Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by pwa »

fausto copy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Why there is even a 'little England beyond Wales' (Sir Penfro) in Wales, or west West Wales as fausto copy calls it

It irritates me somewhat whenever I see a news item on the beeb, referring to South West Wales.
It's invariably Swansea, which normally sits pretty centrally in South Wales on my maps. :evil:

Swansea is seen as the start of South West Wales. Beyond Swansea the Welsh Language kicks in, and things feel a bit different.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I use Wikipedia every day, what would we do without it? It is a bit welsh of course, it was created by a Mr Wales from trumpland

We love wikipedia! Anyone not love it?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rhiannon Lucy Coslett has a good article in the Guardian today about racism and insults to Welsh people by clarkson, lidell and others. It is quite funny actually
One wonders whether some ignorami criticise the Welsh because they have at last realised they will not get away with criticising black people, gays..

As we say in German: Viel Feind, Viel Ehr:
Many enemies, much honour
Being ridiculed by such people is an honour

Cymru am byth!
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

What a strange man.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Rhiannon Lucy Coslett has a good article in the Guardian today about racism and insults to Welsh people by clarkson, lidell and others. It is quite funny actually

Cosslett makes only the most glancing reference to Jones being Australian (in fact of Australian-Japanese-American extraction) before launching into a diatribe about the English (tho personally I still count Tony Blair as a Scot).

She'd be better off writing an article about racism in Australia - I remember reading something about anti-Japanese sentiment in Australia (perhaps in one of Clive James' memoirs?). Perhaps Jones thinks he should dish it out if he had to take it?
pwa

Post by pwa »

I hesitate to defend Jeremy Clarkson (it goes against the grain) but when he says something about "the Welsh" you are meant to understand that he is playing the role of an idiot and you are supposed to laugh at him, not with him. He makes similar remarks about practically any pocket of humanity, including Germans, Italians, the French. You are meant to know that he doesn't really mean it. Whether you find it funny or not is another matter. He bores me.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thornie1543 wrote:What a strange man.

Who,me? :wink: I am Welsh, or rather half Welsh
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
fausto copy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Why there is even a 'little England beyond Wales' (Sir Penfro) in Wales, or west West Wales as fausto copy calls it

It irritates me somewhat whenever I see a news item on the beeb, referring to South West Wales.
It's invariably Swansea, which normally sits pretty centrally in South Wales on my maps. :evil:

Swansea is seen as the start of South West Wales. Beyond Swansea the Welsh Language kicks in, and things feel a bit different.

Swansea is right near the bottom of Wales, I think I have been there but it was so long ago, cannae be sure, does it actually exist? In Germany there is an assertion that the large city of Bielefeld does not exist, German humour is quite good sometimes, the people who live in Bielefeld join in :)
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Well Swansea certainly exists, as the Jacks (as they're called) are some of the noisiest contingent I have met. :lol:
That's not to say they're loveable, but you certainly know when they're near.

As Swansea is planted firmly in the middle of the country, I think it should be referred to as being in S. M. or S.C. Wales (South Middle or South Central).

And "German Humour" ; isn't that what's known as an oxymoron. :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:
fausto copy wrote:

Swansea is right near the bottom of Wales, I think I have been there but it was so long ago, cannae be sure, does it actually exist? In Germany there is an assertion that the large city of Bielefeld does not exist, German humour is quite good sometimes, the people who live in Bielefeld join in :)

Second city of Wales. In spite of the Luftwaffe's best efforts. :lol:

Home town of Dylan Thomas.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Richard Branstrom, former CC of Heddlu Gogledd Cymru, could be a reason to love Wales, he upgraded traffic law enforcement
And he got an A-level in Welsh, +1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ryan Giggs took our boys to play football against China

The Chinese players are not allowed to have visible tattoos, several had to cover up, the ban is to promote Chinese virtues, +1!

Didn't work, we won 6:0

I have no tattoos but I wonder if I could have a Welsh dragon somewhere (where?), not permanent of course
pwa

Post by pwa »

deleted
Last edited by pwa on 28 Mar 2018, 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Round plaque on a wall in Cowbridge. Is it what I think it is?
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4610814 ... 6?hl=en-GB
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:Well Swansea certainly exists, as the Jacks (as they're called) are some of the noisiest contingent I have met. :lol:
That's not to say they're loveable, but you certainly know when they're near.

As Swansea is planted firmly in the middle of the country, I think it should be referred to as being in S. M. or S.C. Wales (South Middle or South Central).

And "German Humour" ; isn't that what's known as an oxymoron. :wink:

The newspaper reported that ever more forged bank notes were being found...

I went to the bank to change a €90 note so I could buy a newspaper
'I can gladly change it, would you like 3x €30, or 2x €45?', said the cashier :D :D