You Tube Head Cam footage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Airsporter1st

Re: You Tube Head Cam footage

Post by Airsporter1st »

You were assaulted and have proof of same. I would be asking to speak to the Superintendent and would want to know why he felt that violent crime should not be prosecuted.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

The issue is lack of Police resources. I ended up writing a note to my (tory) MP to say I wan't taking it further with the Police as they are obviously short of resources and it wouldn't make any difference what I say to them. I said to her the government had cut Police resources too far and suggested she try and reverse this situation. I got a reply saying she'd go back to the Police for a response, but "they are taking a long time to respond at the moment". I said the issue is a lack of resources, which is in her control, not theirs. I haven't heard anything more.....
cyclegasp

Post by cyclegasp »

everyone claims to be about cyclist safety, so why then when a video is posted to youtube does no one point out the errors etc of the "cyclists" giving everyone a bad name.

why let the idiots who never see a cyclist doing anything wrong give us all the bad name.

the red light jump videos about a car, but showing "cyclists" doing it as well, but they are ignored.

example here
https://youtu.be/AwILU0KzE8E

these cyclists are on the wrong side of the road with a double decker bus coming towards them. the bus flashes it's lights.

yet apparently looking at he comments any and everyone but the "cyclist" did anything wrong
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Welcome to the forum

Whatever may happen elsewhere, if somebody posts footage on here, there'll be no shortage of comments about what the rider might have done better.
mjr

Post by mjr »

cyclegasp wrote:everyone claims to be about cyclist safety, so why then when a video is posted to youtube does no one point out the errors etc of the "cyclists" giving everyone a bad name.

why let the idiots who never see a cyclist doing anything wrong give us all the bad name.

You're right. We shouldn't let a few cycling lawbreakers give us all a bad name. We should reject the assertion that we're responsible for people we don't know just because they use a bike! Almost no-one says motorists are all to blame because of their rampant red light jumping, speeding, phone use and so on. I basically can't go through the six sets of traffic lights on the way to town without catching at least one motorist jumping a red light on camera and usually multiple, unless it's the dead of night, there are few motorists and the signals have gone onto sensor-trigger mode so they get very few reds.

Saying all cyclists should be punished because a tiny fraction offend is unreasonable and basically an excuse to harm public health by failing to spend on cycling, perhaps in the hope that the money can be spent on the motoring which the speaker does.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
danhopgood

Post by danhopgood »

Airsporter1st wrote:You were assaulted and have proof of same. I would be asking to speak to the Superintendent and would want to know why he felt that violent crime should not be prosecuted.

My initial reaction was anger and wanting to take it further. I've now made peace with myself now about letting it drop. The sad reality is bad stuff happens and the Police resources are insufficient. They have to prioritise and this incident just didn't make the cut. I've written to my MP to say resources are insufficient and asking something be done. If society wants more effective law and order they'll have to vote and pay for it.

I'll just continue to try and stay clear of the idiots and hope I stay lucky.