Front jersey pockets

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
pjclinch

Re: Front jersey pockets

Post by pjclinch »

Tangled Metal wrote:
IIRC finisterre changed to their own fabrics, possibly one similar in theory to analogy. When they did the analogy fabric they had some interesting design features. The hood was both good and bad IIRC. The hood was bigger and designed to go over the face a bit because it had a larger visor made out of clear plastic window you'd look through on heavy rain. Or fix it back of it's not that bad. Some walking kit reviewers for outdoor magazines raved about it others heavily criticised it.

The clear visor was Furtech IIRC rather than Finisterre. My Analogy jacket is in fact a Finisterre Storm Track, which aside from I'd like it a little longer is very good. The hood has a "normal" wired peak and volume adjuster. Furtech still seem to be going to some degree. Finisterre's subsequent waterproofs have mostly been membrane based, though the final version of the Storm Track did look Analogy-esque.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One thing ‘bent trikes *do* need is some sort of positive foot retention mechanism - clears are highly recommended, but there are other options as well...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

[XAP]Bob wrote:One thing ‘bent trikes *do* need is some sort of positive foot retention mechanism - clears are highly recommended, but there are other options as well...

And you don't even need to worry about unclipping when you stop!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pjclinch wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Years back I used to use the buffalo windshirt with a very light paramo fleece/mid layer as my summer "waterproof". The full paramo waterproof was too hot but this setup mostly coped ok. I did get wet in heavy downpours but it kept me comfortable even if I was wet.

The old Paramo "Parameta S" directional midlayers are really good, and it's a great shame they don't make them any more, particularly the version with the chest pocket which is a favourite cycling top as well as hillwalking and ski touring garb for me.

Tangled Metal wrote:Personally I have stopped wearing paramo. I don't fit them being tall and fairly slim. I apologise of this is offensive but I see their fit as only being suitable for shorter and wider people. I'm a xxl for length but even a medium is too baggy around the body. It doesn't fit unless I'm ok with a really baggy look. Good kit though.

I'm fairly stocky and it doesn't fit me either these days! M is too short on my trunk and L fits like a sack. However, they're not the only people using the system. Cioch Direct will do you a made-to-measure. Buffalo will do a degree of customisation too: having a relatively long trunk I'm currently waiting for a Windshirt cut to same length as an Active Lite shirt.

Pete.

Hilltrek do custom Paramo clothing
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

pjclinch wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Years back I used to use the buffalo windshirt with a very light paramo fleece/mid layer as my summer "waterproof". The full paramo waterproof was too hot but this setup mostly coped ok. I did get wet in heavy downpours but it kept me comfortable even if I was wet.

The old Paramo "Parameta S" directional midlayers are really good, and it's a great shame they don't make them any more, particularly the version with the chest pocket which is a favourite cycling top as well as hillwalking and ski touring garb for me.

Tangled Metal wrote:Personally I have stopped wearing paramo. I don't fit them being tall and fairly slim. I apologise of this is offensive but I see their fit as only being suitable for shorter and wider people. I'm a xxl for length but even a medium is too baggy around the body. It doesn't fit unless I'm ok with a really baggy look. Good kit though.

I'm fairly stocky and it doesn't fit me either these days! M is too short on my trunk and L fits like a sack. However, they're not the only people using the system. Cioch Direct will do you a made-to-measure. Buffalo will do a degree of customisation too: having a relatively long trunk I'm currently waiting for a Windshirt cut to same length as an Active Lite shirt.

Pete.

HillTrek do custom Nikwax clothing
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Cunobelin wrote:HillTrek do custom Nikwax clothing
HillTrek do custom Paramo clothing

"Nikwax" is the one you want. Paramo is a sibling company of Nikwax producing a range of clothes, including those that use Nikwax Analogy fabrics.

Hilltrek make a range with an Analogy liner under a Ventile outer, rather than the synthetic outers used by Paramo and Cioch Direct.

(IIRC it was originally "Biological Analogy" but I suspect someone in Marketing suggested that was a bit clumsy at some point. The idea came from the way mammal fur naturally sheds water by capillary action as the gaps between hairs widen moving out from the body, combined with oily coatings that prevent water soaking in).

Pete.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

At last, today a parcel has arrived from Hawkshead containing a bright yellow rain jacket with two front pockets and an inside pocket. MBH is delighted with it.
I didn't think this topic would generate so much interest.

Thanks
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

PAB855 wrote:At last, today a parcel has arrived from Hawkshead containing a bright yellow rain jacket with two front pockets and an inside pocket. MBH is delighted with it.
I didn't think this topic would generate so much interest.

Thanks

Have your other half used it yet? What is the verdict?
NUKe

Post by PAB855 »

Not yet. She is still admiring it hanging up in the hall. I should be packing for our holiday tomorrow, I must ask her if she intends to take it. We are going to Fort William after all!,, Average rainfall ----- well above average I believe, but hopefully the midges won't have wakened up yet!

Cheers
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

PAB855 wrote:Not yet. She is still admiring it hanging up in the hall. I should be packing for our holiday tomorrow, I must ask her if she intends to take it. We are going to Fort William after all!,, Average rainfall ----- well above average I believe, but hopefully the midges won't have wakened up yet!

Cheers

They're wide awake and HUNGRY. :twisted:
At least they are in the great glen. "Jungle formula" works! but keep it out of your eyes.
OldBloke

Post by OldBloke »

These folks have recently started advertising front pocket jerseys in both long and short sleeves:
http://dtrecumbents.com.au/DTRecumbents ... rseys.html

OB
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

ICE also have a short sleeved top with front zippered pockets.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The ICE ones are a lot neater with the side pockets. IMHO looking like an upright cyclist with rear pockets has become acceptable but front pockets I don't think even upright cyclists would accept recumbent cyclists with those. Comfort while cycling is also important with look of the clothing but I haven't found pockets on your front to be a good solution to comfort and capacity on a recumbent. Loaded pockets sit a bit heavily IME. I've used a normal cycling top with a chest pocket on my recumbent and my phone was a bit uncomfortable IMO. On an upright a chest pocket bounces with each pedal and it wasn't far off with the chest pocket on a recumbent. Weight on your lower back on an upright isn't the same because your back gets loaded a lot more, we're kind of designed to take weight like that.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/breez ... aspx/navy/

I was in Mountain warehouse last night and cam across the above. reckon it would make a good jersey for recumbent riding. has a small breast pocket. (large enough for a bag of sweets or an energy bar if you prefer). the back has a mesh panel, which is narrow. No rear pockets but that's not a problem for recumbent riding. sizing is quite generous.

Wore it to commute this morning and works for me.
NUKe

Post by nigelnightmare »

The worst thing I've found about rear pockets on cycling gear is now they all seem to have zips instead of a flap & elasticated top, even shorts/trousers!
+ve better security
-ve access whilst riding/ digs in your back (recumbent user) and can damage the seat!