Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy safety review: call for evidence

reohn2

Re: Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy safety review: call for evidence

Post by reohn2 »

craigbroadbent wrote:Cyclist wearing dark clothes at night was identified as a key reason in 10% of fatal accidents.
And 5% would have been avoided if the bike had good lights on.

Reference
Transport Research Laboratory. Collisions involving pedal cyclists on Britain’s roads: establishing the causes October 2009

I assume that is for the total number of cyclists fatally injured by cars?
Is there a percentage of well lit "visible" number of fatal cyclist accidents?
How do we know if the 5% without lights couldn't have been avoided,that's an assumption surely?

I'm not advocating riding at night without lights,just questioning what appears to be assumptions of the TRL
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

My utterly anecdotal impression is that overall the proportion riding without lights is a pretty tiny proportion but that proportion seems to mostly feature later at night and particularly in the autumn months so that at certain times it can look like a fairly large portion.

At core commuting hours pretty much everyone has lights when needed.

Edit: clarity
Last edited by Stevek76 on 27 Mar 2018, 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

reohn2 wrote:Is there a percentage of well lit "visible" number of fatal cyclist accidents?

I got night time KSI data from Cambridgeshire for a year, there were 11 of them, of which 10 were legally lit.
Username

Post by Username »

Dedicated cycle paths specifically for cyclists. No peds allowed other than to walk their bike due to a mechanical.

Far more importantly would be cycle paths physically segregated from the roads, even at junctions where possible. Cycle paths "cannot" contain obstructions such as lamposts and there shall not be any allowance for cars to get on said paths, such as to cross it into a driveway. The cyclepath would need to be built elsewhere to allow for this.

A nice idea would be to have cyclepaths run alongside all motorways, obviously there would be barriers between the path and the motorway.

A minimum width for cyclepaths or cyclepath lanes. Cyclepaths to be used in the same manner as roads I.E one lane for each direction of travel.

Cant see any of these being implemented tho. Not least coz I dont have any "evidence".