How do you carry your camera?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

How do you carry your camera?

Post by mnichols »

When I'm touring I normally just use my iPhone for taking photos - it's small, robust, has good battery life and has no moving parts

but, on my next tour I want to take a proper camera as it promises to be very scenic. In fact I have bought a camera specifically for this tour. It has an optical zoom and therefore has moving parts.

Cameras tend to be delicate so how do you carry yours to stop it from getting damaged or just shaken to pieces?

Many of the roads on my tour will be unsealed so it could get shaken about.
Vorpal

Re: How do you carry your camera?

Post by Vorpal »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113319

has links to some previous threads.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I like the idea of having a real camera. In the past I've taken an Olympus you-can-drop-it-from-6ft thing: slightly better than an iPhone but doesn't have a real lens as a supplement to an iPhone. Presumably your camera will have a memory card. You can get an adapter that allows you to transfer camera pics to an iPhone. Just the thing for saving everything as you go in case your camera gets lost or stolen (been there done that)
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

IMHO, a bar bag on a Klikfix mount is simply without equal as a camera bag. Keep all the valuables (wallet, passport) in it too, and it comes absolutely everywhere with you on a shoulder strap.
Camera is quickly to hand.
My older Karrimor one has clear map window, a second zipped outer pocket. It's padded inside with removable foam that protects contents also preserves its shape, plus inside pouches.
It's pretty rain proof but a plastic bag will keep water out in really bad weather.
I wouldn't tour without it.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Have both a Smart Phone with a decent camera but also a good P & S camera (Sony RX100 III)

My smart phone sits on the Quadlock while I ride as it's my GPS (MapsMe and OsmAnd) https://www.quadlockcase.com/

Real Camera sits in my Bar Bag, Ortlieb or I have a long carry cord which enables me to sling it across my back while I ride...makes it easy to whip it around a take pics very quickly if need be......I have it in a small carry case that keeps it quite well protected...Lowepro is the brand, they have a whole heap of products that may suit your needs :- https://www.lowepro.com/
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

If it's a compact with an optical lens then you could get away with a zip bag plus a padded jiffy, if you're going to be using it frequently you want access to it more often than not so it'll be on the top most of the time anyway.
If I take a decent full size camera then I'll use it's proper case (Lowepro) and then store other bits in the case like batteries and other small bits, say a powerbank, phone charging cable etc.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Thanks for the replies.

The camera is a Sony RX100 III, which I thoroughly recommend, it's compact in size but takes great photos due to a large sensor.

Interesting comments in the threads from Vorpal about carrying the camera on your body - it seems to me that whilst the bike does get shaken about a lot the body would provide quite a lot of shock absorption? The main risk would be from falling off.

I will be travelling with a rack pack rather than panniers, and I don't own a handlebar bag, although I do use a top tube bag. It would seem that all of these would get shaken quite a lot on bumpy roads. I may look into a small handlebar bag - it's a small camera, but worried about all the bumps on a delicate camera.

I also use the Topeak version of the quadlock that mounts my iPhone on the stem - which is excellent. I've even used it for filming whilst I'm riding
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Yeah, it's a pretty good camera.....I had the first version when it cam out, but now have the III like you :)

I have this case that I use along with the LowePro - http://www.storkz.com/sony-lcjrxfb.html ... gIW__D_BwE

I just secure a long strap through the loops and ride with it across my back......through all temps and road conditions....7 countries and 13500kms last year and still going strong.
Will be using the same set up for a 3 month trip in to India starting in May.
PH

Post by PH »

For touring I like a bar bag, in my case a Vaude with the foam Ortlieb camera insert, that takes a rangefinder style M4/3 and a couple of lenses while still leaving room for other valuables. If you don't want that much capacity, the trend in bikepacking luggage has several options. For day rides carrying a Panasonic GM1 camera (which I think is around the same size as a RX100) I'm using an Alpkit top tube bag, I've put a bit of foam in the bottom and the camera is in a waterproof pouch I made from a Sealskin sock, so a fairly snug fit and I think well protected.
ImageAlpkit bag by Paul, on Flickr

I like the idea of wearing it, it's something I've tried a couple of times but haven't found comfortable. though it's been with slightly larger cameras.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I wear a small fanny pack (yes, I know) Which carries my wallet, phone and keys, I also have a compact camera case looped on the strap. Readily available on the fly.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Bar bags give optimal protection from road shock and falls and that is my preferred location for the camera (I use a Nikon 500 atm but often carry a compact too or take the DSLR). The bar bag is ride central for wallet, passport, camera etc that goes where I do. I use an Ortlieb with the camera insert which doubles up very nicely as a camera bag even when not cycling - it's pretty waterproof, the biggest issue I have with cameras is condensation in damp weather - there's always paper hankies or similar in my bag to dry the lens.

I have in the past tried rack bags and even one of the Ortlieb semi rigid camera boxes but i've never been happy with the amount of shaking about - you can hear it all jiggling about. Don't get that with a bar bag.

I wouldn't consider wearing anything on the body for anything more than a few meters, a camera in particular is likely to get steamed up if worn on your back when riding. Had that happen a few times plus if you do take a tumble - well you are quite likely to damage you as well as the camera.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MarcusT wrote:I wear a small fanny pack (yes, I know) Which carries my wallet, phone and keys, I also have a compact camera case looped on the strap. Readily available on the fly.

'fanny pack' is an American term that, in British, sounds like crude slang for feminine hygiene products. The British expression is 'bum bag' (which funnily enough in American sounds like something a homeless person would use).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have a £6 Kodak easy Share 5mp camera I got from Ebay that produces fine pictures good enough for being displayed on on screen. Uses AA batteries and has a zoomable viewfinder like on old fashioned cameras ( as well as a smallish screen better for closeups) CX7530. Has flash and auto focus and auto exposure: A great little camera no one is likely to mug me for this camera All the pictures I have posted here have used it :lol: I keep it in my bar bag

cx7530
cx7530
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Increasingly I use my phone to take photos these days and this lives in any of various pockets about my person in a sealable plastic bag, depending on weather, or in the bar bag.

If I take a camera then I keep it in the mesh side pocket of my Carradice bar bag, unless it's raining. This means if I'm stopping to take a photo, quick and easy to take out and return. It also means I can take photos on the move. I put my hand through the wrist loop for security before lifting out and switching on. This can't be recommended. I only do this on quiet roads but given these are the roads I tend to be on I find it works fine. Occasionally take weird photos of the bar bag but have adapted a method that works for me.

I used to use a small Sony Cyber-Shot but now use a Panasonic Lumix TZ60 which gives great results for what I want.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
northernrebel

Post by northernrebel »

I agree that bar bag is the way to go - it's accessible when you need it and along with others I keep everything of real value (passport, wallet, phone & keys) is in there, so when I'm away from the bike I can simply take it all with me. I've also got into the habit of keeping the map in the clear pocket on the top so I can check navigation on the move.
I've used a Samsung NX1100 for 4 years on several tours, some of which had short sections of very questionable surface and it hasn't had any issues. great little camera, quality pictures, interchangeable lenses and you can sync it to a phone or tablet as a viewfinder or to back your photos up to.
I've got a Vaude bar bag and there is about 3-4mm of rubbery foam lining the base inside that provides some shock absorption, and I keep it in a small camera bag with its own padding as well.