Best disposable gloves?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LittleGreyCat

Best disposable gloves?

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I've just been cleaning up various bits of the drive train with citrus degreaser and lubing up with bicycle oil.

I started out to give the chain a quick clean, using my trusty chain cleaner gizmo, and the chain fell apart. Well, it looks as though there was a link with one side broken but the chain was so crudded up that it was unable to fall apart. Until I cleaned it. :oops:

Anyway, cue a new chain.
In turn this meant the derailleur jockey wheels, the front and rear cogs all needed cleaning.
Tried to remember when I last did this but couldn't. The level of crud suggests way too long ago.

Anyway, back to topic.
I am trying to protect my hands with some disposable gloves, blue vinyl.
They are dissolving in the citrus degreaser and/or the light oil.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a type and source of disposable gloves suitable for bike fettling?
Searching t'Internet suggest that nitrile might be a good choice.
Are disposable gloves the way to go or are there more durable options?
Roadster

Re: Best disposable gloves?

Post by Roadster »

Nitrile disposable gloves are widely available (e.g. on eBay) for around £6.50 for a box of 100.
All will resist common solvents and there's not much point in paying more for reusable ones.
I always carry some in my toolkit for keeping my hands clean during roadside repairs.
Last edited by Roadster on 24 Mar 2018, 5:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Yeah. For various unpleasant reasons we have several left-over boxes of medical-standard disposables round the house. Might as well use tissue paper for bike-fettling.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Most medical grade gloves are nitrile these days, due to the threat from AIDS and nerve agents like Novichok... :shock:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Roadster wrote:Nitrile disposable gloves are widely available (e.g. on eBay) for around £6.50 for a box of 100.
All will resist common solvents and there's not much point in paying more for reusable ones.
I always carry some in my toolkit for keeping my hands clean during roadside repairs.

+1 - well when I actually remember to use them!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The Mrs gets mine from work for nothing, got 6 boxes. The park tool are supposed to be 5 star but the price is 5 star as well!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Try those free ones available at the petrol pump in most garages - especially supermarket ones. You could wear more than one pair to provide extra protection. Also comes in handy when it's raining to keep your gloves dryish. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

We use green nitrile gloves for work on trains, planes and automobiles.
Buy them from your local PPE supplier as they will be so much cheaper than on line ... Counter - intuitive, but my experience.
Medical / Silicone "doctors" gloves are as much use as tits on a fish ...... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:We use green nitrile gloves for work on trains, planes and automobiles.
Buy them from your local PPE supplier as they will be so much cheaper than on line ... Counter - intuitive, but my experience.
Medical / Silicone "doctors" gloves are as much use as tits on a fish ...... :lol:

I prefer playing golf to driving a golf
TIGER Woods?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
willcee

Post by willcee »

I would totally disagree with those here who diss the medical ones that most hospital trusts use.. my other half was disabled after a brain anneurism operation some 20 years ago, losing all use of left arm,and support use only of left leg , mentally as sharp as a razor, she has a worker each morning who shower and dress her, the Trust mandate the use of gloves so I am left with at least 7 pairs each week, the only thing they are used for is rubbing a skin cream on her back.. washed and dried on a rad, they are my source and are used frequently some days more than 3 hours without a rip or a finger poking through.. the blue ones are my favourite, a creamy ones less so but neither type like parafin, diesel or thinner, stuff I don't use a lot of .. preferring white spirit.. There are ones used in Body shops and in the motor trade which allow use with these liquids, but coming from that background the orange ones that my guys use are inferior having had a box given to me at trade I wouldn't buy another@10 per..the quality isn't really much better.. will
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
These, got to be nitrile, they are woven with just palms coated, so you hands don't sweat.
Obviously you can't immerse your hands in fluid.
Size 9 for me with a 90 mm wide palm & just over 9 " hand span.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-PAIRS-OF- ... Od6uocaZkg
12 off is about £7 and 24 about £11.
They are 40 grams a pair so no excuse for carrying on your bike, ideal for puncture repairs and chain work.
They can last a day or a week depending how much work you do, just remember to wipe your hands with rag so you don't spread all that grease around your bike on to bars etc!
A clean piece of rag to wipe your gloves in one pocket and a dirty bit for bike in other pocket (overalls / work clothes).
Ideal for painting etc, as they are light so good down to about m5 screws and nuts, below that you cant feel very well so liable to drop stuff, too light for heavy gardening.

How I ever did a mechanics job without gloves I will never know..........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I've been using blue powder free gloves for my tinkering at home for years and was running low so went onto Ebay and just look for medium powder free and bought those of the best value and ended up with GL8902 gloves which upon receipt I found to be thicker than the gloves I already had so make a point of only buying GL8902 gloves now.
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

I get purple nitrile for using for work (own business) from PPE suppliers.

They seem to be less allergenic and react less to sweat than the blue nitrile, and have textures finger pads to help grip.

TPo
AndyA

Post by AndyA »

Current workshop favourite is Ansell Touch n Tuff 92-500. Thicker than normal, I think they're the only gloves I've used that will survive a full days spannering. They don't fit as well as lighter gloves and are 2x the price of "Bodyguards" etc (but much much cheaper than those ones on CRC!)