Bike Stand

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cuttlefish

Bike Stand

Post by Cuttlefish »

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a bike stand so I can repair punctures etc?
simonhill

Re: Bike Stand

Post by simonhill »

Instead of using a stand, a common method is to turn the bike upside down. It will rest on its handlebars and saddle. You can then remove the wheel easily. You can also leave the wheel on and just remove the tyre to repair the tube if that is your chosen method.

When I was looking for a bike wheel stand a while ago, I found googling it brought up lots of options.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Assuming you mean a workstand for your garage etc, have a look here:
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/170 ... workstands

I have a pet hate to see people putting a bike upside down; the bars, saddle and brake levers always get scratched. Yuck.
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

Re inverting bike to repair punctures.
I have done it and occasionally will do again. However I found out the hard way that with some elderly hydraulic brakes this is not a good idea as they may cease to function for a while after.
First preferred method when away from home is to hang the bike by the saddle from a fence or tree branch.
For the garage I bought a cheap workstand off amazon which is perfectly good apart from the jaw/frame protector on the clamp falls off at inconvenient times and I keep meaning to fix it wit a piece of old inner tube but somehow never do.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

If you have a roof, I have found this variety to be quite useful: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycle-roof-l ... 2428879762
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

or if you must get a stand lidls has them - I think my lidls in Streatham still had them so maybe yours also. £25 or so and many here think they are good
Cuttlefish

Post by Cuttlefish »

Thank you for the replies - they have given me some idea of what is out there.

I am still on the look-out for one.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If you use a clamping stand, never the top tube, usually the seat tube.

I prefer U stands, stay stands or winches.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cuttlefish wrote: ... Can anyone recommend a bike stand so I can repair punctures etc?

I think it's important to think about what you include in "etc."

If it's only puncture repairs, then lying the bike flat once you have the wheel out is as good as anything. IMO, standing a bike upside down is a no-no.

One of the big advantages of a stand is being able to do things which need the wheels to be able to spin: adjusting brakes is an example but adjusting anything to do with the drive train is the biggy. Without some means of getting the back wheel off the ground you are left trying to support the bike, turn the pedals, change gear and watch what's happening all at once.

If you just want to prop up a bike, something like this works well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Raleigh-Rear-M ... aintenance

If you want the whole bike up off the floor for maintenance I'd suggest that overall, you need stability, then a clamp suitable for your own bike. eg You don't want the clamp pressing the cables to the frame. AFAIK, something delicate like a carbon fibre frame needs an arrangement which doesn't damage the frame tubes. I've never owned one so I don't really know
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

+1 for the Lidl workstand. Definitely £25 I have not regretted. If you wait a week or so they may be even cheaper, or they may have all gone...
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

speedsixdave wrote:+1 for the Lidl workstand. Definitely £25 I have not regretted. If you wait a week or so they may be even cheaper, or they may have all gone...

Have another +1. All most people really need. Our tandem sits suspended on it pretty much permenantly, so it's plenty strong enough.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

If you want a stand for working in the garage and you don't have much space, this one is excellent, comes with 2 mounting brackets, which the clamp just slots into so you can have the bike at waist or eye level. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOME-MECHANIC-WALL-MOUNTED-BIKE-CYCLE-REPAIR-STAND/161060185585?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
laager

Post by laager »

Last edited by laager on 19 Apr 2018, 11:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

hamster wrote:I have a pet hate to see people putting a bike upside down; the bars, saddle and brake levers always get scratched. Yuck.

I'm with you on this one but, OTOH, I find inverting a bike does have its uses. For example, if you have mudguards then inverting the bike does give you the best view to inspect the tyres without removing the wheels. So, not being adverse to a bit of wood butchery, I made a handlebar support to prevent any damage.

Inverted Bike.jpg

Stand.jpg

I have "proper" bike stands but for a quick tyre inspection this DIY handlebar support is the fastest. (The alternative of taking the wheels out is a pain on some of our bikes as the tyres have to be deflated first to clear the brake blocks, even with the cables released).
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I like it; top chippy action!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~