Gears feel rough

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Fraz101

Gears feel rough

Post by Fraz101 »

When I’m pedalling every gear feels rough except 7th (smallest ring).

Gear change is perfect in every gear however.

I’ve recently replaced rear free wheel,chain,cables etc.

It doesn’t sound rough when pedalling,it just feels rough through the pedals.

Anyone suggest what it could be.

Chain is clean and well lubed

https://youtu.be/AExqWWtkgfY

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Last edited by Fraz101 on 26 Mar 2018, 8:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
David9694

Re: Gears feel rough

Post by David9694 »

Hanger alignment is off?

Severely worn chain ring vs your new chain?
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

David9694 wrote:Hanger alignment is off?

Severely worn chain ring vs your new chain?

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by hanger alignment ?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Look up park tool hanger alignment on YouTube.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

It changes up and down the gears perfectly. If the rear hanger was out of alignment would it not affect gear shifting?

David9694

Post by David9694 »

First of all with derailleurs, do as you’re doing and listen to and feel what the bike is telling you. I’ve not been sensible to this and wrecked a couple of derailluers and chains.

Is the rear wheel in straight? Presumably you’re running a 7 speed chain with your 7 speed freewheel? Did you replace the chain with the same number of links as before?

Where the rear derailleur attaches to the bike - that’s the hanger. If your bike is steel, the hanger will be part of the rear dropout (I.e where the wheel goes in) or on other materials it’s separate and is designed to break (rather than have the frame break - expensive). It’s a vulnerable spot and the symptoms from misalignment are usually more evident at one or other end of the gear.

Take a look to see if the hanger is true. If you’ve got a long bolt that fits it, remove the derailleur and screw it in as this will help accentuate any problems to your eye and also help you straighten it (at your own risk of course) if needed; don’t forget to look from behind and above.

A replaceable hanger will unscrew - you’ll need it to find a replacement - there are hundreds of different ones out there, but some very public spirited websites carrying a wide range of them - buy two when you find your match.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

do double-check that the chain is routed correctly through the rear mech, and that the inner cage plate of the mech is not on upside down. Also check that the b-tension adjustment is correct.

If in doubt post a photo or two.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Not the best pictures
ImageImage

Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

ImageImage

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

your hanger is bent (inwards) and this will cause some gears to run rough and be noisy, even when the gears are adjusted as well as they can be.

The chain routing is fine and the b-tension isn't a million miles out but a turn or two inwards might make things better in bottom gear.

cheers
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Bottom gear (smallest ring) is the only gear that feels ok.

I turned b screw a little inwards and 1-6th feels a lot rougher now.

Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Check the tensioner ( Jockey wheels / the little cogs in the mechanism) for damage, and bearing function. Also, check that the hanger is butted up against the B screw ( check that there isn’t a gap between the end of the b screw and the hanger)
hamster

Post by hamster »

Just one silly thought. Check the pedals - if you have one with a rough bearing it feels like the drivetrain.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Also check the jockey wheels. One of them might be shot. That would make it feel rough.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Brucey wrote:your hanger is bent (inwards) and this will cause some gears to run rough and be noisy, even when the gears are adjusted as well as they can be.

The chain routing is fine and the b-tension isn't a million miles out but a turn or two inwards might make things better in bottom gear.

Fraz101 wrote:Bottom gear (smallest ring) is the only gear that feels ok. I turned b screw a little inwards and 1-6th feels a lot rougher now.

Bottom gear = largest sprocket

No point in fiddling with the b tension screw if the mech hanger is bent; you should fix that first.

cheers