What to do with a written-off frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JamesE

What to do with a written-off frame?

Post by JamesE »

My Raleigh Royal touring frame is a write-off after a crash in November. I've been given the OK by the solicitors to dispose of it and I'm wondering what the best way is. The rear triangle is bent sideways an inch or two - probably fixable but not economical for me. I could give it to a bike recycling charity but they mostly seem to want frames in good condition. Anyone know a charity (ideally London-based) that would take a damaged frame, or have any other suggestions beyond "throw it in the metal recycling"?
horizon

Re: What to do with a written-off frame?

Post by horizon »

JamesE wrote: Anyone have any other suggestions beyond "throw it in the metal recycling"?

It's not a bad suggestion. Obviously it's shame to get rid of something that took energy to make or might be of interest but the beauty of bicycles is that (currently) they do mainly recycle. And the metal will get used, will save energy and will save further degradation of the land due to mining. It absolutely isn't the worst solution IMV.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Make a stool.

Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you could offer it for cheap/free here and some enterprising soul may be able to do something with it. [BTW If it is my size, I'll take it off your hands].

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Brucey wrote:you could offer it for cheap/free here and some enterprising soul may be able to do something with it. [BTW If it is my size, I'll take it off your hands].

cheers

That’s among options I’m considering :) Don’t want to give it to someone who doesn’t appreciate the problems involved, but this forum should be fine. (58cm any use to you?)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I think I'd check up with your solicitor on this - if you've received, or are promised, payment for a replacement frame for the one damaged then does it not become technically the property of the person who has paid you out? You'd be paid out on the basis that the frame was beyond use. If I'm wrong on that, then I am and I apologise, but I'd check.

If the frame is beyond safe use for yourself, then it's beyond safe use for anyone. I've been through this twice - the frame builder who wrote me a report and quotation for building new disposed of the frame for me through his metal-recycling system (bike shops do dispose of quite a bit of metal) and the other was taken away by our local council.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

Brucey wrote:you could offer it for cheap/free here and some enterprising soul may be able to do something with it. [BTW If it is my size, I'll take it off your hands].

cheers

i offered a similar frame a while back foc and had a member say yes to it then never heard back from them so if anybody wants one let me know
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

JohnW wrote:I think I'd check up with your solicitor on this - if you've received, or are promised, payment for a replacement frame for the one damaged then does it not become technically the property of the person who has paid you out? You'd be paid out on the basis that the frame was beyond use. If I'm wrong on that, then I am and I apologise, but I'd check.

The solicitor has already said "it's fine to get rid of it". The frame is beyond economical repair, not beyond safe repair - although I still wouldn't want to leave it in any old hands.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

JamesE wrote:
JohnW wrote:I think I'd check up with your solicitor on this - if you've received, or are promised, payment for a replacement frame for the one damaged then does it not become technically the property of the person who has paid you out? You'd be paid out on the basis that the frame was beyond use. If I'm wrong on that, then I am and I apologise, but I'd check.

The solicitor has already said "it's fine to get rid of it". The frame is beyond economical repair, not beyond safe repair - although I still wouldn't want to leave it in any old hands.

Well - there you are then. But, if it's not good enough for you............................
hujev

Post by hujev »

Build your own Frank Berto Derailleur Testing Machine!

... Pictured on this ripoff site, from his book (which is fully worth buying - any of them!):
http://www.khurramhashmi.org/khurramweb ... ide-7.html
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

hujev wrote:... Pictured on this ripoff site, from his book (which is fully worth buying - any of them!):
http://www.khurramhashmi.org/khurramweb ... ide-7.html

blimey, what a trip down memory lane. Berto's writings there mainly illustrate the perceived problems and available choices of about thirty years ago, viewed through a prism that was (naturally enough) tinted by the previous ten or fifteen years of bicycle market (technical and commercial) development.

It is a different World now, or so you would suppose. In fact I do not think the lot of the touring cyclist has appreciably improved since that time....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Has it been assessed for damage elsewhere in the frame as a knock on from the accident.... personally I wouldn't touch it to consider as something to ride in future (even repaired) in case of future failure...

While the stool option might be worth considering... other than that yikes.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

My nice 531 galaxy frame has terminal damage from a side-swipe (out of alignment, buckled top tube etc.). I'm keeping it hanging up in the shed, it has a great sentimental value.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I cut up my damaged frame to use as wheel truing jigs.
The forks for front wheel and the triangle for rears.
I fit them in the bench vice to hold them.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Its a bike not a space ship. Bend it nearly straight and its a pub bike. If you are near the Forest of Dean I'll have it and cut it up to mend my trike.