Brake bolt name

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mike777

Brake bolt name

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

I need to 'try' and buy some fixing bolts for my v brake but I have no idea what they are called and have tried google etc.

Any idea where I can get some from (online) and the correct name (see picture attached)

Many thanks for your time and help

Rehads

Mike
Attachments
20180428_144020_resized_1.jpg
Mike Sales

Re: Brake bolt name

Post by Mike Sales »

Mike777 wrote:Hi all

I need to 'try' and buy some fixing bolts for my v brake but I have no idea what they are called and have tried google etc.

Mike

From your photo you seem to be referring to what I would call the brake block fixing nut. Probably the easiest way of getting one is to buy a pair of replacement blocks as they come equipped. A shop might have one lying around if you ask, since when replacing blocks the old ones are usually discarded.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

+1.

BTW if you have all the washers, you just need an M6 x 1 threaded nut, which is a very common size (they usually have 10mm hexagons). The M6 x 1 nuts that are fitted to brake blocks are special in that they accept a 5mm allen key, and are not easy to source separately.

Most LBSs throw hundreds of the things away every year, since they come with new brake blocks and they almost invariably corrode horribly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Is it as bad as that? I thought about 50% corrode horribly. My sample size isn't very big though.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

alexnharvey wrote:Is it as bad as that? I thought about 50% corrode horribly. My sample size isn't very big though.

give 'em time... :wink: . often the kind of brake blocks that that have replaceable inserts seem to need new nuts every other set of inserts. Mind you, road salt seems especially bad hereabouts...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mike777 wrote:Hi all

Any idea where I can get some from (online) and the correct name (see picture attached)

Many thanks for your time and help

Rehads

Mike

Any local bike shop can give you some for free, if you're not too fussy they may have some light rust outside but this is not a big deal as long as the 5mm hex is still in decent shape (they get rounded off fairly easy).
I'd suggest this over the use of a standard hex-flange nut, because you're most likely to have a 5mm allen key than a 10mm socket on hand.
As you can see the space is quite limited for using a 10mm open wrench (which is the typical size for a flanged M6 nut). This is the reason why the pads would almost always use the allen key: front fitting, not side fitting, means more freedom to work with.

So unless aesthetics are deal-breaker, light rust on the outside won't be a big problem for a useable v-brake pad nut, but use a dab of grease on the thread inside, that's far more important.
And if corrosion is such a big problem, you can get Titanium ones 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

It's a mad world when you can get titanium ones but not stainless steel!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think those are Mervs