Blood pressure

cycleruk

Blood pressure

Post by cycleruk »

Recently blood pressure readings are high - 165/87 typically. (I am overweight by a stone if that is anything to go by)
Unexpectedly, after doing a hardish ride pressure readings are lower at about 142/79, on getting home.
Any thoughts on why.?
I would expect readings to be the same.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
david7591

Re: Blood pressure

Post by david7591 »

Yes, it is normal for blood pressure to be temporarily lower after exercise.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Exercise is recommended to reduce blood pressure, but blood pressure fluctuates a good deal in any case, and tends to vary from one time of day to another, so to get a more realistic picture it is best to take readings several times a day, over the course of a week or so, at pretty much the same times each day. It is also worth reading up on the best position for yourself and your monitor, because variations in positioning can also lead to differences in readings. If you already take your BP regularly in the recommended fashion, maybe you could, if possible, try a strenuous ride daily at around the same time and follow it with readings to see how consistent the results are?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A strenuous ride daily. :roll: You trying to kill me. :lol:
I am, or should I say my wife, is making sure that readings are taken 3 times a day.
They all tend to be around the same figures except after a couple of really hard rides.
May end up seeing the doctors if it continues.

Thanks for the replies all.
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

cycleruk wrote:A strenuous ride daily. :roll: You trying to kill me. :lol:
I am, or should I say my wife, is making sure that readings are taken 3 times a day.
They all tend to be around the same figures except after a couple of really hard rides.
May end up seeing the doctors if it continues.

Sorry :D
I do think it would be a good idea to see your doctor because clearly the overall pattern of your BP does suggest that it is on the high side, and you are probably wiser to err on the side of caution. I know that some people have a tendency to latch onto the good readings whilst writing off the more “inconvenient” ones (I happen to be very familiar with someone who has been known to do this: probably not wise. But then I haven’t got a good woman to keep tabs on me :lol: ).
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

If you're regularly getting BP readings of around 165/87, go see the doc. Seriously, really. And don't listen to anyone on the internet (other than those who say you should see the doc).
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Alan O wrote:If you're regularly getting BP readings of around 165/87, go see the doc. Seriously, really. And don't listen to anyone on the internet (other than those who say you should see the doc).

I will be going to the Doc's.
Just getting the readings before I go. I've had high and normal readings for many years and the usual 24 hr. test.
But this is the first time that high readings have been lasting.
Cheers.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

cycleruk wrote:Recently blood pressure readings are high - 165/87 typically. (I am overweight by a stone if that is anything to go by)
Unexpectedly, after doing a hardish ride pressure readings are lower at about 142/79, on getting home.
Any thoughts on why.?
I would expect readings to be the same.

Pressure readings immediately after exercise tend to be lower- I have been told that this is because you have stopped making demands on the heart, but the vessels are still dilated. I agree with everyone else that it's worth talking to the GP about it.