Gears feel rough

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Re: Gears feel rough

Post by reohn2 »

That's quite a bit of wear for such a short time scale.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

That’s not generally normal but perhaps normal for a SRAM PC-830 chain that was aggressively cleaned and inadequately lubricated and/or used in wet weather.

The slightly dearer PC-850 has hardened pins that last much longer.

Half an inch over 56 inches is 0.9% elongation, which is already well past the replacement point of 0.5%. Change it immediately and the cassette might still be okay.
Fraz101

Gears feel rough

Post by Fraz101 »

It has been used in wet and dirty roads most days but cleaned regular and lubed.

I’ll put the new chain on.

What should I do with the new one with regards to lube? It feels very waxy out the box.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fraz101 wrote:It has been used in wet and dirty roads most days but cleaned regular and lubed.

What should I do with the new one with regards to lube? It feels very waxy out the box.

I'd fit it and run it without decreasing but I'd lube it,keep an eye on the wear if only for experiments sake.Once it's knackered,I'd swap it and the cassette for a Sram 870 or 890 chain and a Shimano cassette,if it is a cassette and not a freewheel(hard to tell from the photos).
W H Auden
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

reohn2 wrote:
Fraz101 wrote:It has been used in wet and dirty roads most days but cleaned regular and lubed.

I'd fit it and run it without decreasing but I'd lube it,keep an eye on the wear if only for experiments sake.Once it's knackered,I'd swap it and the cassette for a Sram 870 or 890 chain and a Shimano cassette,if it is a cassette and not a freewheel(hard to tell from the photos).

Sorry it’s a freewheel. I think I said cassette in my video.

I’m guessing the pc830 is not a good chain for longevity?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fraz101 wrote:Sorry it’s a freewheel. I think I said cassette in my video.

Easy mistake if you're not sure.

I’m guessing the pc830 is not a good chain for longevity?

I doesn't seem so :?
W H Auden
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Put new chain on.

Problem resolved.

Can’t believe a chain can last so little time.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

new chains are impregnated with grease. This is probably the best chain lubricant the chain will ever see. If you have worn a chain that much (about 1%) in 200 miles then I'd suggest that your attempts to clean and lube it have had a negative effect. If you had done nothing to the chain it would probably not be that worn in that mileage.

IIRC usually the very cheapest SRAM chain model is not as well hardened (could be PC830 in the current line-up), but provided you avoid the cheapest chain, you will get a reasonably durable chain if you buy SRAM.

My advice is;
- DO NOT wash the factory grease off
- do not become concerned if a little bit of grit ends up on the outside of the chain (it will take ages to work its way into the pin bushings in a grease-impregnated chain)
- when the chain looks dry, apply some decent quality lubricant such as a gear oil, and remove the excess.

This approach should last about 500 miles.

If the chain gets too dirty, it will need to be cleaned. You can brush the crud off the outside, oil the chain with gear oil, and then wipe the excess off. If you repeat this often enough then you will keep the innards of the chain clean. If you use solvent to clean the chain then...

DO clean the chain many times over and rinse it well. To test if a chain is really clean or not, apply a little GT85 and run the chain through the gears with the bike on the workstand. If there is dark-coloured stuff coming out of the chain then it wasn't really clean before.

DO dry the chain thoroughly; any solvent residue will corrupt the properties of the lubricant.

DO make sure that any chain lube works its way into the pin bushings. Some folk advocate boiling the chain in oil; IMHO this serves only to ensure that the oil penetrates the bushings fully.

DO NOT use a chain lube with a solvent in, and then immediately ride the bike.

BTW the relatively quiet running in 6,7 may be because these sprockets wear most quickly and may have 'kept up' with the chain wear. This may cause a problem with skipping on these sprockets with a new chain.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Brucey wrote:new chains are impregnated with grease. . . . etc.

Thanks for that

How should I clean the chain when dirty?

Should I use the chain bath attachment I have or just wipe the chain with a clean rag?
peetee

Post by peetee »

You could maybe re read my previous posts. ( terminology and workshop conditions apply, your transmission may be at risk if you do not keep up, Other methods are available). 8)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

peetee wrote:You could maybe re read my previous posts. ( terminology and workshop conditions apply, your transmission may be at risk if you do not keep up, Other methods are available). 8)

You remove,soak,power rinse(pressure washer?) heat dry,wax lube?

What do you soak it in? What lube? How often?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I use muck off motorcycle cleaner (only available in a fetching shade of pink). Its the same as the bike cleaner but can usually be had for less if bought in the 5 litre tubs. I never pressure wash any part of a bike, just stick the chain in a sealable tube and give it a good shake, repeating with fresh water until it shows clean. Then its towel dried and straight on to a hot radiator for 20 mins. After its cooled I give two light applications of 'drip dry' type chain wax. If the weather is hot the chain goes in to a bath of the stuff so it can get right in to the nooks and krankies before it sets.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

I will describe my chain cleaning routine over the past 5 weeks to see what you all think. . . . . .

Obviously I must have been doing something wrong for the chain to last a mere 180miles/5weeks

Once per week I would fill my chain bath with a degreaser, run it through the chain for a minute or 2 then refill the bath with clean water to run it clear of the degreaser.

Then I’d lube the chain with wet lube (muc off) and leave it overnight ready for my journey to work the next morning.

If the weather was particularly wet and/or I could see the chain was dirty I would clean the chain with a clean towel to remove excess dirt/lube etc.

I’m really confused as to how I have managed to wreck a chain so quickly and I’m at a bit of loss as to how I maintain the new chain installed yesterday, (another sram pc830)

Thanks
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TBH I think it's the fault of the cheap chain more than anything.
That said a lube that penetrates into the chain is a must if you clean off the factory grease(something I always do)
W H Auden
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

reohn2 wrote:TBH I think it's the fault of the cheap chain more than anything.
That said a lube that penetrates into the chain is a must if you clean off the factory grease(something I always do)

Do you think the removal of the factory grease is the main reason my chain has failed so rapidly?

My friend at work made a good point in saying plenty people buy new bikes from Halfords etc and don’t maintain them and will last longer than that and the bikes are probably fitted with cheaper quality chains than the seam pc830!?