Introductions - tell us about yourself

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bowlander

Re: Introductions - tell us about yourself

Post by Bowlander »

Live and work in the Forest of Bowland.

Bikes: Kinesis Racelight and Fuji Thrill MTB.

Just getting into cycling after a 25 year break. Was given the Kinesis by a friend clearing their house - it's in good condition but it's way too small for me (50cm frame and I'm 5'11"). Thinking of frame swap or new bike soon.Image

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-A500FU using hovercraft full of eels.
BikeNet

Post by BikeNet »

Hi everybody, im based in Kent Im 45 years old and cycled MTB and road bikes for a few (quite a few) years now. I also like running and other outdoor activities. Anyway, I have the following collection at my disposal:
CUBE Analog MTB
KTM Revelator SKY Disc Di2
KTM Canic CXA
KTM Lycan 27.5 11 CX5+

So these are my bikes, any questions please fire em across.
Smiler

Post by Smiler »

Hello,
Mike from Co Durham here. Regular commuter to work, 21mile round trip, on my Scott Hybrid.

My challenge for the year is to cycle the Isle of Man TT course, outside of the TT period, and get fitter.

Gan canny,

Mike
john_unofficial

Post by john_unofficial »

Hello All
I'm John aged 46, I'm a total fraud as I don't own a bike, I'm planning on buying a road bike under my employers cycle to work scheme. I can't afford gold wheels and I'm looking at spending only £400 on a bike, £500 with extras, I've taken a look at what's on offer at Halfords, however I'm open to suggestions via independents outlets. I do understand my planned spend isn't considered serious gear, I've got to start somewhere.
I need to exercise to help control type1 diabetes and after 20 year of running my knees are knocking and I'm not a swimmer so I guess triathlons are out :wink:
I'll have a look round here
mjr

Post by mjr »

john_unofficial wrote:Hello All
I'm John aged 46, I'm a total fraud as I don't own a bike, I'm planning on buying a road bike under my employers cycle to work scheme. I can't afford gold wheels and I'm looking at spending only £400 on a bike, £500 with extras, I've taken a look at what's on offer at Halfords, however I'm open to suggestions via independents outlets. I do understand my planned spend isn't considered serious gear, I've got to start somewhere.

Seems serious enough. Most of the bikes in our shed cost less than that, but none were bought from 'frauds.

Please ask in a new post in one of the other forums, especially with a rough idea of where you are. Someone may know good bikes nearby.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

john_unofficial wrote:Hello All
I need to exercise to help control type1 diabetes and after 20 year of running my knees are knocking and I'm not a swimmer so I guess triathlons are out :wink:
I'll have a look round here

This forum is a broad church, plenty of us including me spend less than that on a machine
Some do a lot of shedgineering and have TooManyBikes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
elie.w

PM's for newbies...

Post by elie.w »

Hi everyone! Just joined this forum to share my thoughts and learn more about cycling!
I've just started biking properly, through routes and on holidays so any tip is welcome :D
roastedbeetroot

Post by roastedbeetroot »

Hi all. I did a tour of some Scottish islands last summer on my old but cute Raleigh bike. Would like to upgrade to something with more than 7 gears soon.
ParkFool

Post by ParkFool »

Hey there everyone! :D I've finally bit the bullet and joined up, I have been stalking these pages for help quite a time so figured it was about time I joined in and give my penny.
I live in Manchester but am currently down in Wales for some Mtb events, can't wait to get started !! Currently riding a specialized enduro comp and absolutely loving it.

Currently wondering whether I need to get one of those insane electric mtbs i've been hearing about, does anyone own one here?

Also if anyone is interested in doing cycling quizzes try this one http://quizegg.com/q/161044 it's blooming addictive and I keep failing it with a score of 66% :oops: (use random details to make an account)

I'm very fond of quizzes, crosswords, puzzles and general knowledge tests. I even applied to go on The Chase once :)
(spoiler: it didn't happen.) :(
mjr

Post by mjr »

Welcome.

ParkFool wrote:Also if anyone is interested in doing cycling quizzes try this one http://quizegg.com/q/161044 it's blooming addictive and I keep failing it with a score of 66% :oops: (use random details to make an account)

I saw that elsewhere. It's so wrong that anyone getting more than 70% probably needs remedial training!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Morning all!

Names Jim, live on the West Coast of Scotland.

I'm an engineer in the Navy. Currently own a 2008 Cove Stiffee hardtail with lots of bling, and I've just bought a Giant Contend for my daily commute of 15 miles round trip. Spent the last four years on a Carrera TdF and figured it was time to upgrade!

Generally its MTB for fun and road bike for commuting with the occasional ride out thrown in. My 12 year old also rides MTB with me, on a Giant Talon.

I also like running, play squash, motorbikes, and rum.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Slartibartfast wrote:Morning all!

Names Jim, live on the West Coast of Scotland.

Welcome. Nice user name. I live on a fjord.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
scottietaylor

Post by scottietaylor »

Real Name - Scott

Cycling: Ex British Cycling member and just moved over to Cycling UK/CTC for the first time given my beardie tendencies and being drawn to Audax rather than that racing mullarkey these days.

Bikes -
Look 695/Sram Red
Cannondale Supersix/Tiagra
Raleigh Criterium Sport/Tiagra
Tifosi Forcella touring/adventure type bike/Sora
1980's Raleigh 653/Campag Record (Currently in process of very very slow restoration!)

Biggest ride 0f 2018 so far - St Andrews to Oban, 137 miles

Interesting fact: I'm working towards doing the Cingles Challenge on Ventoux next month..... :shock:
fixerupper

New Member ..

Post by fixerupper »

Hello everyone I just bought a mountain bike but I don't have it until tomorrow when the courier brings it ..and so I thought I'd join a forum ..

I live in the mountains in Crete and to save always using my truck to visit the olive trees , veg plot and grapes ..a mountain bike would save diesel and keep me fit ...

I don't know what year this bike is but it looks in good nick and it was not very spendy ,so I thought if I get on with it I can always buy something newer It's a specailzed rockhopper. What year do you think it is?

First question is about tyres, as I know nothing about mountain bikes. The roads around here are dusty and rocky and dry with loose stones and boulders.
It has slick road tyres.
What do I look for when buying off road tires ?
Are fatter always better ?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_20180521_130025565 (2).jpg
Last edited by Graham on 28 May 2018, 3:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for clarity
Vorpal

Re: New Member ..

Post by Vorpal »

fixerupper wrote:Hello everyone I just bought a mountain bike but I don't have it until tomorrow when the courier brings it ..and so I thought I'd join a forum ..

I live in the mountains in Crete and to save always using my truck to visit the olive trees , veg plot and grapes ..a mountain bike would save diesel and keep me fit ...

I don't know what year this bike is but it looks in good nick and it was not very spendy ,so I thought if I get on with it I can always buy something newer It's a specailzed rockhopper. What year do you think it is?

First question is about tyres, as I know nothing about mountain bikes. The roads around here are dusty and rocky and dry with loose stones and boulders.
It has slick road tyres.
What do I look for when buying off road tires ?
Are fatter always better ?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_20180521_130025565 (2).jpg

Welcome. I think you should start a new topic about tyres. Otherwise, either your question will get missed here, or a tyres discussion will take over the introductions thread.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom