Tyre Size & Recommendation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
groberts

Tyre Size & Recommendation

Post by groberts »

I'm looking to replace the tyres on my son-in-law's oldish Ribble bike. At he moment it has Vitoria Roma 22 22-622 700-22C tyres on Mavik wheels (no wheel info). This tyre size now seems hard to come by with the 700-23 more commonly available.

1. Would a 700-23 tyre fit OK?
2. Can anyone recommend a suitable, not too expensive and hard wearing tyre?

Thanks, Graham
reohn2

Re: Tyre Size & Recommendation

Post by reohn2 »

I'D be amazed if 700x23 won't for and I'd recommend Conti Gaitorskins or Vittoria Rubinos as the replacement tyres.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Some makes measure larger than others for the same nominal size. There shouldn't be a huge problem tho
IME Schwalbe are sometimes a lower height (only by 1 mm) than other makers. Compare here... https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
A wired Schwalbe Durano S with Raceguard is £15 at Planet X, the well-regarded folding Schwalbe One V-Guard is £25
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

22/23/25/28mm are all sizes you might consider.

What's important are the frame clearances. Fatter tyres might rub on parts of the frame.
I should coco.
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks for the replies - would a folding v non folding make any difference + which is preferable?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

groberts wrote:Thanks for the replies - would a folding v non folding make any difference + which is preferable?

Folders, size for size, are usually lighter in weight.
And, to me, are easier to get on and off if punctured. (that does though depend on rims and brand of tyre)
Personally I use "Continental" Grand Prix's series or whatever is on offer at the time.
A bit pricey but I find they have good puncture protection with good grip and reasonable wear.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

+1 for Continental Grand Prix. I use the 4 seasons, but many on here consider them unnecssarily expensive.

As for size, you can rpobably fit anything up to a 25 mm tyre. you might be able to fit a 28 mm tyre, but I wouldn't try without measuring clearance.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I wouldn’t touch Continental tyres with someone else’s barge pole. I’ve had GP4000sII and GP 4 seasons, and they have proven to be as durable as toothpaste. Personally I’d recommended Michelin’s Pro4 endurance, and I can’t speak highly enough of the new Pirelli P Zero Velos I’ve had for about 5000 miles on one of my bikes.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I like Michelin Pro4 Endurance. They are hard wearing and I just bought a 25c pair from Decathlon for less that £50. If you want a good budget tyre, I've found Michelin Lithion 2 to be good. I've got Conti 4 seasons but they are graining after about a year. I like Vittoria Randonneur too, if you don't mind rigids.