Bordeaux to Caen by train

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TerryField

Bordeaux to Caen by train

Post by TerryField »

Anyone done this with a fully laden bike? We are planning to take local trains as these seem easier than the TGV which has limited space for fully built bikes. Is this easy?

We have to switch trains in Paris and go from the station at Montparnasse across Paris to the gare St Lazaire. Anyone done this, and how easy is the route across Paris?

Thanks

Terry
ubert767

Re: Bordeaux to Caen by train

Post by ubert767 »

My wife and I have taken our fully laden bikes on the train from Cherbourg down to Bordeaux and return on a couple of recent tours and found it to be a doddle. The transfer across Paris was quite enjoyable, Paris has plenty of cycleways and when possible we arranged it to be on a Sunday when Paris is more relaxed, there is a good Parisian route planner to plot the journey. The train Caen to Paris is free for bikes but you need to reserve on the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux ( costs 10 euros per bike). "Trainline" website is your friend as it shows bike space available. The TGV is a pleasure to use, there are dedicated wheel-on spaces with hold down straps provided in cars 1 and 11, just remove panniers to racks above. You sit in comfort alongside your bikes.
Rob
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Rob, excellent. Many thanks. We were concerned that the TGV might be overbooked, but from what you say it should be easy. We will be booking as soon as the booking window opens, about 3 months before the trip in late June.

Where did you get the cross Paris route planner?

Cheers

Terry
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

We used a website called " geovelo.fr/paris" for the route planning across Paris.
Rob
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Many thanks Rob
jk49

Post by jk49 »

We did this journey two years ago, but didn't go through Paris. I think we changed at Le mans and Tours. As above, it was very simple. Captain Train was the site we used for info and booking, which has now been taken over by Trainline I think. Enjoy!
TerryField

Re: Bordeaux to Caen by train - PROBLEM!

Post by TerryField »

Trying to book 3 bikes onto the TGV but although Trainline says the train can take 3 bikes, it also says they are not available. Anyone know how to break through the system to get the bikes booked on?

Thanks

Terry
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Info on other threads here
Try making three separate single bookings (for bikes alone, no people?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

That’s the problem - no apparent mechanism for booking bikes. Oddly, when I first looked at this earlier this year, I am sure it was as simple as ticking the cycle box, which now just says ‘unavailable’

Terry
mjr

Post by mjr »

TerryField wrote:We have to switch trains in Paris and go from the station at Montparnasse across Paris to the gare St Lazaire. Anyone done this, and how easy is the route across Paris?

I've not done that exact route but unless something's changed, I know there are a lot of cobbles on the obvious direct line (Boulevard Malherbes and Rue Royale) and to its east, so I'd consider using the contraflow cycle lane west along Rues de la Pépinèrie and Boétie, then south along bus lanes on Avenue Franklin Delano Roosevelt, left just before the river (down the cobbles onto the quay if you prefer) and then just touch the Place de la Concorde, right over the bridge, left and fork right onto bus lanes of Boulevards Saint-Germain and Rasspail, the fork right onto narrow cycle lanes of Rue de Rennes and keep heading towards the tower...

Or if you're not bothered about cycleways, so bus lanes, wide roads and back streets are OK, I'd head for Rue Auber, Boulevard de l'Opera, fork right Rue de Rohan, straight on straight through the Louvre and over the bridge, then left-right, left when you get to Boulevarde Saint-Germain and right into the north end of Rue de Rennes and keep heading towards the tower.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

TerryField wrote:That’s the problem - no apparent mechanism for booking bikes. Oddly, when I first looked at this earlier this year, I am sure it was as simple as ticking the cycle box, which now just says ‘unavailable’

Terry

My understanding is that if the Trainline TGV cycle reservation isn't selectable then it has already been taken therefore no longer available to you. Try alternative train times.

Rob.