Insuring an e-bike

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
alimck

Insuring an e-bike

Post by alimck »

I have a Cube Access Hybrid Race 500 off-road/trail e-bike. Can anyone advise re insuring it, or is there anything I need to beware of?
reohn2

Re: Insuring an e-bike

Post by reohn2 »

Add it onto your household insurance policy as a named cycle if it's above the inclusive cycle cover.We insure or tandems his way
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:Add it onto your household insurance policy as a named cycle if it's above the inclusive cycle cover.We insure or tandems his way

Both of the home contents policies I've had (Co-Op previously and TSB currently) specifically exclude E-bikes, I have no idea why, or if it's common on other household policies.
Evans Cycles were promoting their insurance last time I was in one of their stores, as they sell a range of E-bikes you won't be the first to ask, so even if they don't they may know who do.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Add it onto your household insurance policy as a named cycle if it's above the inclusive cycle cover.We insure or tandems his way

Both of the home contents policies I've had (Co-Op previously and TSB currently) specifically exclude E-bikes, I have no idea why, or if it's common on other household policies.

I'll check that out we're with M&S,mainly because their bike cover was so good with an allowance for upto £2K and cover for taking bikes to Europe.
I hadn't though an e-bike would make any difference,I thought it'd be based on cost of replacement :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hemo

Post by hemo »

A lot of insurers/policies don't cover ebikes.
alimck

Post by alimck »

Thanks guys! I've gone with my household contents insurance (Halifax) against theft/loss/damage, new for old, inc. liability. I got quotes from specific cycle insurance companies but they were much more expensive and also required proof of purchase of a Sold Secure D lock to use away from home, whereas Halifax are less picky about the type of lock. They are charging about £80 a year. Thanks for your advice.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Hmm - I've just tried to add an ebike (£2,000) to our household policy where I have a couple of specified value bikes and blanket amount for the others that are <£500. Insurer (Lloyds bank) would not take the ebike

The bike came with "free" insurance until the middle of June but after that the premium is mad - to say nothing of having to cart round a massive lock.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker