Classic Frame Builder Wanted

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jrsbike

Classic Frame Builder Wanted

Post by jrsbike »

Greetings from the US and apologies if this is not the correct forum. I have retired and finally have time for activities that were lost to work and family. This includes my old passion for cycling. I have had may bikes in the past but my favorites have always been British, including Bob Jackson, Holdsworth and even a Falcon. Since my youth I have always wanted a Raleigh Team Professional, especially a 73/74 with the fast back stays. Raleigh issued a commemorative Team Pro last year which seemed quite nice but these were fabricated in China. I'm sure they are fine but I want a real Made In England bike. Short of resurrecting an older frame, my goal is to find a UK frame builder who will make me a modern steel bike based on the looks and design of the originals. This would accommodate modern gearing and components although I would miss the 1" steerer tube. Any recommendations for a builder would be appreciated. Thank you.
Bonefishblues

Re: Classic Frame Builder Wanted

Post by Bonefishblues »

Liz Colebrook produces classic Flying Gates as well as other more contemporary designs.

http://www.beaumontbicycle.com/#home-section
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

why not get a frame built to the classic specifications using 753 tubing, as many of the classic era Raleigh SBDU frames were? Dave Yates will probably make you one, and there are others who will too.

BTW if you want the classic look you won't be using a carbon fork and that is (IMHO) the only reason for wanting a 1-1/8" steerer. 1" threaded headsets and quill stems are not going away any time soon (in fact Cinelli have reintroduced them) so I would happily get a frame built with a 1" threaded steerer.

BTW Bob Jackson still make a lot of frames with 1" steerers.

If you are on a budget or want a stand-in, a Peugeot 753 frameset is not a bad option; much, much cheaper than a SBDU frame but rides almost as well. I have examples of both BTW.

BTW it is worth looking at Hilary Stone's website because he regularly has very nice steel framesets for sale; some need paint, some don't.

FWIW for most of the 1970s the OTP SBDU frames appeared to come with a standard brake drop of ~52mm, which is almost sensible since it will allow 28mm tyres without mudguards or 25mm ones with.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jrsbike

Post by jrsbike »

Thank you for the responses!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Bob Jackson Cycles | Crafted Bicycle Frame Building Since 1935
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk
Mercian
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames/
Ellis Briggs Cycles
https://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk
Last edited by NUKe on 19 Apr 2018, 6:21am, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Post by Brucey »

sizes 21.5" to 22.5"

http://hilarystone.com/frameset6.html

I just looked and in this size range (if it is the one that fits you) there are at least three or four frames that might be of interest to you, including an incredibly rare SBDU frame in the 753 aero tubeset.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.woodrupcycles.com/bespoke/

I'd recommend thinking about not only the building of the frame - which is the obvious priority - but thinking of the arrangements for delivering it to you in a timely manner. We've had a couple of concerned threads from people, including one American poster, who have experienced problems in this connection with excellent builders but slow delivery. It can be awkward trying to sort out something like that if you live locally but a nightmare long-distance.

I've no recent experience of either company but both Jacksons and Woodrups used to export a lot of their frames to the US when handmade lightweight bikes were more popular so they were geared up for the business.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Pilgrim Cycles in Surrey will build you a bespoke bike on to a classic English steel frame. You have a choice of touring or Audax spec frames, the latter being lighter and with a shorter wheel base and with a choice of frame clearances for various tyre sizes. Equipment wise they have a standard spec or you can specify your own. They have just launched frames suitable for disc brakes as an alternative. I love mine. Unfortunately I don't have any small enough pictures to attach to this post but can email then if requested. Expect about a ten week delivery time. You will find full details on their web site
mig

Post by mig »

i'd say brian rourke but for real classic british definitely mercian cycles in derby.

not cheap though but you gets what you pay for.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Brian Rourke frames are nice, but I think they only tig weld them now, I may be wrong.
Argos still build lugged frames with traditional quill stems and are also very nice.
Beauty will save the world.
laager

Post by laager »

Last edited by laager on 20 Apr 2018, 12:02am, edited 1 time in total.
fastpedaller

Re:

Post by fastpedaller »

laager wrote:If I wanted a steel frame made for me there's only one place I would go, and it's not UK.

Get one from Dario Pegoretti before he stops touching the tools.

Have you ridden one? is it notably better than a uk builder can offer?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Argos in Bristol
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

The Dario Pegoretti frames are very different from those by traditional British touring, audax, or even road builders. Plus, they’re much more expensive.

They don’t interest me (too many gimmicks, too much attention to perfect finishes that don’t suit a bicycle ridden in the real world, and wildly overpriced for the function). But I do think some of his paint jobs are attractive and thought-provoking.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Samuel D wrote:The Dario Pegoretti frames are very different from those by traditional British touring, audax, or even road builders. Plus, they’re much more expensive.

They don’t interest me (too many gimmicks, too much attention to perfect finishes that don’t suit a bicycle ridden in the real world, and wildly overpriced for the function). But I do think some of his paint jobs are attractive and thought-provoking.

Here's your thread!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=121312