Front jersey pockets

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
pjclinch

Re: Front jersey pockets

Post by pjclinch »

climo wrote:https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/extreme-smock-p81
Very suitable for today's weather :)

Indeed. It's about the same as the Buffalo Mountain Shirt and Special 6 in terms of warmth. I wore my Special 6 on the MTB this morning helping with my daughter's paper round, and it was very much the right tool for the job!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have unpicked the pockets from the rear of cycling tops with good success.
I use side pods over the seat to carry things I need.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

The people who make/made the P38 lightning had their own range of recumbent clothing.

Don't know if they still do though. :?

EDIT
====

I tend to use a bum bag and strap it round the back of the seat.
Depending on the type of seat it may need adjusting before wearing it again. :lol:

HTH
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Upright waterproofs have a scoop front and a drop tail.

Do recumbent waterproofs exist and do they have the opposite design? A scoop rear and drop front?

It seems to me you need a longer front to protect your middle in rain. Is there anything suitably designed?
BrownBear

Post by BrownBear »

Most of the non specific options look a lot more viable for winter than summer.
I have one short sleeve jersey that had the pockets resewn on the front by someone a lot more dexterous then me, actually easier with cheaper jerseys than high end ones I think.
Top tube bags do look interesting, provided there's no pedalling interference, I been wondering at the Apidura one in this months mag.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Upright waterproofs have a scoop front and a drop tail.

Do recumbent waterproofs exist and do they have the opposite design? A scoop rear and drop front?

It seems to me you need a longer front to protect your middle in rain. Is there anything suitably designed?

ICE did one for a while, but it's a long time ago now. The offset zip was so any puddles that might form on one's lap didn't work they way through. Because your body position still has a bend in the same relative direction as on an uprwong (i.e., you're bent forward/upward at the waist) the front length of most jackets isn't an issue. The tail isn't really an issue, but rear pockets might get in the way a bit and provide a seam you'd rather not lean on. I really have no use for rear pockets on a raincoat on any bike, so I don't feel I'm missing much by not having a "proper" cycling model even on the upwrongs.

I usually wear a "multi activity" light waterproof on any sort of bike if it's raining (an OMM Kamleika Race Jacket in my case) and that seems to do okay. A smock type may be preferable.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm considering a buffalo windshirt again. Had one when 16/17 but grew out of it. IMHO it was a brilliant cycling top on an upright but I reckon better for a recumbent. I don't know if there's something similar but in a waterproof. OMM do smocks IIRC but not with a large front pocket.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:I'm considering a buffalo windshirt again. Had one when 16/17 but grew out of it. IMHO it was a brilliant cycling top on an upright but I reckon better for a recumbent. I don't know if there's something similar but in a waterproof. OMM do smocks IIRC but not with a large front pocket.

Buffalo windshirt is a good choice. A waterproof of similar design would be a Paramo Velez which my wife uses as her touring waterproof (and general windproof too, as they're much more breathable than conventional waterproofs). Downside of Paramo stuff is it needs the liner to work which can be a bit on the warm side on a nice day. Rohan now do a smock waterproof with a kangaroo pocket called the Hideway.

Pete.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Years back I used to use the buffalo windshirt with a very light paramo fleece/mid layer as my summer "waterproof". The full paramo waterproof was too hot but this setup mostly coped ok. I did get wet in heavy downpours but it kept me comfortable even if I was wet.

Personally I have stopped wearing paramo. I don't fit them being tall and fairly slim. I apologise of this is offensive but I see their fit as only being suitable for shorter and wider people. I'm a xxl for length but even a medium is too baggy around the body. It doesn't fit unless I'm ok with a really baggy look. Good kit though.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:Years back I used to use the buffalo windshirt with a very light paramo fleece/mid layer as my summer "waterproof". The full paramo waterproof was too hot but this setup mostly coped ok. I did get wet in heavy downpours but it kept me comfortable even if I was wet.

The old Paramo "Parameta S" directional midlayers are really good, and it's a great shame they don't make them any more, particularly the version with the chest pocket which is a favourite cycling top as well as hillwalking and ski touring garb for me.

Tangled Metal wrote:Personally I have stopped wearing paramo. I don't fit them being tall and fairly slim. I apologise of this is offensive but I see their fit as only being suitable for shorter and wider people. I'm a xxl for length but even a medium is too baggy around the body. It doesn't fit unless I'm ok with a really baggy look. Good kit though.

I'm fairly stocky and it doesn't fit me either these days! M is too short on my trunk and L fits like a sack. However, they're not the only people using the system. Cioch Direct will do you a made-to-measure. Buffalo will do a degree of customisation too: having a relatively long trunk I'm currently waiting for a Windshirt cut to same length as an Active Lite shirt.

Pete.
RickH

Post by RickH »

pjclinch wrote:... Rohan now do a smock waterproof with a kangaroo pocket called the Hideway.

Pete.

It's actually the Hideout.

Looks quite good even if a tad expensive! I still have a couple of Rohan tops in that style (although without hoods & not waterproof) that are around 30 years old.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

RickH wrote:It's actually the Hideout.

Looks quite good even if a tad expensive! I still have a couple of Rohan tops in that style (although without hoods & not waterproof) that are around 30 years old.

I stand corrected on the name! Price (£160) isn't actually too silly considering it's in a good quality breathable/waterproof. It'd be about the same for a Buffalo (insulated but not waterproof) Mountain Shirt or similar and £200 for a Paramo Velez. I'd like it a lot more if the hood was wired (though mainly that'd be non-bike use) and it had two-way side zips for venting each side rather than a one-way access zip on one side, but if you want to keep your trunk dry and have a good chest pocket it's certainly an option.

Pete.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The analogy waterproofs were once licensed to other companies. Cioch, slioch and even finisterre. It if those only Cioch are still using it. I think there is a couple who worked for slioch or cooch then set up their own company in Scotland making analogy kit and other things. Then they sold up and moved to northern England or the Midlands. Can't remember their name but they do made to measure stuff too.

IIRC finisterre changed to their own fabrics, possibly one similar in theory to analogy. When they did the analogy fabric they had some interesting design features. The hood was both good and bad IIRC. The hood was bigger and designed to go over the face a bit because it had a larger visor made out of clear plastic window you'd look through on heavy rain. Or fix it back of it's not that bad. Some walking kit reviewers for outdoor magazines raved about it others heavily criticised it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

For me the big advantage of recumbent is not using cycling specific gear. Most of cycling attire is either crag hopper or weird fish,with a few weird fish bits thrown in. All stuff I had anyway., that said I don't find I have an issue with rear pockets being there just don't use them.
Shorts for me are the bug bear,I hate padded shorts its like wearing a nappy. Unpadded lycra would just be wrong, cargo shorts flap too much. Might try a pair of Corin Dennis touring shorts if they ever come back in, in my size.
Last edited by NUKe on 13 Apr 2018, 11:16am, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe

Post by Tangled Metal »

Since I've only done short recumbent rides with the family since getting it there is no need for me to use any cycling clothing. I wear what I was wearing off the bent. So far I've mostly worn jeans, the T-shirt and hoodie. Perfectly comfortable for the rides I've done so far. A couple of times I've put on montane terra pants but they're a bit baggy like rohan bags are. Great for walking though and plenty of zipped pockets (some make great key pockets within the main pocket just incase you leave the hand pocket unzipped.

In the summer I'll probably wear a pair of Altura baggy shorts minus the clickfast padded liner. There upright specific but I tend to wear them like normal shorts anyway even off the bike.

I don't think recumbent bikes and trikes need special clothing. Anything suitable for the weather is good enough. Mind you that's mostly my view on uprights too. I own cycle specific but I don't think I'm that much more comfortable than my old outdoor kit I used. Mix and match even now.