long LAAAAAK in a Cornish accent and stressed with the GUNNIZ bit said quickly.

Gunnis-LAAAAKE.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Telethons like Sport Relief, Red Nose Day and Children in Need and cycling to raise money as if it was some sort of pennance. My attitude, help the disadvantaged by actually doing something for them on a continuous basis, donate what you can to whom you consider most deserving and those charities that help your family members and friends.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:Telethons like Sport Relief, Red Nose Day and Children in Need and cycling to raise money as if it was some sort of pennance. My attitude, help the disadvantaged by actually doing something for them on a continuous basis, donate what you can to whom you consider most deserving and those charities that help your family members and friends.

Al

Comic Relief, which surely should be funny but isn't, does my head in. BBC1 goes AWOL for an evening while a handful of not-very-funny sketches are interspersed with people sat in baths of rice pudding and reminders of the numbers to text in your donations. Perhaps some of us could be sponsored to watch all of Comic Relief night as a more arduous alternative to running the London Marathon. I love good comedy and I like giving to good causes, but Comic Relief is a dire bit of TV.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Comic Relief makes people doing good very famous

€€€!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Comic Relief makes people doing good very famous

€€€!

I've not seen many actual charity workers on there, never mind their becoming famous as a result. I've seen some celebs doing stuff and asking for money.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The Archers. will that tale of country folk ever end? has Phil Archer been reincarnated yet? That the imperial & ignorant BBC keep on pronouncing my home town of Lowestoft wrong it aint Low-est-toft but like Lowe's-toft, 2 sylables.
Last edited by mercalia on 24 Mar 2018, 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Partial food orders in the pub!

Person gets to the bar in Pub with friend , gives table number and orders one meal...

Says to the friend what does Ethel want to eat?

Friend returns to table and gets Ethel's order

Is that with Chips?

Friend returns to table and finds that Ethel wants chips

Then asks what John wants, Jim wants, Anne wants, Jarvis wants and does the same for all 8 in the party, each requiring at least one walk across the pub to ask.

Then having watched this farce for 15 minutes, the barman asks... Do you want drinks?

Says to the friend what does Ethel want to drink?

Friend returns to table and gets Ethel's drink order...

Then asks what John wants, Jim wants, Anne wants, Jarvis wants and repeats the same for all 8 in the party,

One order that could have been written on a piece of paper and taken a couple of minutes has blocked service for 20!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:The Archers. will that tale of country folk ever end? has Phil Archer been reincarnated yet? That the imperial & ignorant BBC keep on pronouncing my home town of Lowestoft wrong it aint Low-est-toft but like Lowe's-toft, 2 sylables.

I have a mole at the bbc:
The Archers is just not real any more, a 'community' where people meet in the pub and talk to each other
The plan is to relocate the denizens of Ambridge to London :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mercalia wrote:The Archers. will that tale of country folk ever end? has Phil Archer been reincarnated yet? That the imperial & ignorant BBC keep on pronouncing my home town of Lowestoft wrong it aint Low-est-toft but like Lowe's-toft, 2 sylables.

I have a mole at the bbc:
The Archers is just not real any more, a 'community' where people meet in the pub and talk to each other
The plan is to relocate the denizens of Ambridge to London :wink:
at a city farm? eg

https://vauxhallcityfarm.org/

isnt that already called East Enders? The last one I saw was Dirty Den was it being donein and vanishing?
Who on earth wants to follow the lives of nobodies like that? I suppose Dec will appear there now? or Maybe Ant as the local drunk? Or maybe Coronation St. Have Ant date Elsie Tanner or Enna Sharples or Minni Caldwell( well I havent watched that programm since my mum died ), he can take over running the Rover Returns, is it?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Radio 5 in the night
There are hours to fill, some items are endlessly spun out but I just heard the presenter just say how great soandso's music was
He was talking with the music as background :(
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love to hate my smartphone, I spend too much time on it when I should be reading books or talking to people. Fortunately the battery runs down eventually

Mind, I am not so obsessive yet, I always leave it at home when I go out, do others do likewise? (I do take my mobile phone when I go out, mind)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I love to hate my smartphone, I spend too much time on it when I should be reading books or talking to people. Fortunately the battery runs down eventually

Mind, I am not so obsessive yet, I always leave it at home when I go out, do others do likewise? (I do take my mobile phone when I go out, mind)

Rampant consumerism is evident here - or are they one and the same? :lol: